Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've acquired copies of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" and "Anasazi Boys" from my local library. Is either of these a sequel to the other? Is there any particular order I should read them in?

Check the original publications dates...it's been a while since I read them and can't remember if they are connected. I'm thinking AG is before AB.

I've acquired copies of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" and "Anasazi Boys" from my local library. Is either of these a sequel to the other? Is there any particular order I should read them in?

"American Gods" came first; "Anansi Boys" is not a sequel... but involves some characters from "American Gods"...

Thanks PF. I checked the pub dates and apparently AG is before AB, still not sure if they are a series or independent novels. I guess I'll know more later after I read a bit. Was just hoping for a quick answer...

Anyway looks like one of them is next up in the reading hopper. :)

ETA: Oh thanks Sharon (near simultaneous post). I guess I'll crack American Gods then. Thanks again!

Last edited:
I have two on the go right now. One is a reread, Voyager by Diana Gabaldon. The other is for BAR, I'm reading Hound of the Baskervilles. Technically, its a reread too, but since it was so long ago that I read it, I am finding it all new and fresh. Still not grabbing me though.

PF and Sharon, I'm sorry to say that "American Gods" isn't working for me after reading about 100 pages. PF I guess it's like your recent Crais novel, I'm just not in the right kind of mood for it. Thanks both of you!

In a slight way AG sort of reminds me of the novels of Carlos Castaneda.

Last edited:
Just finished "American Gods" (I liked it) and have now moved on to "Doomsday Book" by Connie Willis.

It seems a little dated so far. It was written in 1992 and takes place in 2053. There are many technologies we take for granted today that weren't commonplace in 1992 - cell phones and the internet, for instance. So they aren't even mentioned in the story. I also found it amusing that the author describes a 2 Gb hard drive as if it is an impressive piece of equipment. I'm sitting here with 4 terabytes of storage on my home computer.

Last edited:
Finishing Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but its pretty much word for word with the movie.

PF and Sharon, I'm sorry to say that "American Gods" isn't working for me after reading about 100 pages. PF I guess it's like your recent Crais novel, I'm just not in the right kind of mood for it. Thanks both of you!

Oh - too bad. At least they were library books! Did I hear somewhere (here?) that American Gods is going to be a movie (or HBO series?)... Once or twice I've had trouble with a book, saw its movie, then went back and read it avidly. :LOL:

The other is for BAR, I'm reading Hound of the Baskervilles... Still not grabbing me though.
BAR?
If it's a case of "have to read it," do what I just wrote to Gourmet Greg -- rent one of the movies - that might get you into it!
:)

I'm now reading a new Sherlock Holmes mystery, The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz. Not far enough into it to decide if I like it. I did see that it's approved by the Arthur Connan Doyle estate (which I assume means the author paid to use the name). There are several Holmes books out there, some I like, some not so much. I just finishedCold Vengeance by Preston & Child. It was OK. One I've got on hand and haven't really felt like tackling yet is a translation from a Korean novel. Translations for me are tricky. Some I love, some I just cannot wade through. I almost universally dislike Russian novels. Just too much angst. I've had no luck with Japanese novelists. There's a Turkish author who's a Nobel prize winner who I really don't like, but more frivolous murder mystery writers I like. I've like most Chinese novels I've read. This is the first Korean.

Oh - too bad. At least they were library books! Did I hear somewhere (here?) that American Gods is going to be a movie (or HBO series?)... Once or twice I've had trouble with a book, saw its movie, then went back and read it avidly. :LOL:

The book just wasn't clicking with me. I read so much that I have a system to make sure I don't spend too much time on novels that aren't going to work for me. I read 50-100 pages and then I sit for a while and think it over and compare to other novels I've enjoyed. If the novel isn't somewhere in my middle range I just forget it and move on to the next book. It's difficult to set it down and wonder what the ending will be but I just steel myself and move on. It's a good thing I get all my novels at the public library, and a good reason to get them there.

I have accepted the fact that I will not appreciate every good novel. The sooner I figure out which ones aren't going to work for me the better off I am not spending my time completing them.

BAR?
If it's a case of "have to read it," do what I just wrote to Gourmet Greg -- rent one of the movies - that might get you into it!
:)

Oops, sorry I missed this Sharon. I see Zhizara has provided a link. I've already read Hound but its just not grabbing me on the reread either. This months Book of the Month discussion is books that have been made into movies. I'm reading Hound and Princess Bride.

Sorry about that, it is a real good story. But, I also understand that not all stories are readable to others. Love Gaiman and his stories.

Just finished "American Gods" (I liked it) and have now moved on to "Doomsday Book" by Connie Willis.

It seems a little dated so far. It was written in 1992 and takes place in 2053. There are many technologies we take for granted today that weren't commonplace in 1992 - cell phones and the internet, for instance. So they aren't even mentioned in the story. I also found it amusing that the author describes a 2 Gb hard drive as if it is an impressive piece of equipment. I'm sitting here with 4 terabytes of storage on my home computer.

I really like the Connie Willis books, The Bellwether is another good one. Yes, a bit dated, but that's why a good imagination is so much fun to feed. I forget, have you read To Say Nothing of the Dog ? That one is lots of fun.

The book just wasn't clicking with me. I read so much that I have a system to make sure I don't spend too much time on novels that aren't going to work for me.

I agree with that, mostly... if I'm having to read a book for a book club meeting, though, I power through it, and I'm usually glad. Most recently, "Mr. Fox" by Helen Oyeyemi. Anyone who's into fairy tales and legends will probably like it more than I did. I had to Google a lot to figure out what was going on. In the end, I was glad I did all that. But reading for my own enjoyment, I wouldn't bother to go past page 100 if I'm not captivated, just as you said.

Books and movies... I don't know if anyone has already mentioned "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" but I thought the book and the movie were both very good. On a rare occasion for me, the movie surpasses the book.

Sorry about that, it is a real good story. But, I also understand that not all stories are readable to others. Love Gaiman and his stories.

It was a good idea! :) Have you read any Carlos Castaneda? I'm pretty sure I read them all when they first came out, and have them as trade paperbacks in my collection of very few novels and lots of cookbooks!

I'm not sure my Castenadas and your Gaiman are related at all. Both seem mystic to me.

Last edited:
It was a good idea! :) Have you read any Carlos Castaneda? I'm pretty sure I read them all when they first came out, and have them as trade paperbacks in my collection of very few novels and lots of cookbooks!

I'm not sure my Castenadas and your Gaiman are related at all. Both seem mystic to me.

No I haven't, but sounds right up my alley. Thanks!:)

Back
Top Bottom