"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Jobs after graduating high school

My friend wants to hire as a waiter or cook.He doesnt know what he would be yet.He asked me if you need a college degree in tourism in a restaurant or a hotel.I didnt know what to do so i came here to ask you if it is necesarry to have a degree.He is in the senior year.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Without any culinary training, or a "friend in the business" your friend would most likely start as a dishwasher or a busboy, depending on whether he wants to work back of house or front of house, and work his way up, sort of like an apprenticeship program. Or he could spend thousands of dollars on culinary school, then start as an overeducated dishwasher or a busboy and work his way up.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

But as a waiter you dont need to graduate a culinary school,right?
Old 06-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex77 View Post
Right. You don't need any training at all to be a waiter; the restaurant will provide on-the-job training. If it's a really high-end restaurant, prior experience would probably be helpful.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex77 View Post
No you don't, but if you want to progress rapidly, an education in restaurant and hotel management would be helpful.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
Executive Chef

There are many avenues one can take. Sir Loin is right. A culinary school diploma would help him/her skip a few steps, but it all comes down to getting yourself in there now and gaining experience... You aren't going to come out of culinary school and be hired to do much of anything. A real restaurant environment is a whole different kettle of fish, and there are many, many different types of kitchens and food service establishments one can get into...
Just go get a job in a restaurant. Any job you can get. You need to start somewhere..
Old 06-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
...Just go get a job in a restaurant. Any job you can get. You need to start somewhere..
True, Rock. Now-famous Michael Symon started at age 14, smoking ribs at a pizza-and-rib joint in suburban Cleveland. I think he never went to culinary school, just learned along side those in the business. Now he is training others to learn their skills and go on to run their own restaurants. I've heard him say more than once that the harder you work, the luckier you are. He sure is a good example of what hard work can get you.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:52 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I think he never went to culinary school, just learned along side those in the business.
He graduated from the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York in 1990.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
He graduated from the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York in 1990.
imo that place is WAYYYY over priced and highly over rated.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #10
Master Chef

If he wants to get into the business, look for a family run restaurant. My son started as a dishwasher in high school at a local restaurant (not a chain) and by his senior year they were teaching him prep work. He has wonderful knife skills that they taught him. After he graduated, they taught him the cooking part. He was one of the better chefs in that place. It was a Japanese hibachi restaurant so he had to have the people skills and performance skills to pull of a good dinner. He did that for 6 years before moving on to something with more regular hours. He was recently offered a job to cook again at another restaurant but decided he likes his normal work hours now.