Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am reading "Until Tuesday.". It is about a wounded warrior and a service dog (a golden retriever). It was on the clearance rack for 5.95. The author is a former Army Caption, Luis Carlos Montalvan.

I am reading a really bizarre book, "The Graveyard Book". Not my cup of tea at all but my book club picked it for this month. It's the story of a baby raised in a graveyard by a variety of spooks. I feel like I have to finish it but to tell you the truth I would just as soon trash it. I joined the book club to meet some new people in the town we moved into and to expand my horizons as I had gotten into a rut with my reading. So far I have been unimpressed with most of the choices. But it has certainly gotten me out of that rut. I can't wait to get back into it again!

I am reading a really bizarre book, "The Graveyard Book". Not my cup of tea at all but my book club picked it for this month. It's the story of a baby raised in a graveyard by a variety of spooks. I feel like I have to finish it but to tell you the truth I would just as soon trash it. I joined the book club to meet some new people in the town we moved into and to expand my horizons as I had gotten into a rut with my reading. So far I have been unimpressed with most of the choices. But it has certainly gotten me out of that rut. I can't wait to get back into it again!

One of the reasons I don't care for book clubs. My tastes in fiction bear almost no resemblance to the tastes of the group.

I'm finishing up "The Land of the Painted Caves" by Jean M. Auel, the most recent and probably final in her Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children) series. It's a bit slower than the previous novels in the series, not quite enough drama for me, too much descriptive stuff. However for years I've hoped a sequel would come out and I'm glad she has finished up the story. (I assume it's finished, but that is my personal opinion and I have no fact to base that upon.)

Anyone read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

My current reads are some YA literature that I found as freebies on Kindle. I think I'm reading Behind Blue Eyes at the moment.

The Audible recording of this book was a lot of fun to listen to... It's narrated by the author (Neil Gaiman) and is accompanied by a music arrangement of "Danse Macabre." Certain things you just have to be in the MOOD for to enjoy!
I agree that book clubs force you out of a "reading rut" - also agree that it's not always fun to do that. :)
I've had good luck with book clubs, though - and have read things that I really liked - things I probably would not have ever picked up except for BC.

I found a copy of More Food That Really Schmecks by Edna Staebler!

Edna was a Canadian that wrote about Mennonite country cooking. She lived to be 100 years old so whatever she was cooking did not seem to hurt her. I think they even named a school after her in Waterloo, Ontario.

not yet, but I picked up Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters at the used bookstore and need to get on it. A friend who is more of a Bronte fan read the P&P&Z and loved it.

I haven't seen that one! I will have to go find it for Kate. She loved P&P&Z. She was reading it on the beach in Mexico while I ready Dirty Jobs. The covers on both books were a little gross so we got a few weird looks as folks went by. We were usually laughing our asses off too!

I'm just about to start the newest Kathy Reichs, Flash and Bones.

Last edited:
I'm finishing up "The Land of the Painted Caves" by Jean M. Auel, the most recent and probably final in her Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children) series. It's a bit slower than the previous novels in the series, not quite enough drama for me, too much descriptive stuff. However for years I've hoped a sequel would come out and I'm glad she has finished up the story.
Just to note, I finished "The Land of the Painted Caves" and happy to say the drama picked up in the last couple hundred pages, and I was satisfied with the novel's end and the end of the series.

Anybody interested should start with "Clan of the Cave Bears" and if they enjoy it they can continue to complete the 6 novel series. All of them are several hundred pages so it's quite an epic saga. (summary on Amazon)

Next up: Lee Child's latest novel in the Jack Reacher series: "The Affair"

I'm reading 7th Heaven by James Patterson. It's the seventh in his Women's Murder Club Series. His books are not my favorites, but I do like this series.

Just bought the text book; "Physics" by Jay Orear of Cornell University.

I've wanted to study Physics since I was much younger. The subject fascinates me and I've always wanted to know much more than casual reading will provide me.

This book was suggested by many past Physics students as the best of the best of first year Physics studies.

I think I'm gonna hurt my head!:wacko::blink::bangin::LOL:

I just got around to starting "11/22/63" by Stephen King. The storyline seems very interesting, but I'll admit I balked at starting it because of the sheer size.

I don't read much fiction. The last King book I read was "The Stand" and that was back in the 80s.

Nearly done Flash and Bones (Kathy Reichs). Good read, I enjoy following the investigation and figuring things out as they do.

I just got around to starting "11/22/63" by Stephen King. The storyline seems very interesting, but I'll admit I balked at starting it because of the sheer size.

I don't read much fiction. The last King book I read was "The Stand" and that was back in the 80s.

I haven't read Kings version of A Time to Remember, Stanley Shapiro's book about a man who travels back in time to prevent JFKs assassination.

Shapiro's book put me to sleep. I would hope that King did a better job of it.

There is another book along the same lines; "Time Out of Mind" by Peter Delacorte, which tells a time travel theory about how much better the world would have been if they went back in time and killed Reagan.

I haven't read that one yet either, but it's on my reading list.

Back
Top Bottom