Japanese cooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joachim

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I heard (and read) in Japan the apprenticeship of a cook lasts for 9 years!
:ermm:

I couldn't even imagine to be an apprentice for 9 years! In Germany most apprentices quit prematurely although they only need to learn for 3 years...
:neutral:

A German chef who had worked in Hongkong told me that Asian cooks are actually superior...

What do you think about all that? Should a chef-to-be go to Japan instead of France or Italy?
:chef:

...Should a chef-to-be go to Japan instead of France or Italy?
:chef:

If a chef wanted to learn Japanese cooking, using Japanese equipment and foods, yes. If you want to learn French or Italian cooking, they should not.

I don't think an apprenticeship of 9 years would put me off if I wanted to be a classically trained professional chef. It took me several years of school and many years in various entry level or mid level positions to become a so called "expert" in my field. To me it was no big deal, just part of the journey. These days it seems like everyone wants to start at the top and fake it while hanging on for dear life! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

As far as where to go, I would start where you are and earn as you learn. Each time you outgrow a place move on and hopefully move up.

Go to the library and check out Jacques Pepin's autobiography.

The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen: Jacques Pépin: 9780618444113: Amazon.com: Books

Good luck!

EDIT: I just found this article wanted to include it.

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/life-changing-lessons-jacques-pepin?xid=soc_socialflow_facebook_fw

Last edited:
If a chef wanted to learn Japanese cooking, using Japanese equipment and foods, yes. If you want to learn French or Italian cooking, they should not.

Hello,

what I learned people study French or Italian cooking because they consider either the one or the other the best way of cooking at all. I feel it is their firm belief which provides the determination that is required to go through all the trouble to become a great chef. I don't think a maître like for example Jacques Pépin would be happy if he doubted he had chosen the best of all kinds of "cuisine".
:)

Hello,

what I learned people study French or Italian cooking because they consider either the one or the other the best way of cooking at all. I feel it is their firm belief which provides the determination that is required to go through all the trouble to become a great chef. I don't think a maître like for example Jacques Pépin would be happy if he doubted he had chosen the best of all kinds of "cuisine".
:)

I disagree. I believe an aspiring chef usually chooses the cuisine he is most familiar with. JP grew up in France, it's reasonable to assume he would want to cook in the style of French chefs.

Of course, a person who grew up in France may become intrigued with Chinese or Indian cooking and travel to China/India to learn there.

Not because it's "The best kind of cooking" but because they are especially interested in it. It's not a contest just a preference.

I thought the extended Japanese apprenticeship was for sushi chefs?
Like the three years of only making rice to get it down pat!
Seems I saw something on this very subject.

I disagree. I believe an aspiring chef usually chooses the cuisine he is most familiar with. JP grew up in France, it's reasonable to assume he would want to cook in the style of French chefs.

Of course, a person who grew up in France may become intrigued with Chinese or Indian cooking and travel to China/India to learn there.

Not because it's "The best kind of cooking" but because they are especially interested in it. It's not a contest just a preference.

Actually, the majority of culinary schools primarily teach "classical cuisine," which is French. The curriculum usually includes sections on International Cuisines, but the emphasis is French.

Last edited:
Actually, the majority of culinary schools primarily teach "classical cuisine," which is French. The curriculum usually includes sections on International Cuisines, but the emphasis is French cuisine.

OK, but first you have to choose the cuisine you're interested in. If you live in France and have an all consuming desire to be a sushi chef, you're going to pursue the appropriate education.

Just speaking about Americans, it's expensive enough to go to culinary school, much less travel to another country for several years of training. In general, if people go to culinary school, they'll be taught classical French cuisine with others as more of an add-on and get specific cuisine training in the restaurants they choose to apply to.

Just speaking about Americans, it's expensive enough to go to culinary school, much less travel to another country for several years of training. In general, if people go to culinary school, they'll be taught classical French cuisine with others as more of an add-on and get specific cuisine training in the restaurants they choose to apply to.

Yes, I agree.

Sushi

Hello @ll,

according to the author Amy Trubek it was once normal in Europe too that an apprenticeship could take up to nine years.

When I was an apprentice in Germany we were always told French and Italian cooks had a kind of patriotic attitude. We were explained that would be good for us because German cooks are in comparison very open-minded and eclectic. They deliver whatever they are asked to produce, no matter whether the recipes are French or Italian (or Japanese).

I never considered to go to Japan because firstly there's a language barrier and secondly the market for Japanese dishes in Europe and the USA is somewhat limited. Still I respect the skills of Japanese cooks very much although I am not keen on sushi or blowfish. The way they handle their knives is more than just impressive!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom