"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 08-02-2005, 11:56 AM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Poe has always been one of my favorites! Enjoy !!

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:42 PM   #102
Executive Chef
Hey Claire and Pds, the book WAS great until I got busy again and had to take the book back cuz it was two weeks overdue! I'll get back to it soon enough. One book I bought last weekend that I've been picking at is, "The Ship and the Storm: Hurricane Mitch and the Loss of the Fantome" by Jim Carrier. Basically the story about a 282' schooner that got trapped by Mitch and went down with all hands in 1998. Tragic but extremely well written and you really get to know the crew.

DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #103
Executive Chef
Anything by Dan Brown, Michael Crichton, and Nelson DeMille
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:01 AM   #104
Master Chef
I'm looking for a good read-aloud book for my ladies. We just finished The English Governess at the Court of Siam. The books I've read to these friends have been mind-expanders, no doubt about it. We do a lot of local memoirs (one of them was a freind of Ann Landers, he wrote her bio, and that's how we got started). A couple of our first books were a history of Greece and one of Ireland, by the same author, trying to tie the history into how we live today. Trust me, this twisted my tongue. Reading The DaVinci Code to them was great fun in that their household help fell in love with the story!!! One lady who was just there as a temp, doing cleaning, pulled me aside and asked me what I was reading! But if any of you can come up with shorter books that are interesting reading with an intellectual bent, let me know. I'm never at a lack for reading material, but we are always open to suggestion.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:20 AM   #105
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to msalper
Awareness: The Key to Living in Balance by OSHO

My friend suggested me to read it. I interested in "Reiki".. I think it will help me in this way...
"Don't let the chain of love end with you......Alper"
msalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:13 AM   #106
Master Chef
I don't reread books much, but do go back and re-read posts. It just occurred to me ... pdswife, Victoria Holt? What wonderful memories. When I was 13, just returning to the 'states from Germany, a cousin turned me on to Victoria Holt and others of her genre (I already knew about Stewart and had read most of what she had written at that point). That has given me the idea for my next readings. My friend is absolutely enamoured of the King Arthur tales, but don't think she's read Mary Stewart's Merlin books! At least I can pronounce the names (hey, I just finished reading a book full of Thai names, and have been twisting my tongue around Gaelic and Greek and ....)
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:20 AM   #107
Head Chef
My mum loved Victoria Holt,( she also wrote under the name Jean Plaidy and another name i can't remember) I haven't heard that name in years, makes me think of my mum.
This term I am going to read Charlie and the Chocolate factory to my class, there are heaps of fun activites we can do with it.
There is no such thing as a little garlic.
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:04 AM   #108
Like the plumber with the leaking faucet. Ph.D. in lit, retired from the U. I don't read literature any more because I'm burned out on it -- can't read it without being theoretically analytical . . .

And so recent books are about surfing, and lately have been looking at Robt. W. McChesney, U of Ill. at Urbana-Champaign, on media and the FCC. -- because I'm a news junkie and of late have been more and more suspicious and skeptical about news reporting and the commercial motives of the major networks: FOX, CNN, and the "big three" . . . and NPR is getting a second once over, if that's not contradictory.
Daphne duLibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:49 AM   #109
Executive Chef
I've just finished 'Lethal Intent' by Quintin Jardine - he's an Edinburgh author who writes books about an Assistant Commissioner called Skinner and another set of books about a character called Oz Blackstone.

He's a sub-Ian Rankin in my opinion, but I find them 'easy reading' - ideal for hot sunny days when you just sit in the garden, turning the pages....
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:10 PM   #110
Head Chef
I don't read much other then the newspapers. Unless that is if you want to count Dr. Seuss to the grandchildren.

"Experience is the name everyone gives to his mistakes."

tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote