Just a thought about breathing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I noticed an argument (er, discussion) in another thread that discussed breathing various gasses. I hereby state that in all of my education, never was I taught that breathing any other gas except oxygen could support human life. And even that statement has qualifiers. Every scuba diver understands that pure oxygen becomes poisonous to the body at a depth fo 33 feet below sea level (in the ocean). Air becomes poisonous at soewhere around 120 feet, or is that 90 feet. I believe its 90 feet. Below 90, the nitrogen must be replace with helium to prevent nitrogen narcosis (if I recall correctly. It's been a very long time since my last diving class and I'm no certified, and don't dive.). My point is that oxygen is the only gass that will support our metabolism and is required for our continued life. Breathing any other gas, without breathing oxygen will kill us. Cyanide and carbon monoxide both kill because they attach themselves more readily to our red blood cells, preventing those cells from absorbing oxygen from our longs to our bodies, and we suffocate, even if oxygen is present. Even the cimilar molecule, O3 - ozone, in not usable to us. So, it becomes plain that methane, co2, co, amonia, nitrogen, argon, you name it, if breathed solely, will kill us. End of story. Methane is dagerous as are similar gasses because they are heavier than oxygen. When large quantities of methane are present, the more bouyant oxygen is displaced and "floats" on top of the methane. We have nothing but methane to breathe and die. I believe the same is true of CO2, but am not completely sure. I know it's true of halon.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom