It's over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:(:)It seems my 10 year job in November and December in Texas has ended, I think.It was a very gainful job but my bosses have debated for years whether to continue or not entertaining friends every weekend during that time.They are going to try to take it a bit easier this year which is OK with me.However I will miss the money and the job.Of couse they may want to try again next year.Who knows.It will be the first year after being married for 10 years that I will actually be home for the first time for Thanksgiving,Christmas and New Years.Missing the Holidays has never been a problem for me as my occupation is unforgiving and I am used to working all Holidays.It never was that bad as HB would come to Texas for Christmas anyway.
It will be interesting being home during these times I already find myself trying to cook and bake in large quantities but with only two people to feed so I give away alot.I have an attic full of Christmas decorations I got as gifts from my boss in Texas over the years like the big Santa Clauses and many more xmas decorations.Its an odd feeling being home this time of year Im just hoping I can actually get into it.

Aw, Jackie, this has to be bittersweet for you. If it were I, I think I would drag out all the decorations and immerse myself in the holiday. Decorate and cook/bake until I drop. There's something fun and invigorating about being carried away with all the activity. The colors, visions and smells of everything would transport me into another "magical" world.

Big hugs to you for the sadness part of your experience.

Aw, Jackie, this has to be bittersweet for you. If it were I, I think I would drag out all the decorations and immerse myself in the holiday. Decorate and cook/bake until I drop. There's something fun and invigorating about being carried away with all the activity. The colors, visions and smells of everything would transport me into another "magical" world.

Big hugs to you for the sadness part of your experience.
:)Well you are great with your response bitter sweet indeed.It will be a big change as I would be down there by now.The strange thing is I started spending alot of money on stones silver etc beads and findings a couple of years ago I have a big collection of necklaces,bracelets and earrings I also make wooden crosses small and really large in the NewMexico tradition painted and wood burned and crosses covered with Milagros (Corazon or anyone that has been in the southwest will know about those)have the fair tent etc.I started about 2 years ago on these projects I guess because maybe a higher power was getting me ready for a new phase in life.
Its a bit of a shock but I truly believe one good thing leads to another.We shall see what we shall see.
Thanks Katie for your support I truly appreciate it, it is indeed a strange transition:(

Doors opening and closing

I see it's Jackie - cool. A door closes making room for another to open. Maybe it's time for a breather between - like this is a new adventure! Home for all these days and a real Chef at that. Wow, you really do work while others kick back. Don't be afraid of it! And you know - in your area there are probably some Holiday Charity feeds going on that would love to have your help. Take a look around.

Last edited:
I see it's Jackie - cool. A door closes making room for another to open. Maybe it's time for a breather between - like this is a new adventure! Home for all these days and a real Chef at that. Wow, you really do work while others kick back. Don't be afraid of it! And you know - in your area there are probably some Holiday Charity feeds going on that would love to have your help. Take a look around.
:)Thanks David I do have the need to feed get it?As opposed of the the need for speed.Top Gun the movie:LOL:

I do not honor Christmas as a spiritual thing but honor the traditions, gift giving, the togatherness of family, the baking the good food and the feeling of good will and the warm fuzzys when I make some thing special for a loved one
Celabrate in moderation as there is a sworn officer of the law would like to talk to you if you don't

:)That job was kind of a breather I got to create and do do pretty much what I wanted and the money was beyond fabulous but an incredibly hard job. I was really good at it.Not just the food but dealing with the eccentrictity(sp?) of this family.Living here on the Ranch I can work but but the cooks here are slackers and basically dont cook from scratch but open a box and heat it up.I cant do that as I love to cook and always want to create a great meal.I will never lose my love of cooking its in my blood. Not only that after this winter some of my ex bosses friends may want to hire me now that I dont work for my first employersl.What ever happens it will be meant to be and in a way Im curious to see what happens next.

Jackie - wishing you the best of luck in what can be a difficult road ahead i.e., you will have to create your own "adventures", deadlines, events to keep you busy as you are used to. Enjoy this holiday season and embrace it. It's all about family and friends who you NOW can be with. You never know what next year brings so enjoy this one!!!!! :flowers:

Jackie,
one door closes and another opens..There is something out there just waiting for YOU! There are always events in our lives that cause us to stop and take stock.Then another event that comes to us and brings happiness and smiles. I believe the happiness and smiles is on it's way to you. I have a new mantra after being sick, always blessings never losses...
Enjoy being at home this year and next year will be even better.
kadesma

Awww, jp, I'm sorry you won't be spending Christmas here in Texas. Since you've been doing it the last 10 years, it is like a tradition so I can see why you're wistful about it. If I were you, I would create a couple of new traditions for you and you're hubby this year so it won't feel so weird. Like trying to break a habit, the best way is to replace it with a new habit! Or....... we could all just come there for Christmas. That way you can keep your culinary skills polished!

Jackie: I remember when I stopped catering, and the great tendency to continue to cook in the great quantities we did for our clients... Ended up with two freezers full of food and had lots of fun giving much of it away, and having friends over to share.

15 years later, I still find it hard to "only" cook for 1 or two, and still enjoy sharing food with family and friends.

You have these wonderful, food-filled holidays coming up that I'm guessing you will enjoy getting to share your delicious creations with the ones you truly love, and after the holidays, many good things will come your way!

That "next door" may swing open sooner than you think.

jj

:)Thanks everyone.I definitly am still cooking I plan on doing alot of holiday cookies etc.Ive got ten people so far for Thanksgiving.So it should be fun.It goes further than that as before my Texas job I worked the Holidays for 11 years so that a total of 21 years working Holidays.Of course it never was that bad to work since I dont have kids.

Last edited:
Jackie, you will adapt to being home now. Find recipes for two and begin organizing and doing stuff you've been wanting to do before. Find hobbies to keep you busy and you'll begin to feel some sort of normalcy staying home. You might even look for a part-time chef position around your area. Relax and enjoy yourself.

Jackie, you will adapt to being home now. Find recipes for two and begin organizing and doing stuff you've been wanting to do before. Find hobbies to keep you busy and you'll begin to feel some sort of normalcy staying home. You might even look for a part-time chef position around your area. Relax and enjoy yourself.
:)I have a few hobbies making jewelry (I have enough to go to a crafts fair)decorative wooden crosses( have a whole bunch of them from small to 5 feet tall) and canvas floor cloths.Trying to learn the wood router right now.Im starting to get into making breads the artisan varieties Ive got the Bread Alone and the La Brea Bakery bread books I made Ciabbatta the other day it was really good.

Back
Top Bottom