Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am reading How to Cook a Wolf by MFK Fisher.

Her take on how to deal with shortages and rationing during WWII.

Dated but, interesting

I read this years ago and it was interesting. MFK, by the way, is Mary Frances Kennedy if I remember right.

Did you say fine food from Cuba? I think there must be some mistake. Cuban food is about as bland as it comes. ;)

Are you serious?? I've not been there so can't say for sure but given that Cuban cuisine is a fusion of Spanish, African and Caribbean I thought it sounded very exotic?? Maybe they just dress it up well:LOL:

Are you serious?? I've not been there so can't say for sure but given that Cuban cuisine is a fusion of Spanish, African and Caribbean I thought it sounded very exotic?? Maybe they just dress it up well:LOL:

They must! Its common knowledge that if you are traveling to Cuba you need to bring any spice you might want. They have salt and pepper but that's about it. They have to import about 50% of their food from elsewhere too. Our experience is that the food is plain, but edible.

They must! Its common knowledge that if you are traveling to Cuba you need to bring any spice you might want. They have salt and pepper but that's about it. They have to import about 50% of their food from elsewhere too. Our experience is that the food is plain, but edible.

It's not common to me but then you could say that makes me common:LOL: No, seriously I'm really surprised! I honestly thought of creole cooking and tropical dishes etc etc. I guess being a small island they can't grow so much stuff there. Oh well, I'm glad you told me and it just goes to show how they can dress up these places in magazines!!

It's not common to me but then you could say that makes me common:LOL: No, seriously I'm really surprised! I honestly thought of creole cooking and tropical dishes etc etc. I guess being a small island they can't grow so much stuff there. Oh well, I'm glad you told me and it just goes to show how they can dress up these places in magazines!!

Sorry jonnyjonny, I was not clear. I meant it is common knowledge amongst Canadian tourists traveling to Cuba. Check some of the Tripadvisor sites about the Cuban resorts. Cuba is stunningly beautiful, and probably one of the safest places we have traveled to, but the food is NOT the draw.

Sorry jonnyjonny, I was not clear. I meant it is common knowledge amongst Canadian tourists traveling to Cuba. Check some of the Tripadvisor sites about the Cuban resorts. Cuba is stunningly beautiful, and probably one of the safest places we have traveled to, but the food is NOT the draw.

Hey no worries Alix, I understood you wasn't being personal, I guessed it was because your closer to the place and it's probably like your Spain to us. I'm glad you mentioned it because I've always wanted to go there but along with how nice a place looks the food is very important to me. I like to sample the local cuisines and learn about other countries foods and if it's bland then I will choose another destination. Would you say this is common for most caribbean islands or just Cuba?

Would you say this is common for most caribbean islands or just Cuba?

Just Cuba. But don't miss out on this little gem because the food is bland. Cuba is an amazing island. Havana's cemetary, history and nightlife are legendary. Metaxas (sp) is gorgeous and so are the other cities we stopped in. Varadero is the "tourist" spot with the most pristine white beaches and calm water I've ever seen. The food is plentiful, and tasty, just not Creole or Caribbean fare at all. Think down home cooking. They make the most of what they have, there just isn't a huge variety, nor are there many spices. The other Caribbean islands I've been to have their own specialties and they are all lovely. Although its not a Caribbean island, I think my favorite place to visit and eat was Costa Rica. Mmmmmm! Who would guess red beans and rice could taste so good???

Typo in my book list The Help, not Helo. Can I not edit my own post?
You have a short time frame to edit your post. After about 5-10 minutes your window is closed. You can ask any Mod to edit for you though, just hit the report post button and someone will be happy to help you. That's why they get paid the big bucks! :LOL:

where is the report post button located?

Its the little triangle with the exclamation mark in it. Its on the left hand side, under the poster's name. Its right next to the little green or orange light that tells you if the poster is online at the time.

You have a short time frame to edit your post. After about 5-10 minutes your window is closed. You can ask any Mod to edit for you though, just hit the report post button and someone will be happy to help you. That's why they get paid the big bucks! :LOL:

Yeah, I'm considering quitting my day job...:rolleyes:

I've started "Catching Fire" the book after "Hunger Games," I'm enjoying this one, too but, I'm not that far into it right now.

I'm just starting this evening (after Internet) Kim Harrison's A Perfect Blood, her latest in her Hollows series. Although from my public library and this novel was published (released) in just the last 1-2 weeks I'm certain I'm either the first or if not that at least only the second person to read this copy. I've been on the reserve list only a few days after my public library made the title available on their reservation system. I've been waiting for this novel for months!!!

PBhcCover.jpg

From the cover jacket flyleaf:

Ritually murdered corpses are appearing across Cincinnati, terrifying amalgams of human and other. Pulled in to help investigate by the I.S. and the FIB, former witch turned day-walking demon Rachel Morgan soon realizes a horrifying truth: a human hate group is trying to create its own demons to destroy all Interlanders, and to do so, it needs her blood.

She's faced vampires, witches, werewolves, demons, and more, but humanity itself might be her toughest challenge yet.
read this: Wikipedia: Hollows Series

So anyway I've read the previous 9 in the series of this 10th sequel and I'm happy that I know for sure I'll enjoy this new sequel too.

I'm curious if anybody has accepted my recommendation to read Kim Harrison's novels.

Last edited:
Well good PF! I think particularly the first three in the series were very good and if you like her particular take on the genre you should be hooked by the first or second in the series. I'll particularly appreciate knowing what you think of her novels since I've recommended them so highly.

Meanwhile I'm #13 on the wait list for LAPL's 278 copies of Hunger Games, so I should have it within a mere week or so. I'm looking forward to reading it. And the debut of the movie is so soon!

Last edited:
Again, I find myself in the process of re-reading a book, instead of starting a new one(of which I now have a damn bag full of, but it is stuff I am unfamiliar with) .

Honeymoon with My Brother

I LOVE this book. For real. When life gives you lemons, forget lemonade, smash the lemons, and reinvent yourself, lol!

I have a tendency to toss things in a basket when cleaning up for company. My husband's 65th was Tuesday and I threw a party. Cannot find my library book and I know it is over-due. It's about the opium wars .... River of Smoke ... I think it is called. Where can it be? Under stacks of junk mail? Under a bed? Luckily (I usually read 3+ books a week) I have a very good relationship with my librarians. I had 5 books out and returned the other four well before their due date, but where could this book be?

Back
Top Bottom