Just bought a new food truck...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a poutine truck here in East Tennessee that was very popular for a couple of years, but they since moved on to other things.

Hi Andy,

We've talked about a chowder (wife and I) but I have a feeling that it might not sell so well in the summer. Also, I'm trying to not be too brave and make the menu even bigger... But, knowing me, I'll give it shot anyway! Potato, celery, onions, cream, haddock, shrimp, scallops... I think I'll omit the lobster.

Did I miss anything????????????????

RD

I'd keep it simple and make a fish chowder with haddock. The shrimp and scallops would get lost with everything else.

The Dude is in Canada, and they're on the metric system. It will be 482 degrees.

When Miles Davis, the famous jazz musician, played in Canada he was billed as Kilometers Davis.

Yes, but the Dude doesn't truly get the metric system because few up here in Canada actually use it for anything other than occasionally the weather and speed limit...

I still bake at "350 Fahrenheit "... we still buy butter, grapes and beef by the pound. And when we buy lumber it's still a 2x6x8, not a whatever x whatever x whatever. :LOL:

RD

Food truck

Would like to follow this post. DH , & a person who wants to help fund it, want to look at starting up a similar type food truck. Would love to hear how it's going for you!

I am an awesome techie dude now... I have the Google, which is handy. The guys who manage my website are going to set up some kind of Facepage and something on the Tweeter for me. Might use the same as my current ones...

I`m going to make and sell lemonade and iced tea... `Sweet tea` for all of you from below the 49th...

I thought about some type desserts, but I`m not sure if they`d sell. I`ll give it a whirl...

RD

Maybe the local bakery that is providing your bread/tortillas can provide you some nice chocolate chip cookies to sell. Oatmeal raisin, etc..

I always get so filled up on the main food I have no room for dessert. :)

Last edited:
Finally got the menu... um... finalized. Keeping it simple to start. Those of you with restaurant kitchen experience will appreciate what can go wrong when a menu is too big and space is at a premium.

Technically, it's called $%#!&^$%! ...

Every single thing is home made... no jars, no packages. No microwave either!!!

Fish & chips (battered, deep fried)

Pan-fried haddock and fries (panko, garlic powder and lemon herb mix)

The Rugged Dude Burger... 1/2 pound with double bacon, cheddar cheese, leaf lettuce, tomato, mayo, mustard and sliced dill pickle)

The Wilma Burger (1/2 pound, apricot chutney, double bacon and leaf lettuce)

The Kenny Burger (1/2 pound, double cheddar, ketchup, nothing else. Named after the mechanic dude who repairs my vehicles at the local garage!)

Haddock Burger (5 ounce piece of haddock, pan-fried with leaf lettuce, tartar sauce and tomato)

Fish Tacos (Tortilla wrap with leaf lettuce, guacamole, mango salsa and pan-fried haddock)

Coconut shrimp (large 16 - 20s, split and butterflied, then deep fried in panko & shredded coconut)

Bacon Wrapped Scallops (on a skewer, fried on flat-top, drizzled with Nova Scotia maple syrup)

Veggie wrap (Same tortilla wrap, swap out the fish for rice and beans, then add guacamole, mango salsa, leaf lettuce and cheddar cheese)

Opening in two weeks... just got the trailer here yesterday. Now it needs paint and a few minor changes. I want to make the serving window bigger. Permits and power hook up should be complete this week.

Wish me luck... I might need it!!!!!!!

And, send me some extra deodorant... it's going to be HOT in there!!!!!

RD

Last edited:
Maybe the local bakery that is providing your bread/tortillas can provide you some nice chocolate chip cookies to sell. Oatmeal raisin, etc..

I always get so filled up on the main food I have no room for dessert. :)

This is something I've been considering... the only thing is that I want everything we sell to be home-made by us, in our trailer kitchen. There are two Garland ovens in this thing, so if we do sell cookies, we'd make them ourselves in the morning before opening.

I think I need a unique cookie with a groovy name... then we'd market the crap out of it!

RD

Would like to follow this post. DH , & a person who wants to help fund it, want to look at starting up a similar type food truck. Would love to hear how it's going for you!

We're going to set up a facepage and tweeter thing... but, you can always reach me at my site - Google me - Rugged Dude.

I'd be more than happy to give the scoop on how to make it happen. There will be differences with permits and things in your area, but the basis will be the same.

Get a truck - cook food and sell it!

RD

I'm so excited for you RD!!
Your menu looks well thought out and there's something there for everyone, even those who are on a low carbs diet. I'll have the Bacon Wrapped Scallops (on a skewer, fried on flat-top, drizzled with Nova Scotia maple syrup) hold the syrup please. I can ship you some lemons from the citrus capital of the world. ;) http://heritagevalley.net/santa-paula

Last edited:
This is something I've been considering... the only thing is that I want everything we sell to be home-made by us, in our trailer kitchen. There are two Garland ovens in this thing, so if we do sell cookies, we'd make them ourselves in the morning before opening.

I think I need a unique cookie with a groovy name... then we'd market the crap out of it!

RD

Wow, you are even making your own bread/buns? That is awesome. Lot of work though.

Are you going to have someone to run the counter and take orders? Yeah it will be hot in there unless you mount some fans perhaps.

The menu looks great. Definitely keep it simple if you're not going to have another chef onboard.

Last edited:
The menu sounds wonderful, RD!! :yum: I'd have to go there every day for a week and try everything. ;):LOL:

As far as the cookies - cookie dough freezes well, if you've got the room. You could go with a spin on the food truck name and call them "Oar House Cookies" or something like that, and maybe give away a free cookie with every order during your first week in business...?

I'm really looking forward to updates. Best of luck to you - from the looks of the menu, it sounds like it'll do great!

I'd like to stand in line with Kay and Cheryl. Your menu sounds great, RD! Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom