"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #11
Executive Chef

The way I see it, you'll never have enough money or enough room for kids...so why wait?
Sure, there's something to be said for 'planning'....but the more you put deadlines, limits and boundaries to the things you want to accomplish, the more you'll discover that kind of control will make you nuts. Let things happen. Besides, the younger you are when you have your kids, the younger you'll be when they finally move out!

For the record, I was 23 and 26 when I had my kids...They are 22 and 19 now. One has already gotten a place of their own, and the other is very close. I'm only 45, living comfortably, have a great job and a wonderful guy, and get to relate to my kids as adults now.

I, and my kids' dad wouldn't change a thing.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner_chef View Post
...I just thought it was odd that my personal view on it has changed so suddenly!...
It's not odd in the least. That is just the way the majority of women are "hard wired" (hormones, etc.) to ensure that the human race doesn't die off. Another thought (don't mean to scare you here)--is there a possibility you might (no matter what you might have done to prevent it) actually already be pregnant? At first, when I was pregnant with my daughter, they told me I wasn't. Hormones kicked in big time--I was devastated by that news (moreso because of the pregnancy hormones, not just my desire to have a baby). Well, it turned out I was, after all. Probably not the case for you, but it did cross my mind.

Barbara

Old 02-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Thank you Uncle Bob..

You're alls posts have made me a bit 'teary eyed'..... GOSH what is wrong with me!?

That's interesting Barbara.. I know i'm not pregnant (got somethin goin on at the moment thats confirming that...) But I have been off my 'birth control' (pill) for almost 2 months now. We're just using a different method. I didn't like the side effects that the pill had on me. Could me coming off the pill have anything to do with this?

Vera, if you don't mind me asking, How long were you married when you had your first?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Besides, the younger you are when you have your kids, the younger you'll be when they finally move out!

and the younger grandma you'll be I was a grandma at 42 but I do enjoy being grandma of 4 .
Old 02-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
This grandma says, take your time, enjoy each other. You are still very young and learning about life , love and committed relationship. Enjoy your home, hubby and your new baby will be in the near future waiting to be born and loved. Wishing for all the best for you !
Barb L.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Beginner, I would say that yes coming off birth control could be the cause. They do some weird things to your body sometimes. I was on them for almost 5 years before I couldn't stand the effects they were having on me ( dr said they wouldn't cause them)
Went to different dr and she said definately the cause. When I went off them my cycles were messed up for awhile, dr said it was because the pill put the hormones in me now my body had to do it. Almost like my body was confused
Old 02-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I agree with mikki. Your hormones are probably a little confused, so to speak, since you stopped the birth control pills. And, as I said earlier, it is pretty normal for women your age.

Barbara
Old 02-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Beginner, coming off of the pill could be affecting your feelings somewhat but your urges for a child are instinctive and natural. You have a mate you love and a nest that you are busy feathering. It's completely normal and like Uncle Bob says, it's beautiful! That said, just make sure your husband is agreeable and the decision is mutual when you decide to go for it. After all, you want your children to have both of their parents to be totally thrilled with them. So I counsel you to talk openly and regularly with your husband with your husband about how you are feeling and keep communicating about this. In the mean time, maybe it would be fun for both of you to start fixing up a nursery and that sort of thing.

I got married at 15 and my first child was born 15 months later. My husband and I both wanted a houseful of children right away (6 was the number we thought would be perfect). Things didn't go exactly as planned - we have 7 children born over a 29 year period. So I had babies in my teens, twenties, thirties and forties. I can tell you that like VeraBlue, I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:54 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Wow! 7 kids? I think we'll probably just have 2 or 3.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:05 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
Kind of same situation here, just a bit backward :)

I am 22 and my wife is 27, we've been married for almost 2 years, have a 1 year old girl and we're expecting our 2nd in mid June.

Let me tell you, being new to marriage AND having kids is tough! You're wise to wait a few years before having kids instead of getting started right away.

Your husband will always have that scared look, though. And who could blame him? It's a HUGE transition!!! 'Now is never a good time' is what they say. The best part is, though, that by some miracle of nature you have 9 months to prepare for it. And let me tell you, those 9 months are a godsend! :)