Jury Duty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i've served on various types of jury duty, the last of which was a grand jury. the worst part was that i was scheduled to work midnight shifts, so my old supervisor let me out a half hour early (what a guy :mad:) so i could then spend the rest of the day in court.

i didn't know at the time that all i had to do was say that i worked for a television network. defense attorneys do not want you, neither do the prosecutors. apparently, if you don't live in a cave with your fingers in your ears, on mars, you can't be impartial.

grand jury is a little bit different though. unfortunately, that was a big waste of time since every single case was something to do with drugs, and the new jersey nazis - aka the state police. they're not the brightest bulbs in the box. i found fault with about half of their testimonies, a lot of it math related. i don't know why, but i don't find it all that difficult to divide things by 28.35, especially if you have a calculator. and don't get me started with probable cause. that mostly depended on skin color.

ok, before i get this thread locked, and myself locked up, i'll stop.

I've been twice, both went to trial, both got verdicts delivered. I thought it was interesting and worth my time. But yes, it does mess with your routine.

Being self-employed, I've never even bothered to reply to any of the dozens of summons I've received in the mail over the years. I've always ignored them. For some reason I stopped getting them about 3 three years ago. Go figure...

They'll arrest you here for that if they catch you for something else. I am sure that's the case in most places.

I always serve when called. My last case was whether or not to release a VERY creepy child rapist. We decided NO.

Also, most places pay you for serving past a certain number of days. Not much, but it helps.

You can only be called once a year here in California, unless you serve on a jury, then it's three years. In san Diego we are reasonably fortunate because we have a trolley system that goes within a block of the courthouse and you can park for free at the outlying stations. They even pay your trolley fare ($2, big deal). Parking downtown is a nightmare, even if you can afford it.

It's been my opinion for many years that the courts ought to draw on the retired population first, spare the working moms and dads, etc. Nothing will ever come of that idea - it makes too much sense.
The problem with that idea is that you will them have a large amount of jurors who are elderly. That is not a fair representation. You need a mix of old and young, women and men, etc. Sure it is inconvenient to be on a jury if you work, but it would not be fair to have a jury made up primarily of people from one segment of society.

How about mixing them with people recieving unemployment checks?
Then istead of picking people from just one segment of society you are picking from only two. The only way to fairly pick people that represent all areas of society is to have a pool of people from all areas of society.

And then, in jury selection, the lawyers pick only those who represent the segments of society they think will render the verdict they want. As a student of English constitutional history and the development of our law, it is my considered opinion that we should revert to the tried and true method, i.e.: throw them in a well, and if they float to the top they are GUILTY!

Then istead of picking people from just one segment of society you are picking from only two. The only way to fairly pick people that represent all areas of society is to have a pool of people from all areas of society.

yeah, like who's gonna keep all of the creepy people in jail as jenny did, and let all of the druggies run free like i did if we weren't there? :cool:

i just re-read my post, and realized that i sounded like i was trying to blame the police. i should have noted that i was equally disgusted at some of the cases, and horrified if the perp's children were involved. i just thought many of the cases were a waste of time, considering that i think the "war" against drugs is a travesty. but that's a thread for a different day, and a different website.

anyhoo, i was recently sent a juror's questionaire asking me to fill in a ton of info about myself. i threw it out because i think they have all the info they need, and can't imagine why and what type of bearaucratic b.s. would need to have all that info. they have enough on me every time i vote. so, the next time that i get called for jury duty, i'll go... wearing a cbs sports sweatshirt, a cbs news baseball cap, and draw a big CBS on my forehead in case i have to remove my cap. i hope it works. :) (i'm not completely kidding)

btw, does anyone else think that it stinks that they use voter records to qualify you for jury duty? i wonder if it prohibits people from voting?

...btw, does anyone else think that it stinks that they use voter records to qualify you for jury duty? i wonder if it prohibits people from voting?

In MA, they use local census data for jury duty, not voter records.

They'll arrest you here for that if they catch you for something else. I am sure that's the case in most places.

Well, that thought has always been in the back of my mind.
I was stopped and cited for a moving violation a few months back. I'd figure if there was a warrant for my arrest it would have happened when I got stopped.

One day I will become a good citizen and perform my civic duty. :)

i am always excused because i don't drive, so transportation is tough.
even if i got as far as jury selection they will not take me, cause husband was a policeman. i have always wanted to be on a jury. course i watch court tv all day. lol

suck it up people , it is a right we must not lose. it is a right that we may all need one day, a jury of our peers.

easy for me to say, i guess since i never can do it. :cool:

I was called for jury duty twice. I served once. It was a traffic accident and the guy that got hit was suing for more money because he said he wasn't able to work. He was not awarded any more than the insurance company was willing to give.
I just had to call every evening for a week after 5pm to see if they needed me. I think when you serve you only got paid $17.00 for the day. It was a few years ago so I don't know if that's changed.
They pick the jurors from the DMV, at least that's what they told me. If you are called more than once in a given year you can asked to be excused. I was called for two different cities so I couldn't be excused unless I had a good reason. It really didn't bother me.

Barb

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom