"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-30-2010, 02:16 AM   #1111
Master Chef

I got into Larsson's "tattoo", but couldn't get into "kicked the hornet's nest" (I'm not sure I have them correct); too much cold war espionage for me these days (something I was into many moons ago). I think I'll try it again when I'm in a different mood.

I'm just finishing "Skippy Dies" by Paul Murray. Didn't really like it, but got so far along in it that I want to see how it ends.

I liked Koontz's "Frankenstein" more than I thought I would. Maybe next year, this time, I'll go back and read the first books in the series. I like his "Odd" series better, though.

I've been reading collections of "true" ghost stories aloud to my ladies (in honor of Halloween!), and they've been loving it. When I get back from my trip, though, I'm going to read them 'Tis' by Frank McCourt. They say they've already seen the movie of his first bio, so this is one they'll enjoy, especially since one is a lover of all things Irish.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #1112
Everymom

Picked up the latest Iris Johansen at the library. It will have to hold me til I get that Lee Child back from my cabinet at work. *grumble*

Old 10-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #1113
Senior Cook

I recommend Ann Rule true crime writer.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #1114
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I recommend Ann Rule true crime writer.
I've read many of those, very good!
Old 10-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #1115
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I will be starting a self imposed research project soon...on the Roman Invasion of Britian, just waiting for a key piece of material to show up.

You don't want to know about my other research...it's for nursing, and deals with bodily fluids.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:12 AM   #1116
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
I am re-reading The Dragon Lance Chronicles
Old 10-31-2010, 08:24 AM   #1117
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
Just got the latest AB book. Good Eats the middle years
danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #1118
Master Chef

Funny, as much as I like fiction murder mysteries, I'm not much into true crime books. I guess ... to scary! Give me nightmares. I do read them, though, when they touch on or are in places I live or have lived.

I'm slogging through the last chapters of Skippy Dies. Won't look for that author any time soon. I hate to say it, but young male writers have a sense of humor that really evades me. The various reviews/blurbs on this novel said it was funny. I must be getting old, because I found very little humor in it.

I went to the library's used book sale shelf and bought a stack for an upcoming road trip. My poor husband jokes (in all sincerity) that my reading/writing matter bag weighs more than all of our other luggage combined when we take a trip. Heck, what else do you do when miles and miles of boredom are ahead of you?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #1119
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

I went to the library's used book sale shelf and bought a stack for an upcoming road trip. My poor husband jokes (in all sincerity) that my reading/writing matter bag weighs more than all of our other luggage combined when we take a trip. Heck, what else do you do when miles and miles of boredom are ahead of you?
Time to look into getting an e-reader
Old 11-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #1120
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Time to look into getting an e-reader
Exactly what I came to post! For anyone who enjoys reading, especially those who travel, an e-reader is a life changing device.