"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #11
Master Chef

That's great, jkath, thanks!

I think I'll start with a three-prong attack! Tonight I'll move my basil closer to the bird house. I'll then try the soapy water trick tomorrow morning. If that doesn't work, I'll buy a hot pepper and make the garlic-pepper brew (there's just something about putting beetles in my blender that turns me off! ).

Old 07-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef

You should be able to find sevin dust at Walmart, Home Depot etc.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Just after my neighbor complemented me on my big pot of basil on the porch yesterday, I noticed that it's suddenly been attacked by Japanese Beatles. In fact, several plants around our back yard are now showing damage by them!

Can anyone give me some advice on how to get rid of the beatles/prevent the plant damage by using something other than that Bag-A-Bug contraption? I hate the thought of loosing all of my plants this early in the year!!!
I know just how you feel pa..We live in the country and the land next door is used to grow silage, or corn for cattle feed.Lovely til it gets silks then my yard goes hurting because of the catapillers that invade everything!! I could just bay at the moon somethimes. My yard is large and I feel like I'm chasing myself trying to pick catapillars off fruit,veggies, trees, flowers..Yeesh..Once they cut and bale it will be over thank goodness, but there is still many days left before they do that...Hope you find something to keep the bugs away...Seven should do it and it's safe within reason..Just follow the directions.
kadesma
Old 07-12-2005, 08:04 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
You got a sushi eatin' Beatle over there? Its a friend of MINE. OR...... do they have bowl hair cuts and play in a band?
Old 07-12-2005, 08:08 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
"Hey Ringo, give me some of the Fugu!" AYE!
Old 07-13-2005, 12:40 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Found this site, may help a little. I think you and your neighbors should all get the spiked shoes and run around your yards to get rid of the pests. :)

http://www.gardensalive.com/article....cd2=1121272758

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...423510651.html
Old 07-13-2005, 01:23 PM   #17
Master Chef

Thanks, icy! Since I posted this yesterday, I haven't had any more on my basil. Maybe they heard about everyone's advice and got scared! At least I'll be prepared if they return!

But last night when I was watering my tomatoes, I found seven of my least favorite summer pest--tomato horn worms! Here's a picture of them if you're curious http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...sts/tomato.htm
They are fascinating in how they camouflage themselves but oh-so-ugly too! They strip the leaves clear off the branches. I got DH out to pick them off for me! He's good for something!
Old 07-14-2005, 01:44 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I have seen those before on plants in Florida. As a child I was scared to death of them because my brother told me that they would stick their horn in you and cut your hand up. I had nightmares about the stupid little things.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:19 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyMist
I have seen those before on plants in Florida. As a child I was scared to death of them because my brother told me that they would stick their horn in you and cut your hand up. I had nightmares about the stupid little things.
LOL, icy, I'm still scared of them! DH was in charge of pulling them off the plants and dropping them into a bucket of water to drown. I supervised from a safe distance!
Old 07-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #20
Hospitality Queen

When I was little, I had a naughty cousin who lived next door who squished them with her shoes! My mother got so mad, since they made such a mess on the cement!