"It's the End of the World As We Know It"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Yes indeed ladies and gents, those words are quoted from the song created by R.E.M. Geological records show that the Earth experiences ice ages on a regular time scale. And preceeding every ice age, there is a "warm bubble". where the planet heats up for a brief time (brief in geological time). The last ice age, and it was a minor one, was around the time of the Revolutionary War in the U.S. If the previous climatic patterns continue, we are overdue for the next major ice age. And guess what kids, we are in a warm bubble. So the question has to be asked, are we truly the cause of global climatic change. And can we really do anything about it? I don't have enough data to say that we can or can't do anything about what is happening in our world. Thick of it this way. If the planet was shrunk to the size of a bowling ball, it would be smoother that a bowling ball. Our tallest mountains are only a two to five miles high (I think). The Earth is 7926.28 miles in diameter. That means that those mountains at the scale of a bowling ball, are less that 1/1000 of an inch high. And how big are we compared to a mountain? Of course that also means that the atmosphere isn't very thick either. We are like the size of a bacteria to the planet.

The other side to that coin is that if you have enough bacteria, they can change whatever it is that they are on. Think of how small bacteria are compared to a person. And yet, if there are enough bacteria on the body, they can completely digest the body (Ok, it's kind of a gross analogy, but it does get the point across).

And here's an even scarier scenario, that is completely possible. The North and South poles switch places every so many million years. And again, it's on a regular time period. When the poles exchange places, we completely lose the Van Allen belts that protect the planet from cosmic radiation. When that happens, the radiation from space, and the sun, will devastate all life on Earth. According to geological records, guess when that is supposed to take place. That's right, sometime soon.

And then there are the major religions of the world. All fo them predict that some great change is to take place somewhere around the time period we live in, give or take a few hundred years. And many of these religions never were influenced by other religions until recently. And the predictions were made a few thousand years back.

Is it all just coincidence, or is there a greater schedule going on that we have no control over?

I'm not an alarmist by nature. Nor am I superstitious. I am religious (and yes I understand that some people view that as superstition in itself). I didn't believe anything catastrophic would happen in the 80's when all the planets lined up. Nor did I believe anything would happen in the year 2000. I feel the same way about the year 2012. I'll believe it when I see it. But I do ponder, sometimes, the workings of the universe, on a grand scale. And I do believe that something major is going to happen, maybe not in my lifetime, but relatively soon. And maybe it will happen in my lifetime.

Oh, and one more little piece of info, there is a super-volcano building under yellowstone. And it's predicted that when it goes, it will change the planet.

So what can we do about any of these things? All we can really do is continue to live our lives, and hope we are no longer alive when they occur. All of those things that I listed will happen. When, I have no clue, and am not sure I would want to know. So I will continue to believe what I believe, try to contribute to society in my own way, and try to make life easier for my family while I draw air into my lungs. And I will continue to enjoy the natural beauty of the Great Lakes region, or wherever I may happen to be. Because I am a very little creature compared to the universe I live in. And what I do affects very little of this world. I will try to behave myself environmentally. I'll try to give back as much as I take. And that's all I can do.

For now, I'm working on enjoying the Christmas Season. And I make no apologies for it.

And just so's everyone knows, the U.S. Constitution does not bar prayer in schools, or in public places. Nor does it say that you can't have references to God in public or national spaces. It does say that there will be no state, or national religion, and that all people have the right to practice their religious beliefs, so long as they don't infringe upon others.

But then, that's another topic for discussion, and one that may get too heated to discuss here.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Your last paragraph seems very out of place. You have a whole page where you are discussing the end of the world and natural occurrences that might bring that end and then the last paragraph you discuss prayer in school? Tell the truth GW, have you been hitting the eggnog a little early this year ;)

No GB, not hitting the egg nog. I just get frustrated that other people are able to force their beliefs upon me and my family. The U.S. seems to be a place where the few can dictated the lifestyles of many. I'm of the live and let live temperment. If one decides to believe whatever, then it's Ok with me, as long as I'm given the same courtesy. I knew that the last paragraph was a mistake after I posted. It shouldn't have been placed in the text. Their are too many strong opinions for the topic to fly smoothly. As for the whole post, it was opened as a place for anyone who wants to discuss the topic, and allow the thread which inspired it to return to the original premise of the author.

And I don't think we have anything to worry about in the near future. I don't think any of those things mentioned will happen any time soon.

Rats! Now I feel like a wet blanket. That wasn't my intent. I'd rather lift people's spirits. I guess I'm having an off-day.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

omg, thank you. thank you my brother.

thank you for finally making me look good!

lol, j/k.

any intelligent person has those times when all that info in our noggins gets overwhelming and we need to spew some out, often in clumsy juxtaposition to the goodness in our souls.

no matter. we know you as the good mr. goodweed.

if the world is going to heck in a handbasket, there are few people who i'd want right next to me. the question is will god spare us if there's 50 good people, or 10, or just you. :)

ya nutcase.

And I don't think we have anything to worry about in the near future. I don't think any of those things mentioned will happen any time soon.

Rats! Now I feel like a wet blanket. That wasn't my intent. I'd rather lift people's spirits. I guess I'm having an off-day.

I don't think we have anything to worry about in the near future, either. However, Shrek and I made a calculated choice in moving closer to Yellowstone than just the breath-taking scenery. When Yellowstone goes, we want to be gone in the same flash, not wait for it to come to us. Yes, we have discussed this possibility. Ice Age, pfft! I think we'll be fine.

Environment, I do my best to reduce, reuse and recycle. I still need the go-buggy to get to work, so I'm going to drive it. I'm not crazy about riding a bike in the dark.

You are not a "wet blanket" I thoroughly enjoyed your post and was cheering all the way, even through the last paragraph. Thanks, GW!

Good Weed mate, thanks for PMing me with your spice mix for "fried chicken" I used it in conjuction with your method on tuesday night when we had some friends over, It went down a treat, I claimed it as my own invention.It is all the more sweet because we got to try it before we are doomed;)May I say mate as an aethiest I would stand shoulder to shoulder with you to defend those rights.

omg, thank you. thank you my brother.

thank you for finally making me look good!

lol, j/k.

any intelligent person has those times when all that info in our noggins gets overwhelming and we need to spew some out, often in clumsy juxtaposition to the goodness in our souls.

no matter. we know you as the good mr. goodweed.

if the world is going to heck in a handbasket, there are few people who i'd want right next to me. the question is will god spare us if there's 50 good people, or 10, or just you. :)

ya nutcase.

Got bad new for you, BT. None of us are getting off of this world alive. Even the planet has a finite time span. The sun will eventually burn out, and go nova on us, burning everything in this solar system to a cinder. But until it happens, I'm launching a four foot wide snowball your way with my new-improved, super-stretchy snow-boulder thrower. Now let's see, hmmm, a little more to the left, and up 3 degrees, four seconds. That should do it.

Whump! That was the sound of a very large virtual snowball launching from Sault Ste. Marie, MI. How's your catching arm?:ROFLMAO:

"None of us are getting off of this world alive."

That's why we need to ramp up the space program. I'm glad people are doing it without the government, but that's no reason the government shouldn't do it too.

"None of us are getting off of this world alive."

That's why we need to ramp up the space program. I'm glad people are doing it without the government, but that's no reason the government shouldn't do it too.

Bravo, TaxLady I agree completely.

Back
Top Bottom