Just my luck...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Cuillo

Sous Chef
Go figure three days before Thanksgiving my oven heating element breaks. The bottom element just snapped into two pieces and left a white residue at the broken spot. Since it's an old oven (Hotpoint?? looks like it's from the 60's with woodgrain trim on the top!) no one can get an element for me before the holiday so I had to go buy a turkey roaster, which was rather inexpensive so I am grateful for that. ($24 for GE and can hold up to an 18lb turkey and cook rolls and fruit pies) It looks very similar to a crock pot with the temperature control ranging from 200-450 degrees so I assume that it will work like a real oven just having WAY less room!
I have several concerns with this roaster being my main source of cooking this Thanksgiving...
Will my pumpkin pie cook in this thing?
Can I cook my green bean casserole in a crockpot and just stick it under the broiler to brown the top and what is your opinion on how long to cook that?
It's just DH and I so I am not too concerned but I still would like to have a nice dinner for the two of us. Please let me know of anything else you can think of that I should think about!

Mrs. C, I have no words of wisdom for you...but empathy. A few years ago on Thanksgiving morning my parents' water lines froze. (They lived in a mountainside cabin at 9,000+ feet.) We had to load everything up and caravan the fixin's down to my house in town. That was an interesting holiday. Now, again, my parents (who have moved into town) are hosting the Thanksgiving meal and their furnace went out yesterday. Repair parts have to be UPS'd in from Denver...

Best of luck to you in your adventure! I bet your meal will be great! :)

The first year in our house we hosted Thanksgiving, and our fridge broke!!

Better a broken oven or fridge than major septic problems, which happened to me when I hosted Thanksgiving. Guests had to cross a big trench on a plank to get to the house.

I guess I should be thankful for my problem!
What are your opinions on cooking the green bean casserole in the crock pot? How long do you think it should take?

I do my green bean casserole in the microwave. Works like a charm. About 10-15 minutes depending on the power of your microwave.

I unfortunately do not have a microwave. I guess I will just start it in the morning and if it is finished early, I can just keep it on warm. Thanks everyone!!

Does your roaster have the different pans in it? You could prep your green bean casserole in one and just leave it til about an hour before you were ready to serve. OR...cook it early and when you take your turkey out for carving put it back in the roaster to reheat. Just make sure its about room temp when you put it in to avoid any potential cold spots.

This is what it is...so I was thinking once I put the turkey in it, that's it. Nothing else can go in there.

2009916145759331.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom