Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thrilled that you took my suggestion. I'm nervous you won't like it. I'll be waiting with baited breath* to hear your reaction once you've got into the book.

*baited breath: I've sometimes been trout fishing using cheese as bait, and when things are slow I've nibbled the cheese, thus resulting in baited breath. ;)

I was thinking you had been munching on worms...:rolleyes:

I'll let you know, looks like something I will definitely enjoy! I've always liked vampires, zombies, werewolves...I like reading zombie books when I am in the hospital...:LOL:

Just completed "Call After Midnight" by Tess Gerritsen, and why oh why didn't I quit this one at page 50 or 100? The woman's newlywed (6 months) husband dies or disappears in Germany, and this State Department guy helps her what happened, and there's romance, and CIA, and romance, and FBI, and romance, and spies, and romance, and violence... and even one scene that went way deeper into sex than I want to read in books. (I went into my ultra-skim mode at that point.) I don't know what's wrong with me, I didn't see any mention of romance on the jacket book summary and IIRC I've read Gerritsen before, but you can be sure that's a mistake I won't be repeating in the future. Thumbs down.

Last edited:
Got a couple going -- A Cold Touch of Ice, a Mamur Zapt Mystery, by Michael Pearce. Easy reading of politics in turn of the century (19th-20th) Cairo. From the jacket: "Witty, intelligent, and charming..." I agree.

And Asa Larsson's The Blood Spilt. Only 30 pages in; so far, so good.

I just finished To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis, and sorry to say I didn't enjoy it as much as her Blackout and All Clear. It seems reasonable that the latter were written a dozen years later and the author's writing probably improved. The setting of Blackout and All Clear (mostly WWII London) was far more dramatic than the 1888 London of To Say Nothing.... with a boat ride along a river plus a stay at a country manor. I'll be interested in following possible future books but I think I'll decline reading any more of her earlier works.

Last edited:
Portuguese Historical Novel: Isaura Escrava

The leading lady of Isaura Escrava, the historical novel, which had become a Brazilian based soap opera in Portuguese in 2004; is called Isabel Esclava or Isabel the Slave ...

It takes place during the mid 1800s when Brazilian Slavery was the way of life; however, Isaura is white. However, why is she condemned to being a slave ? Very profoundly written historical account.

I am uncertain if the story or CD was copied into English. However, it is available in Spanish as well as Portuguese.

Read 11 chapters in one evening ... cannot put it down ...

www.amazon.com

Margi.

Last edited:
I just read "Hunger Games" in 2 days. I just could not put it down. I thought it was an outstanding story and well written. I am looking forward to the next book.

My turn came round at last at the library and I read "Death Comes to Pemberley." I enjoyed it and don't understand the ruinously bad reviews of this book. The plot wasn't thrilling, but P.D. James' plots are always subtle. I thought it was a very clever weaving of "Pride and Prejudice" with her imagining of later events involving the P & P characters.
If you like P.D. James and Jane Austen, you'll probably like this book.
At least there weren't any zombies in it... (not that I mind a good zombie story - I just don't get the weaving of the classic literature with modern horror that's happening now).

For "Hunger Games" fans - you might like "Divergent" by Veronica Roth. The second book in the planned trilogy, "Insurgent," comes out May 1.

Just started "Hard Magic: Book #1 of the Grimnoir Chronicles" by Larry Correia. Awesome book so far. Kind of a cross between a 1930's detective novel and X-men.

One other note. It's in audio book format, and the narrator is Bronson Pinchot, whom you might remember for playing goofy immigrant Balki Bartokomous in the 80's sitcom "Perfect Strangers". Turns out he's a terrific narrator and does a nice job of breathing life into the various characters.

Just started "Hard Magic: Book #1 of the Grimnoir Chronicles" by Larry Correia. Awesome book so far. Kind of a cross between a 1930's detective novel and X-men.

One other note. It's in audio book format, and the narrator is Bronson Pinchot, whom you might remember for playing goofy immigrant Balki Bartokomous in the 80's sitcom "Perfect Strangers". Turns out he's a terrific narrator and does a nice job of breathing life into the various characters.

