"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #31
Head Chef

Love the coin, Chico!

What you going to do with it? Frame and hang it?

Lee

Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Buller View Post
GB, if you grew up in that environment, you learn the ropes of that group.

For example, there is a world of difference between a friend and a bro. You might not like the bro or what he does. But he is part of what you consider an extended family. You have taken on that responsibility.

You must have a no-brother-good-inlaw that drives you nuts and drinks up all of your good single malt. But your wife loves him, deep inside he's an alright guy, so you cut him slack as you would for no one else.

Then again, you have a friend who is a confidant, the kind of guy who is always welcome for the big-screen and a Packer game.

This guy drives me nuts. I don't know how to resolve it. Frankly, deep inside, I'm hot sure I can or want to.
Again you have typed a lot of words, but have not said why you can not just be honest.

What is so hard about saying you would love to have him over tonight, but you need to call of a night by 8pm?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
but have not said why you can not just be honest.
I guess there are social mores in every aspect of culture, even mine. If you went to a biker funeral, the last toast would spook your horse.

I guarantee we will speak. My wife wanted to share some time with the POSILQ, she has not felt well, so I was more willing to cave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
What you going to do with it? Frame and hang it?
It looks like all of the cool kids hang these things around their necks. It does match my chrome...
Old 09-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #34
Executive Chef

For some reason, I feel dumberer now.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Buller View Post
I guess there are social mores in every aspect of culture, even mine.
So in the biker culture honesty is forbidden?
Old 09-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
No, quite the opposite.

However, things that you might find "rude public behavior" are simply mildly amusing for us.

One morning, I wanted to ride. I pulled a buddy out of bed before the birds got up. We blew the day off. Now his wife had a firm opinion on this...

However, going out of your way is the correct way. It's fixing a tire at 3:00AM in the rain. It's getting your bell rung for a buddy whose drunken behavior irritated a townie.

These things are good because they are the fabric of something much bigger than any one of us.

There will come a time, over a cystal clear beaker of Don Julio when I'll mention that my buddy should "call first" a bit more often. He'll shrug, probably admit it's a problem he has, and then we'll throw the cork away.

In the final analysis, it's not even his problem, it's the way he is. The issue here is defining just exactly what kind of a friend and bro I want to be. And part of me believes I failed somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
For some reason, I feel dumberer now.
Haven't you seen those huge necklaces that kids wear? Just slightly smaller than a license plate with some meaningless symbol on them?
Old 09-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #37
Chief Eating Officer

So again you have not say why you can not just be honest. You keep on talking around it, but never answering it. I can make it easy for you. Just fill in the blank.

I can not just tell my buddy that he needs to leave tonight by 8pm because...
Old 09-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
It doesn't matter who it is, that is 'needing attention', it's just that people sometimes do need to be with other people. To me it seems that Chico was just was being kind, and kindness is better than brutal honesty, or being selfish. That's just my opinion.

He could also use the excuse, 'my wife has a tri-weekly date with me tonight at 8, and we have to 'get it done' before 9 so she can sleep and then work'. lol
Old 09-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
It doesn't matter who it is, that is 'needing attention', it's just that people sometimes do need to be with other people. To me it seems that Chico was just was being kind, and kindness is better than brutal honesty, or being selfish. That's just my opinion.
Chico started this thread by saying how his wife is sick and she pays for it when people over stay their welcome, he is unhappy with the situation, and referred to it as an impossible situation.

I do not see how it is selfish to be honest with your guest and tell them you would love to have them over, but the night needs to end by a certain time.

He also said the guy drives him nuts and he doesn't know how to resolve it. I have mentioned being honest as a sure fire way of resolving it, but he never says why he is unable to do this. He just keeps talking about biker culture as if bikers can't be honest.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #40
Senior Cook

GB, cultures are always important. For example, the 'okay symbol,' (thumb to index, the other fingers straight up), is an obscene gesture in some parts of the world.

The simple world "poser" can get you hospitalized in a biker bar.

My point is that I have made a covenant to act in a certain fashion among my peers. Simple issue.

I'm sure you don't wear cut-off jeans and eat with your elbows on the table at Spago.

You do bring up a certain slant. If things were going perfectly, I just might shrug. But yes, my wife is sick. I'm concerned. It could simply be displaced anger or resentment on an issue I cannot solve.