"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Master Chef

Just call me Gimpy!

About 4 weeks back, I was working in my veggie garden, planting things. I didn't know it at the time, but at some point that day, I rose from a squat into a standing position and tore the meniscus in my right knee. It hurt considerably the next day, but you know, I'm superman, indestructible. I assumed it was a strained muscle. After a few days of limping, the pain bothered me only when I first stood from a sitting position. After a few steps, it went away. I went on like this for nearly a month.

Well, last Saturday night, I went out back to shut off the outside faucet that was on to water the garden. On the last step to the ground, something gave behind the right knee. I called my wife on her cell phone and asked her to find me some crutches because I could no longer bear any weight on that leg. We went into the emergency room and an MRI that had been taken 3 days previous confirmed that I had a torn meniscus. I've been on my back for three days, unable to do much at all. I've been able to get around a bit easier today, as I'm learning to use the crutches more effectively. The slightest misstep causes severe pain and so I have to move gingerly indeed. The doctor called and will discuss surgery to correct the problem. We are supposed to talk tomorrow.

I've spoken to about 5 people who have had the same injury and all state that the surgery is highly successful and each person has recovered full and painless use of the joint. I'm confident that I will experience the same results. After all, on August 9th, I've a chili cookoff to prepare for. Gotta make 6 gallons of chili, 3 of Midwestern, medium red, and 3 of hot Texas Red.

For those who do such things, a prayer or two would be appreciated.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

GW, sorry to hear of your injury.

SO had the same problem and surgery. She's as good as ever after the operation. Her's was done arthroscopically and recovery time was short.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
GW, sorry to hear of your injury.

SO had the same problem and surgery. She's as good as ever after the operation. Her's was done arthroscopically and recovery time was short.
Andy. that's what I like to hear. Thanks.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Prayers and good thoughts coming your way my friend.
kadesma
Old 07-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

hey buddy, 2 guys i work with have had the same problem, and the same operation within the past year. both were back at work fully recovered within a few days. it supposedly is far more painful and therefore scarier than what you would assume.

you might have to spend a little less time on your knees begging for my recipes for a while, though.

hope you get back on your feet asap.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Everymom

GW, OUCH! I tore my meniscus a couple of years ago and it was not fun at all. My tear was nowhere near as bad as yours though. Ken has had several knee surgeries, including a meniscus repair. The meniscus one required less surgical time but he was back at it within a week or so. He took some percocet for the pain and let me tell you...I wish I'd thought to video that! He's 100% and pain free in that knee. Its quick and so is the recovery.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Head Chef

No scary stories here, just well wishing and commiseration! Hope it all goes well.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:24 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

hope you are able to heal without surgery. be better!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 AM   #9
Flour Child

You're in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

GW, so sorry to hear this! I know all about knee problems and they are not fun. I am sending big prayers your way. Keep us posted on what's happening.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote