"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-04-2005, 03:29 AM   #71
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
GotN, I just really would like to thank you again for your above post. Each and every time I read it, I get lost in my thoughts. As a fellow writer, my words are an extention of my heart. I can only hope to one day be able to publish one of these many open-ended works in progress I have. (The one thing I return to the most is a movie treatment. Yes, it does take place in a restaurant. Go figure!!!)

I'm sadly learning that not only does one NOT become "comfortable in the money department" in this field overnight, but it is very hard to even earn a respectable wage to support a family. I am single and have no children, but I am STILL rubbing nickles together at the end of the month. The bills I have are heavy to me, but miniscule to some. It sometimes does not seem fair, bit fair is not the way of the world. More times than not, you have to make your own breaks. I'm in this situation because I chose to be here. I've never forgotten that. I am the first man or woman in my family to work in the foodservice industry. There are times I wish I never chased this Culinary Arts dream. That said, there are more times I am glad I did.

Reality does set in each and every day though. Though I am younger than you (33), I not young by any means. The wages offered to me are great for an 18 year old. I wish I had started this career then, not at 30. It's getting pretty hard to deal with this, but I am gonna stick it out as long as I can.

Tomorrow will bring new news. I pray for the good variety.

Happy belated birthday to you my friend. I hope it was a fantastic one.

RJ