Jamie Oliver's Great Escape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
his new series starts tonight on UK TV. He is touring Italy and cooking various local delicacies wherever he finds himself. It should be good!

Also tonight a new series of River Cottage - Hugo Fearnley-Whittingstall's cookery series...

Wednesday night is cookery night for the Autumn schedules!:)

How nice, Ishbel - I'm jealous! I won't get to see any of these shows. Jamie Oliver used to be featured on the Food Network, but not anymore. The station format seems to have changed - I think the focus has been shifted to capture a wider demographic - shows about food that are meant to be entertaining, like the history of pop culture foods (salt water taffy(!), Tootsie Rolls, gum) with fewer actual cooking demonstrations. The cooking demonstrations that remain are okay, but the variety is missing. I'm sort of tired of Emeril. I miss The Two Fat Ladies, I liked Jamie Oliver and I'd love to at least see if Nigella Lawson lives up to her press. I do catch a few interesting shows on the Public Broadcasting network, when I remember to look! Sandyj

Nigella's shows were good - I really enjoyed all but the last series, which I felt had been cobbled together.

Jamie's series are great, and so is Hugh F-W.

It's a pity you don't get some of our shows over there. One of the two fat ladies (the living one!) had a bookshop for cooks in Edinburgh, but Kyles told me she had closed it recently. She has made 2 or 3 series since the death of Jennifer. They were food and countryside matters made with an old friend of hers from schooldays called Johnny. A real old English gentleman... they go huntin, shootin and fishin and then she cooks something. The scenery is good too!

My favourite Scottish chef, Nick Nairn, has had a few series on TV, and now regularly appears on Ready, Steady, Cook - where 2 chefs are given a bag containing various ingredients (from 2 members of the public) and have to concot various dishes from those ingredients, supplemented with all the usual kitchen pantry things, like butter, eggs, cream, milk, flour and herbs etc.

As far as I know, we have no US chefs on any of our main channels anymore. I do recall seeing that grande dame, J Childs many years ago though! (we may get a couple on the day-time cable ones). Years ago when my family was younger and I spent more time at home during the day, I saw a little French-American chap, but his accent was almost impenetrable and I didn't really like his style of cooking.

The first cooking show I ever saw was in South Africa, in the early '90s - it featured a motherly Scottish (I think) woman, and she would do what I came to believe were typically old fashioned Scottish or English foods - a grand breakfast with porridge, eggs, sausage, or a tea with homemade jam & scones & fresh cream, or roasts & all the tirmmings. She always featured the very freshest of local ingredients. I really enjoyed watching her - wish I could remember her name. I credit that show with piqueing my interest in cooking.

Was it this woman?

I think she's a bit 'scary'... :chef:

http://www.rosemaryshrager.co.uk/

There was a long-running UK series called Farmhouse Kitchen in the 70s/80s which was based in Yorkshire. There were some great recipes on the series! In fact, the carrot cake I make is based on a recipe from a programme broadcast in the 70s:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Nope, I don't think so. Your lady does look a bit formidable....my lady had shorter, curlier hair I think. The Farmhouse Kitchen show sounds more like it. In SA those days there were two pitiful channels, SABC and M-Net, a cable service. Due to sanctions and probably also lack of money, they didn't broadcast very much that was current - so a 70's/80's cooking show debuting there in the 90's makes sense.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom