"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

my house has some different items, hand me downs and other peoples throw aways. i have a metal glider in my sun room that i use for seating. my rocking chair belonged to my 6'4" dad. he had it custom made. i make new pillow covers for the seat every once in awhile which changes the room. a neighbor gave me a cast off small book case a couple of weeks ago. the top was not the best. i found stick on tiles left from my kitchen and covered the top. made a pad matching the rocker pillow so the cats can be comfortable.

everything i have, has a story, which i won't bore everyone with. i like my odds and ends furniture, most of it i have painted white. that with blue pillows etc, give a cottage feel. i love to re purpose things.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
my house has some different items, hand me downs and other peoples throw aways. i have a metal glider in my sun room that i use for seating. my rocking chair belonged to my 6'4" dad. he had it custom made. i make new pillow covers for the seat every once in awhile which changes the room. a neighbor gave me a cast off small book case a couple of weeks ago. the top was not the best. i found stick on tiles left from my kitchen and covered the top. made a pad matching the rocker pillow so the cats can be comfortable.

everything i have, has a story, which i won't bore everyone with. i like my odds and ends furniture, most of it i have painted white. that with blue pillows etc, give a cottage feel. i love to re purpose things.
You are creating a home as opposed to just furnishing a house.
Thats what it is all about

Old 05-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Our home would make your eyes pop. I'm not in to fancy furniture although I love leathers and my family room is dark brown leather and wood and marble tables, the other rooms I've never bothered to finish DH and I go head to head over the floors I like wood and a throw rug he wants wall to wall. The thing I fool with and love most are the angels I collect for my Christmas tree. My tree is my baby, with white lights silver and gold ornaments and lots of crystal rain drops I feel I have a beautiful tree and love each angel We just finished the end of February taking it down, My DH felt so bad that I'd missed Christmas and all he refused to let the girls take it down.I have all kinds of crystal, china,napkins and such and only use them special times. Like Katie and Beth I love picking up things at yard sales painting on roof tiles which I'm doing today You might not care for my treasures thinking them JUNK but I love them and wouldn't give them up for anything. And I'd never dare to think what a mess of your home is or you treasures, Keep them, love them and enjoy. Please remember when we write a post here nobody can see the expression on our face so so take us at our word, We might be kidding and anting to make others laugh, but instead we rub their feathers the wrong way, Use the Smileys thea are along side they help get across what we mean,
kadesma
Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I agree with you Kadesma about using the smileys. Words don't mean the same things to everyone, but the addition of an appropriate smiley will often get across the way we mean them.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
You are creating a home as opposed to just furnishing a house.
Thats what it is all about
Amen!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

One of these days I will have all my teapots and tea cups out of their boxes and on display. But, I'm not sure what to do with the books.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:00 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Selkie mate my addiction is for watches, pens, lighters ect from one maker.
I love things of quality and beauty and have found them to be a better investment than institutional investing.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #18
Master Chef

I tend to like things simple, well, to be honest with you, it makes it easier to clean house.