I've never stolen cheese.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
roadfix said:
But I always pay for cheese. In fact, I've never stolen a food item in my life.

So, Roadfix, what exactly HAVE you stolen? We won't tell.

Adweek says filet mignon (followed by Jameson whisley - is it the easily stashed small bottles?) is the overall most stolen item of all. They're talking about shoplifting. The UK Center For Retail Research says it's cheese there and that 4% of all cheese on the shelves is stolen. I suspect that "filet mignon" means those rather generic "filets" sold sealed in plastic. They're small and nicely sealed. Cheese is no doubt a popular target with professionals on account of it being so easy to resell. Far more stores and eateries sell and use cheese than filet mignon. Meat's still popular with amateurs. Caught one because he had sausage stuffed in his pants, and the checker knew him (small town) and knew there was more showing than she remembered.

In the days when cigarettes were stocked on open aisles, they unquestionably were the most stolen items, also because they could be so easily resold, to small rogue stores or on the street corner. It's always professional thieves who determine what tops the list. Cigarettes may well be the largest stolen product in terms of value, but it's now done by traveling gangs who have a fairly elaborate routine of stealing a truck, smashing a rural convenience store window, loading up the store's own garbage cans with cigarettes, and using the truck to transport them the short distance to where they left their own truck. $5,000 per job. Very hard to catch. In and out in less than two minutes. The only ones we ever caught attracted attention by traveling as a convoy at 4:00 a.m. and being mistaken for drug transporters.

I once shoplifted a 5¢ package of bubble gum. I was probably about eight year old. I did it at the instigation of a neighbour kid who wanted the baseball card. I didn't like the way I felt afterwards. Haven't shoplifted since then - 50+ years, but as vitauta wrote, I'm really glad I haven't need to.

I just read an artical that named filet the most stolen. I would be tempted by the cheese first myself but I have never stolen anything. I wonder if stollen is stolen.

4meandthem said:
I just read an artical that named filet the most stolen. I would be tempted by the cheese first myself but I have never stolen anything. I wonder if stollen is stolen.

:LOL: I saw on the Today Show where it's high end meats and booze that are most popularly stolen, along with Gillette razors.

I am such a cheese lover that my husband jokes with our local purveyer that most women want a box of chocolates, his wants some good blue.

The best food theft I know of was a restaurant called John Dominius in Honolulu. When we lived there it was a very high end restaurant, and its best feature was a fake river that went through the restaurant, filled with lobsters (both pacific and New England) and other shellfish. The waiters would wade into the fake river and pick up whatever you wanted. One day some one drove up before the restaurant was open (when they were doing prep), grabbed a lobster in each hand, and drove off. It really was a major heist!

Back
Top Bottom