"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #61
Master Chef

I got called twice. First time I made made some "smart" remark and did not get chosen, second time I just told them that I have 5 kids and I am the only person doing my job at work. Got exused again. I actually wouldn't mind to seat on a jury. I don't know if anybody would like that I am too opnioneted.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #62
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
You can only get out of being summoned if you actually served within the past two years. Reporting without getting a trial, or getting excused puts you right back in the pool.
Not sure abut NJ, but here in MN it doesn't matter if you serve or not. You can only be called once every 4 years.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #63
Senior Cook

I know this will anger a lot of you, but I believe it is important to report for jury duty, if called, willingly and be ready to serve, if chosen. It is our responsibility.
I have been called three times and selected twice. It is definitely not convenient to have to call in every evening and to lose work, travel to court, etc., but it's all part of our system and I believe it works.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #64
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I believe the same thing Essiebunny, but if it comes down to serving or having food to put on the table, the paycheck has to come first. I have served every time I was called, but when offered the chance to leave if it was a financial hardship, I did leave the one time. Some people don't get paid for days not worked. Some physical disabilities also make it difficult for some to serve. Whenever possible though, yes I believe we should serve when called.

Barbara
Old 10-10-2008, 02:10 AM   #65
Sous Chef

A number of years ago a friend was called for federal jury duty. He was selected. The trial lasted over half a year. He owned his own business and asked to be excused as he was the only support for his wife and kids. Motion denied. By the end of the trial, he had lost his business, his home and his wife left and sued for non-support. She won.

I, too believe in serving, as it is my duty, but it's a two way street. The system needs to show compassion for the people that serve. I was told this wouldn't have happened on a state or county jury, but was not uncommon on a federal one.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I believe the same thing Essiebunny, but if it comes down to serving or having food to put on the table, the paycheck has to come first. I have served every time I was called, but when offered the chance to leave if it was a financial hardship, I did leave the one time. Some people don't get paid for days not worked. Some physical disabilities also make it difficult for some to serve. Whenever possible though, yes I believe we should serve when called.

Barbara
My company will pay for 3 days, plus the difference of 2 more, for a total of 5. This trial I was almost on would have been 15, plus the day I spent in the jury room. I agree about civic duty, completely. However, it's no longer about an inconvenience, now it's about the huge amount of money I'd lose if I was on that jury. Sorry, but no civic duty can cover that amount of money. It's not fair to expect people to give up income to be on a jury.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:53 AM   #67
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
A number of years ago a friend was called for federal jury duty. He was selected. The trial lasted over half a year. He owned his own business and asked to be excused as he was the only support for his wife and kids. Motion denied. By the end of the trial, he had lost his business, his home and his wife left and sued for non-support. She won.

I, too believe in serving, as it is my duty, but it's a two way street. The system needs to show compassion for the people that serve. I was told this wouldn't have happened on a state or county jury, but was not uncommon on a federal one.
Unfortunately, your friend should have said something 'untoward' regarding biases after the request was denied.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #68
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
My company will pay for 3 days, plus the difference of 2 more, for a total of 5. This trial I was almost on would have been 15, plus the day I spent in the jury room. I agree about civic duty, completely. However, it's no longer about an inconvenience, now it's about the huge amount of money I'd lose if I was on that jury. Sorry, but no civic duty can cover that amount of money. It's not fair to expect people to give up income to be on a jury.
??? I'm a little confused. I said that I agreed that we should do jury duty when we can, but that we cannot put it ahead of putting food on the table. I was saying the same thing you just said.

Barbara
Old 10-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #69
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
??? I'm a little confused. I said that I agreed that we should do jury duty when we can, but that we cannot put it ahead of putting food on the table. I was saying the same thing you just said.

Barbara
Yeah, I agreed with you.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #70
Traveling Welcome Wagon

LOL Sorry--I wasn't sure!

Barbara