"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
Executive Chef

It's the Little Things

Yesterday, as I opened the package to my latest on-line purchase, a fine point fountain pen to add to my small collection, I couldn't help but reflect on how many little things out of the ordinary in function or design I have or use that bring me a smile and pleasure. It's not that I have a lot of "things," but many of the everyday items I do use are... different. For instance, the letter opener has an embroidered handle and it rests in a small brass pitcher along with the scissors and loose pens and pencils. My silverware chest is nearly empty because it's contents are in the kitchen drawer for everyday use. A water cup kept on my desk is in the shape of a Hawaiian Tiki Totem Pole, and the one in the bathroom is hand painted oriental porcelain. My journal is leather bound, and as I said earlier, I write using a fountain pen. These are just a very few examples of eclectic items that grace my life by helping remove my life style from the ordinary.

Now, I realize that not everyone expresses their uniqueness in the same way and I try not to be judgmental, but those of us who have a skewed mind... often also have a creativeness and perhaps even a compulsion to be different in many respects. We look for that quality in others... kindred spirits, I suppose. I certainly don't want to be viewed as "ordinary." That would be the greatest insult!

Do you express your uniqueness?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I guess I do too. One of the things I like about starting over is adding those unique items.

A comforter has turned into a decorative cover for an old ugly recliner, the matching sham is now a folded in half stuffed with an old flat pillow, also folded in half for a comfortable back cushion.

A pretty, straight sided flower pot is used in the kitchen as a place for short handled tools such as the meat thermometer, peelers, marker for freezer containers, pens and 3x5 cards.

I crocheted a bunch of sunflowers with coffee colored centers and bright yellow petals, and use them as coasters for beverages or plants. Someday I'll make a sunflower cap.

I like rotating plants, decorative items, colors so that it's fresh and interesting every day. Little changes that evolve into bigger changes.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Point taken.

Although the coffee cups...
Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've always "danced to a different drummer" when it comes to my surroundings. I find unusual uses for ordinary items. For example, I have a miniature (about 12 inches tall) wrought metal gazing ball stand. It's very graceful and I like its color, so I turned it into a stand for a silk flower arrangement that sits on a glass table in our living room.

Many years ago I found a beautiful wall-mounted garden hose holder that was just too pretty to hold something as simple as a hose. That became the "cradle" for our front door silk flower arrangement. The holder is scroll-like and has the most wonderful verdigris patina. I just couldn't put a hose on it.

I've turned, what I deem as, unique table napkins into pillow covers for our sofa. Used an old child's chair as a small table in one of the bedrooms and I search for unusual china and silver for display and table use.

I've also been a "collector" all my life and have accumulated quite an array of different (some may say strange) objects I hang on our walls as art. One of my favorites is a beautiful needlepoint glasses case that is matted and framed and hangs on a wall in the living room. The case was never sewed together, so the "art" appears to be something it's not. It's gorgeous and I bought it for 50 cents at a yard sale.

I spent most of my working life as a decorator and designer, which allowed me to have great fun with my quirky sense of design for my clients. No one ever complained. Now that I'm retired, I do it with abandon for us.

However we express ourselves, I think everyone does what they are the most comfortable with and what makes them happy, however elegant, eclectic, or simple it may be. And, thank goodness, we're all different.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I am kinda into creating pieces of art that are meant for every day use; like pot holders, place mats, table runners, table cloths and matching napkins, Christmas tree skirts, aprons, baby blankets. I feel better picking up a stunning pot holder rather than a cheap one bought somewhere. And I also use family heirlooms and don't keep them stored away.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Hmmm..and here I was, all set to say that I express my uniqueness with my coffee cup collection.......
Not really... However, I do have numerous coffee cups and such that were gifts from various and assorted friends, neighbors and loved ones that were brought tor me from far and away places that I will likely never have the opportunity to visit. and frankly, I wouldn't trade them for gold.
I appreciate what is intended by the original post...just goes to show that everyone has different views and opinions and as such, it is what makes the world such an interesting place.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Every day I leave home for work I am dressed appropriately as a nurse, white shoes, printed top with matching pants. Hair back, plain nails and no makeup or perfume. Just don't look at my socks. Anything from Hello Kitty to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Nothing in my home matches, furniture is selected for comfort, not looks. I tend to buy my dishes one or two pieces at a time, so maybe something will match...depends on my mood. Shrek and I have favorite dishes we like to eat from and flatware is different, too. We often eat the same meal on apparently mis-matched plates...nope just our favorites. I drink my coffee from a laboratory beaker...
Old 05-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Master Chef

Now about those coffee cups!

I had to go count mine and I have 67 of them on display in my sanctuary. They all have meaning and some of them have value.

I understand what you mean though and I am very much the same. I collect many things and I am always curious about how people react to my things and to my surroundings. I can tell alot about people from those reactions.

I am the youngest in my family and I think the collecting trait is common among the youngest. Maybe it is due to all of those hand me downs.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Now about those coffee cups!

I had to go count mine and I have 67 of them on display in my sanctuary. They all have meaning and some of them have value.

I understand what you mean though and I am very much the same. I collect many things and I am always curious about how people react to my things and to my surroundings. I can tell alot about people from those reactions.

I am the youngest in my family and I think the collecting trait is common among the youngest. Maybe it is due to all of those hand me downs.
No offense intended.

Would you like some more? (Just teasing!) My ex- left a box of them in the basement. I couldn't even give them away during my last yard sale. But then, most of them hold no meaning for me except a few that represent worthless holiday gifts from managers who charged them off to the company as advertising. Can we all say, "Thoughtless and cheap!?"

Like you, I also have a few modest collections that sometimes draw attention. Books, oil lamps and antique cameras are the most obvious.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
Master Chef

I am not offended and if any of the coffee cups are made by Syracuse china send them along!

Most people get a kick out of my collections. The only one that gets annoyed is the mail carrier. It seems like he is always lugging a package up the stairs.