That sounds like fun. Added to my Audible wishlist so I won't forget. I'm listening to The Stand right now and don't anticipate needing another audio book for a WHILE. :)

a fist in the hornet's nest, on the ground in baghdad before, during and after the war by richard engel. fascinating read--i'm a big fan of richard engel through his news reports as a foreign war correspondent in the middle east.

I've just started reading Louis L'Amour's Haunted Mesa. This is my second time reading it, and it was the very first L'Amour novel I had read--probably 20 years ago--and I went on to read every novel he had written. Haunted Mesa isn't typical of his usual westerns because it is set in modern times, a mystery novel set in the Four Corners (UT, AZ, NM, CO). No, I don't intend to reread all the rest of them too, although perhaps I may reread one or two of them some time in the future.

He wrote a lot of books! One website says 126 of them!

I've just started reading Louis L'Amour's Haunted Mesa. This is my second time reading it, and it was the very first L'Amour novel I had read--probably 20 years ago--and I went on to read every novel he had written. Haunted Mesa isn't typical of his usual westerns because it is set in modern times, a mystery novel set in the Four Corners (UT, AZ, NM, CO). No, I don't intend to reread all the rest of them too, although perhaps I may reread one or two of them some time in the future.

He wrote a lot of books! One website says 126 of them!

How Funny. Haunted Mesa was the first L'Amour novel I read as well, and I loved it, then someone told me it wasn't like any of his other novels, and it wasn't.

I rarely (and then usually by accident) re-read at all. Too many books, so little time!

But one time we were traveling through the Four Corners area and my husband couldn't resist getting our doggie out of the car, and placing her four paws in four states. How corny!

I do have a L'Amour book upstairs somewhere that I haven't read. I'm not sure if it is even fiction.

When I was in the area of the setting of the book I actually tried to drive to Haunted Mesa which IIRC I pretty much figured it was Nokai Dome, or maybe it was the mesa just across the river from Nokai Dome... Anyway I got to where I was within 5-6 miles of "Haunted Mesa" at the turnoff I figured was the correct one, and a few dozen yards in somebody had dug a big ditch right across the road, obviously intended to prevent anybody using the road, more than enough to stop my modest 4x4. I decided probably others had driven to or tried to drive to "Haunted Mesa" and the people who live in the area (mostly Navajos) didn't like that, so they fixed the road to keep people out. It was good enough for me and was an interesting trip in spite of not being able to reach the destination. That's pretty country.

The funny thing about Four Corners Monument, they mistakenly put it in the wrong spot. The story is a bit complicated and I'm not going to go into it here, but anybody who doubts me can look at their GPS. The latitude and longitude readout clearly shows that you're several miles away from where the four states intersect. IIRC the correct intersection is a few miles east and about a mile north of the monument.

I've traveled and camped a lot in the four corners states, particularly northern AZ and most of UT. That's really pretty country!

I am reading Jewish Cooking in America by Joan Nathan. It covers the early settlers up through the second world war and into the 1990's! Very interesting.

Aunt Bea said:
I am reading Jewish Cooking in America by Joan Nathan. It covers the early settlers up through the second world war and into the 1990's! Very interesting.

If you like culinary Jewish history I have a cookbook by Claudia Rodan called the book of Jewish food - it has several hundred pages of history and makes yummy things......

Finally finished My Song, A memoir. life story of Harry Belafonte, was a really great, and interesting read.

Back to re-reading some Bill Bryson. Just finished(Again) A Walk In The Woods, and wrapping up Sun Burnt Country.

Next on the agenda is Living Buddha, Living Christ. Picked it up in the book swap area of a little Latino eatery I try to go to once a week or so, heard good things about it, and it's something new.

Last edited:
Although the library only lists one other of her books, I'm looking forward to Stef Penney again. Just finished The Tenderness of Wolves, set in 1867 on the northern shore of Georgian Bay. Lots of characters, lots of plots, lots of cruel weather. A reviewer at my library called it "a rattling good yarn." Hudson Bay Company, fur trappers, Norwegian settlers, perhaps the first written Indian language; had less talk of wolves than I expected, but they were central to a story line -- a couple of young girls out to gather berries disappeared completely; wolves were blamed.

Back
Top Bottom