"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I have, on ocassion, been known to partake of Jello. These days, I don't make it. Normally, my other half, PeppA, makes it for the kids. I might eat a little bit of it, then it's gone.

My Mom used to make a "Cherry Coke Salad" with canned bing cherries, pecans, Cherry Coke, and cherry-flavored Jello. Good stuff!

Old 04-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #12
Head Chef

After posting that yesterday I went home and made some and it was just as yummy and soothing as it was then, this time though I didn't have to have the sore throat

Old 04-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #13
Senior Cook

When I was little & didn't feel well, my mom would make me jello with cottage cheese in it. I loved it.

When I was in junior high, we would eat jello powder during the summer before swim meets. I suppose we thought the sugar might make us swim faster??!!

As a college student & in my 20's, I was famous for making my jello shots....I think that was the last time I had jello!
Old 04-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I posted these on another site when jello shooters came up. I used to be a bartender and we always had shooters on the weekend.

Now you can add water to the liquor before boiling it otherwise some can be overwhelming (ie: Silk Panties - peach jello - sambucca). I wouldn't want that much sambucca but I'm not a huge fan of it.

I dilute the booze 1/2 and 1/2 with water.

Fuzzy Navel - Orange jello - peach schnapps & vodka
Release Valve - Pineapple jello - vodka, rum & grenadine
Baby Asprin - orange jello - southern comfort
Seabreeze - Cranberry jello - vodka and a bit of grapefruit juice
Brass Monkey - orange jello - vodka & rum
Bullfrog - lime jello - vodka
Champagne Cocktail - raspberry jello - Champagne
Golden Screw - orange jello - vodka & a bit of bitters
Kamikazi - lime jello - vodka & triple sec
Hand Grenadine - cranberry jello & tequila
Strawberry Margarita - Strawberry jello & tequila
Poinsettia - orange jello, champagne & triple sec
Silk Panties - peach jello - sambucca
Sloe Screw - Orange jello - vodka & sloe gin
Woo Woo - cranberry jello - vodka & peach schnapps
Sloe Screw Against the Wall - orange jello - sloe gin & southern comfort and a shot of Galliano if you still have it, lol.
Purple Hooter Shooter - lime jello - vodka, triple sec & chambord
Meltdown - peach jello - stoli
Melon Ball - orange jello - vodka & midori
Old 04-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #15
Head Chef

Jelly (its with a y in England!) is my favourite diet food. I know, its full of rubbish that I am normally holier than thou about eating, but its strong flavour, its protein rich, fat and sugar free (but full of chemicals yuk) and it saves you thinking about real food. I used to make it in plastic glasses for my work lunch boxes, sometimes adding fruit, or layering colours. Real, homemade jelly is a different creature and divinely wonderful, but the sugar, oh boy, the sugar...
Old 04-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Miss J
In Australia we call Jello jelly. What vegetables would you serve with it??? I've seen ambrosia salad (which I cant remember if it has vegetables in it but can remember seeing it served as a savoury) but what vegies would you serve with jello?
Serve grape jello with red beets & turnips. To lime jello the addition of cottage cheese is a favorite. Other things that you can add to jello are cream cheese or ricotta cheese. You can also add chutney to raspberry or cranberry jello. How you prepare the jello will give you more variety for it uses. You can also serve a side of jello with a cheese/bread try. The possibilities of perking up a meal with some flavor and color are endless.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
Serve grape jello with red beets & turnips. To lime jello the addition of cottage cheese is a favorite. Other things that you can add to jello are cream cheese or ricotta cheese. You can also add chutney to raspberry or cranberry jello. How you prepare the jello will give you more variety for it uses. You can also serve a side of jello with a cheese/bread try. The possibilities of perking up a meal with some flavor and color are endless.
My mother can't remember how she made the jello with cottage cheese....do you make the jello like normal & add cottage cheese or use less water with the cottage cheese? I think my son might like this so I want to make it. Thanks!