I've made a huge decision...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go for it, beginner_chef! Having been a patient quite a bit for the last several years, I've met lots of nurses ;) and there are all kinds of opportunities. Several of the LPNs who cared for me were working on their bachelor's in nursing or getting additional training to become RNs, so once you're in and working, you can continue your education; sometimes the hospital will even help pay for your education, because there aren't enough nurses.

As someone else said, if you and hubby can afford for you to go to school full-time long enough to become an RN, your salary will be much more, but if not, you can work and continue to study later.

And once you're a nurse, there are lots of options - emergency room, medical/surgical unit, obstetrics, neonatology, surgery, doctors' offices, home health, nursing homes, etc. And if you get bored with all that ;) if you live near an academic medical center after you have some experience, you can be a research nurse.

The need for nurses will only grow as the baby boomers age, retire and need more health care. Good luck.

Welcome to the Club BC! I went to college for a year then transferred into a 3 year diploma program. Worked as a nurse in several hospitals, schools and doctors offices for 25 years. Working in a nursing home, you have a wealth of experienced nurses right there available for advice. They will most likely know which programs in your area put out the best nurses and can help you find the right program for you. I think a 2 year program is a great place to start. A lot of community colleges offer this type of program and are usually very inexpensive compared to 4 year colleges. I would suggest starting there. Once you get your RN, you can take classes to get that BSN. Good luck!

hmmm, a cross between a cheerleader and a nurse. i think i read about that one in a picture magazine once... ;)

good luck, bc.

someone told me around 400 years ago that the time to take chances in life (in regards to a career) was when you are young, before the full responsibilities have descended upon you. also, fear of failure will prevent you from ever getting anywhere in life, so i'd say go for it!

if you and your hubby can manage it, i'd recommend that you go to school full time, and devote all of your efforts into succeeding at this. i lived with a nurse for a while, and i remember many of her courses required a lot of rote exercises, so focus and concentration are paramount.

just remember that things worth doing are often difficult.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom