Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a coincidence. I picked up "American Gods" last week and am now about 3 chapters in.

When you get done with that, pick up a copy of "Good Omens" by Gaiman and Terry Pratchett...never laughed so hard in my life!!! It was an accidentla purchase and started my love affair with BOTH authors.

so who is it that's reading all those books in this country? how many claires do we have out there? lots and lots, i hope. but most of the people who have populated my world have not been serious readers--unless they were keeping it a secret for some reason...could it be there's a whole subculture of closet readers out there that none of us knows about? who IS buying all those kindles anyway, i wonder.... :)

Ha! You aren't going to find too many "Claires" out there -- believe it or not, when I was in 4th grade the school system I was in (Reno, NV) took a dozen or so of us kids who got high scores on some test and taught us speed reading. I don't use the skill much, not sure if I even can do it effectively. But I do read pretty fast.

My husband never read just to read before he retired. Now he still doesn't read fiction; he was a history major, and in retirement he chooses an epoch for study. With the advent of the internet (in our house it was ten years ago), he'll tell me what his new era of study is, and I go on Amazon and get a bunch of titles for him. Then he goes on Netflix and finds out if there's a BBC series on that era (you'd be surprised how often there is!) so that whatever era he's reading about, we're watching as well.

Over the years, for a man who doesn't really enjoy reading, when we visit people for the first time, he zeroes in on whether or not there are any books lying around. He's suspect of anyone who doesn't have a full bookshelf within sight.

Multi lingual Newspapers & Magazines

Firstly, I am an avid reader, however, of epicurean, travel, enological and entertainment ( the arts ) magazines and newspaper sections focusing on these subjects in several Latin Root Languages.

In English: I read the London Times every Sunday and when possible, the NY or LA Times if I can purchase it; In Spanish, I read Comer y Beber Magazine and El Mundo and / or EL Pais Newspaper; In Italian, Portuguese and French, I read a variety of magazines which focus on my favorite topics as well; L´Art d´Vivre, House & Garden French Edition and Club Gourmet Magazine.

Last year, I had re-read all of Ernest Hemmingway´s works which focused on Spain, Cuba and the Spanish Civil War 1936 - 1939.

Truly enjoyed his works. I hadn´t read his works since Secondary ( high school ).

Ha! You aren't going to find too many "Claires" out there -- believe it or not, when I was in 4th grade the school system I was in (Reno, NV) took a dozen or so of us kids who got high scores on some test and taught us speed reading. I don't use the skill much, not sure if I even can do it effectively. But I do read pretty fast.

My husband never read just to read before he retired. Now he still doesn't read fiction; he was a history major, and in retirement he chooses an epoch for study. With the advent of the internet (in our house it was ten years ago), he'll tell me what his new era of study is, and I go on Amazon and get a bunch of titles for him. Then he goes on Netflix and finds out if there's a BBC series on that era (you'd be surprised how often there is!) so that whatever era he's reading about, we're watching as well.

Over the years, for a man who doesn't really enjoy reading, when we visit people for the first time, he zeroes in on whether or not there are any books lying around. He's suspect of anyone who doesn't have a full bookshelf within sight.

I was singled out for speed reading, too...:rolleyes:

I've always preferred to save money over instant gratification.

I want both. :) I debated for about a month whether to use the $200 I was ready to spend to upgrade my phone or get a Kindle Fire. I am so glad I opted for the latter. Oh my word - that instant click thing is dangerous.

When you get done with that, pick up a copy of "Good Omens" by Gaiman and Terry Pratchett...never laughed so hard in my life!!! It was an accidentla purchase and started my love affair with BOTH authors.
I'm surprised so far at how funny a book "American Gods" is. I was expecting a serious book, but it doesn't take itself very seriously at all. I like it.

From what I understand, HBO is filming it as a series, due to be released next year.

I'm surprised so far at how funny a book "American Gods" is. I was expecting a serious book, but it doesn't take itself very seriously at all. I like it.

From what I understand, HBO is filming it as a series, due to be released next year.

The first Terry Pratchett I read after "Good Omens" was "Small Gods." Another very thought provoking and funny book.

Been back on a David Sedaris kick, and re-reading naked. Also, Mike Bribiglia, funny stuff! Sleepwalk With Me(now a movie that did well at Sundance)was a great read.

I'm up to page 680 of The Shelters of Stone by Jean Auel (out of 883 pages).

The Land of the Painted Caves
arrived in the mail yesterday, so I'll be in reader's heaven for a good while.

