It's Time To Cut The Cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I'm tired of doing battle with the cable company (Comcast/Fios) over their high prices. I've decided to "cut the cord".

I have a triple play package including cable, internet and phone. I plan to keep the internet connection and drop the other two. That's the easy part.

As I don't have a smart tv, I have to get a streaming device (or several) and sign up with a streaming service.

I've done some preliminary research and have some ideas but I'm aware I don't know a lot about the subject.

Please share your experiences and knowledge on the subject.

We have 2 Sony DVD players and were watching Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime services through the DVD player. BUT Sony isn't playing well with ANY of them so we can't watch through the DVD players any more. DD bought a ROKU device and it is SO MUCH better. You can get the above services plus apps for sports, movie channels etc. WE LOVE IT! She got it from Amazon. Tiny little box and an HDMI cord for $26.99. If you have a TV that can connect to the internet (wireless) and has HDMI connections this is the way to go. I have never had a Smart TV so no clue how they work.

roku_1.jpg

roku_2.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express...ef=sr_1_5?keywords=roku&qid=1571445843&sr=8-5

Andy, we purchased a "smart TV" not long ago, and we were both astounded at how affordable they have become. I'd start there. Our 39" Vizio was $200. We love it!!!

Last edited:
I cut the cord years ago, about the same time I got rid of my landline and went strictly to cell phone use. As Kay said, I bought a smart TV for less than $200. It's also a Vizio. I have a subscription to Netflix and I also have Amazon Prime. Tons of movies that you can buy or rent and tons of movies that come as part of my Prime subscription.

I also have a non-smart TV hooked up to a Roku.

Last edited:
Good info folks. Thanks.

We lean towards network tv and local sports rather than lots of movies and mini series.

There are lots of streaming services to choose from.

I haven't had cable in years. I do have Hulu plus with HBO and Showtime, Prime Video, Netflix, high-speed internet, a smart TV, Amazon Fire Stick, and a broadcast antenna.

I don't get everything but I do get most stuff I want to watch.

I haven't had cable in years. I do have Hulu plus with HBO and Showtime, Prime Video, Netflix, high-speed internet, a smart TV, Amazon Fire Stick, and a broadcast antenna.

I don't get everything but I do get most stuff I want to watch.

Hulu Plus, Prime, Netflix, All cost extra don't they? At some point, does all that approach cable level costs?

Hulu Plus, Prime, Netflix, All cost extra don't they? At some point, does all that approach cable level costs?

Yes, they all cost, but Hulu, in mu experience, was the biggest waste of money. Despite paying for the service, I still had to endure commercials. Axed that service as well.

I cut the cord years ago. I did keep my internet on cable, but I need that for business, and can deduct it as a business expense.

I have an AppleTV unit on each of my two TVs. But, they do basically the same thing as other devices, such as Roku.

I have tried a couple of streaming services, such as Amazon Prime, and HULU. I don't watch enough TV shows to justify the regular monthly expense. I buy episodes or seasons of the few shows I do watch from iTunes. Basically, a la carte TV viewing. I probably average less than 20 bucks a month for TV shows that I really want to watch, and maybe 10 bucks for movie rentals.

I also have a good digital broadcast antennae to get my local Dallas channels. The only gap I have is being able to get Steelers games live where I live. Since you live in the city where your team is located, that should not be an issue for you.

CD

Linda0818 said:
Yes, they all cost, but Hulu, in mu experience, was the biggest waste of money. Despite paying for the service, I still had to endure commercials. Axed that service as well.
Hulu plus is mostly commercial free but there is a less expensive subscription option that has the normal number of commercials. If I was going to reduce entertainment cost Hulu would be first to go. Especially since more network shows are going onto their network's own streaming service, but you can still watch the last five aired episodes from the networks without any subscription.

Not interested in advising other people how to spend their money. Just answering the original question.

We have a Smart TV in the living room, with a digital antenna, and non-smart TVs in the kitchen and an upstairs bedroom. We have Roku devices on the second two. It works great, like msmofet said. You can also get apps for services like Pandora and YouTube.
If you have Amazon Prime for the shopping service, you already have access to Prime movies, etc. We have regular Hulu, which is less expensive than Plus, and Netflix. We always mute commercials anyway, so they don't bother me much. What we have is less expensive than cable was and we have more choices.

I'd say in general, Hulu is more for getting cable TV shows and Netflix is more for getting original series and movies. I think there's a website where you can find out which local channels you can access with a digital antenna. DH told me about it, so I don't know what it is, sorry.

It's easy enough to find out which local stations can be received in your area with a TV listings app. If you search with "antenna"as your service, it shows them all. We get about 70 stations out here in the boonies, but more than half of them are junk channels: shopping, Spanish (me no hobla), duplicates. While Himself watches reruns of old and older shows, plus old movies, I still have plenty to choose from with my interests in local/network shows, PBS, and a few select reruns.

I have a triple play package including cable, internet and phone. I plan to keep the internet connection and drop the other two. That's the easy part.

Have you priced what the cost difference is between triple play and Internet only?

I cut the cord on my TV three years ago. I just watch Amazon, Netflix, and the occasional sports stream. We still have triple play (Verizon Gigabit Internet) for my wife’s TV. When I last checked, Internet only was close in cost to the triple play. My contract is up in December so we’ll have to figure out what to do soon.

Spectrum cable internet only, Netflix, & Amazon Prime Video...

Internet............$66/month
Netflix..............$16/month
Amazon Prime...$119/annually

Internet service in America is a total ripoff. We pay more for service, and get lower speeds compared to most first-world countries. As of 2019, the US ranks 15th for internet speeds. And, we pay higher prices.

So, you kind of have to separate internet from the total price of cable and satellite TV. You pretty much need to have internet service these days, but cable/satellite TV is very optional.

CD

I cut the cable several years ago and use AirTV.

Like CG mentioned I pick up approx. 30 channels including the major networks, PBS, and a few others that are of value to me.

All it took was a $10.00 antenna from Walmart.

This site will give you an idea of what is possible in your area, just punch in your zip code. Your experience may vary depending on obstructions, local interference, etc... but it is a good indicator of what is avaialable over the air.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

I also use this AirTV guide, just punch in your zip code.

https://nocable.org/tv-guide

Good luck!

Thank You Aunt Bea!

This Nocable.org is a Fantastic Help!

I have one of those Good antennas, but had no idea there was so much stuff on there!

And an actual TV Guide to boot.

Thank You very much, Eric, Austin Tx.

When we moved into this apartment, I cut the cord.

That lasted 3 months. There are things we wish to watch live and are simple to access.

Our devices are our main form of entertainment so, we choose to have what we have..

Ross

At the rate the cable companies are increasing prices, Direct TV NOW being the latest to increase prices, a whole piece of the economy is only going to be hurt in the long run.

If the cord cutting continues on the pace it is going for 10 more years 40-50% less people are going to have a bundle of Cable TV channels. That at some point of time is going to have an impact even on networks like USA, TNT, and discovery.

As much as I do not like the yearly increases something is going to have to give upstream.

Back
Top Bottom