I want both. :) I debated for about a month whether to use the $200 I was ready to spend to upgrade my phone or get a Kindle Fire. I am so glad I opted for the latter. Oh my word - that instant click thing is dangerous.
I am writing in reference to your antique Logo. Surprisingly, your chosen Logo is an original painting from Galicia, Spain, ( northwestern Spain ) and represents: The Diverse Agricultural Mosiac of the Iberian Peninisula.

It is also the cover symbology of an author who wrote a book on the diverse " fruits and vegetables " in Spain, giving each a personality and human characteristics ... It is a most heart warming literature account ... I am not aware that it has been translated. However, I shall check if you are interested and provide the author´s name and title of the book.

Interesting.

Margi Cintrano

I was reading before I went into the first grade. So I had a leg up on the other kids. Book One of the Dick and Jane series was old stuff for me. By the time I reached the fourth grade I was an accomplished reader. The teacher would have each of us read a paragraph until every one had a turn. If the paragraph was short, they got two. One day when it was my turn my paragraph was a long one. I finished my paragraph and the teacher didn't stop me. She gave me a nod to continue. I ended up reading the whole chapter to the class. She set up a program whereby come the last hour on Friday, she would choose the book, and I would read to the class until the end of the hour. She would be sitting at her desk doing paper work. The very first book she chose was My Friend Flicker by Mary O'Hara. The next one was Thunderhead, the sequel. This practice sealed my love of reading.

I was singled out for speed reading, too...:rolleyes:

That's interesting. In my case it was in the mid-sixties in Nevada. I'm just wondering because I've never heard of anyone else being taught speed-reading in elementary school. It really was neat. There was a projector and one line at a time would be put up. Then certain words would be highlighted. Eventually there'd be a paragraph with certain words highlighted so you learned to pick out the entire concept of the paragraph in seconds. Like I said, I don't use the skill often, so am rusty, but I can still, if I want something from a book and don't want to read it completely, scan it paragraph at a time and get what I want from it.

That's interesting. In my case it was in the mid-sixties in Nevada. I'm just wondering because I've never heard of anyone else being taught speed-reading in elementary school. It really was neat. There was a projector and one line at a time would be put up. Then certain words would be highlighted. Eventually there'd be a paragraph with certain words highlighted so you learned to pick out the entire concept of the paragraph in seconds. Like I said, I don't use the skill often, so am rusty, but I can still, if I want something from a book and don't want to read it completely, scan it paragraph at a time and get what I want from it.

It was in '66 for me, I remember that exercise well. I can get through most books, non-fiction, by reading only the first and last sentences of a paragraph. I also read by the "shape" of the word, sometimes making it easy for me to miss a misspelling.

In fifth grade, one of our neighbors in Student Housing, was learning how to "test" kids for her education degree. She picked me to test for reading comprehension. She did the age appropriate test first and I blew it out of the water. By the time she reached the College-Age comprehension tests, her instructor was involved and they were still trying to figure out where my comprehension level fell off...they never did find a test for me to establish a reading level. :rolleyes: I was always a difficult child.

Pretty much the same story here. Unfortunately, with all the moving and shaking, I lost out on math. As a ten year old, I could read way, way out of my league. On the other hand, I was floundering in the dust in math. Still am not great. Other people have pre-nups about who gets what money wise. We have a pre-nup (verbal) that I'll do a lot of crap, but will not balance the check-book!

Pretty much the same story here. Unfortunately, with all the moving and shaking, I lost out on math. As a ten year old, I could read way, way out of my league. On the other hand, I was floundering in the dust in math. Still am not great. Other people have pre-nups about who gets what money wise. We have a pre-nup (verbal) that I'll do a lot of crap, but will not balance the check-book!

Yeah, math stinks!

But, I think more has stuck than I realize...even if I can't multiply in my head, I CAN do it on paper, better than most of the folks I work with, who only use calculators. Had someone the other day surprised that I had the answer before she did, me with pencil and paper, she had a calculator.

I am writing in reference to your antique Logo. Surprisingly, your chosen Logo is an original painting from Galicia, Spain, ( northwestern Spain ) and represents: The Diverse Agricultural Mosiac of the Iberian Peninisula.

It is also the cover symbology of an author who wrote a book on the diverse " fruits and vegetables " in Spain, giving each a personality and human characteristics ... It is a most heart warming literature account ... I am not aware that it has been translated. However, I shall check if you are interested and provide the author´s name and title of the book.

Interesting.

Margi Cintrano

Yes! Thanks, Margi -- I would be very interested to know of any literary interpretations of the art... which is the work of an Italian artist, actually... Gieuseppe Arcimboldo...16th century... grotesque, fascinating ...

I've acquired copies of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" and "Anasazi Boys" from my local library. Is either of these a sequel to the other? Is there any particular order I should read them in?

Back
Top Bottom