"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

Mostly reading all and sundry posts here because I've been away for awhile and need to catch up!

Finished the latest Harry Potter two days after it was released. Almost finished with James Boswell's journal of his year in London (1762-63). Thinking of reading "French Women Don't Get Fat" next - anybody have a review?

Old 08-09-2005, 09:42 AM   #112
Chief Eating Officer

Mudbug, what did you think of Harry Potter (without giving anything away of course). I enjoyed it, but now can't wait for the next one. It is going to be a loooong wait.

I just picked up Tom Clancy's Red Rabbit.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:53 AM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

hiya geebs. Loved the latest Harry, like I did all the others. I guessed wrong on which principal character was going to...you know. I'm ready for the next movie too.

As a side note, on the way down to the Outer Banks we listened to the audio book version of "The Order of the Phoenix." Even daughter and her buddy were transfixed and did not ask us to put on one of their stupid screaming boy-band CDs instead. HH, not a great reader, has discovered audio books and listens to them on his way to and from work. That's how he "read" the latest Harry book. He's also got a bunch of Tom Clancy ones.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:57 AM   #114
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah I guessed wrong too. I am glad I did as it added to the surprise.

I have done a few books on tape and love it for long trips. I bet the harry potter books would be very well suited for tape. That must have been fun!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire

Jim Dale, the guy who does the Harry tapes, is great. Apparently he has won several Grammys for his recordings.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:50 AM   #116
Master Chef

I just started reading The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart to my ladies (one is completly house-bound with severe arthritis, her house-mate is in advanced states of macular degeneration -- very vital and active, but cannot really read a book any more). They are in love with the tales of King Arthur, so I thank you guys for helping me think aloud and remembering old books I've read. The gothic novelists are a part of my past (I loved Holt (in all her psuedonyms), Stewart, and their ilk when I was a child), and are something these ladies would never be interested. I'd forgotten that Stewart really stretched herself on this series. They are tickled with it, so I now have two more books after this. Not that it is ever a problem. These women were feminists before the word was coined, are far more educated that I. So when I said Mary Stewart -- well, I suppose luckily, they didn't even know who she was (I think I my first Mary Stewart novel when I was 11).

By the way, how DOES the web site do their ads? I'm amazed. As I was writing this I got an ad for a new Merlin book. I haven't even hit "post" yet, so I suppose it is coincidence. At least the ads that appear on the top are always appropriate, as opposed to when I used the TVFN ones that showed buff gorgeous women on the side and told me I was fat and needed to go on a diet.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #117
Sous Chef

Just finished Ursula, Under by Ingrid Hill. Wonderful. I notice there are a few people from Michigan belonging to this forum - you might be interested in this book (Goodweed of the North?). Next, The Kite Runner (Khalid Hosseini), which is highly recommended by a friend/colleague of mine. And, oh gosh, Claire, I do remember The Crystal Cave and how I loved it. I only discovered it when I was about 18 or so. How great that your are reading to those lovely ladies. -Sandyj
Old 08-15-2005, 07:55 AM   #118
Master Chef

Thank you, Sandyj! I have to say ... I just got my latest AARP mag and do you know what it said? That reading aloud will keep me going (I'm 50). Haha! Seriously, I've always wanted to discuss books with like-minded freinds, so this really works for me. We not only read, but look up odd words, and try to translate some French and even occaisionally other languages. We have connections to a professor at a Chicago university, and the editor of a major newspaper. This is actually how we got started. Anyone who loves to read sould consider doing this. On top of the reading, it is a big hike for me (only a half-mile, but completely up and down hill). Sometimes I drive it (less than 5X/yr) if the weather is severe. The entire experience is good for me, all around. My friends act like I'm doing THEM a favor. Haha.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #119
Executive Chef

I am a member of a woman's book club. Some members are colleagues, but others are friends of friends of friends.....

We've read some really interesting books that I would never have thought of buying for myself. I finally read Salman Rushdie - after swearing that I just couldn't perservere with his stuff... Still didn't like it after reading it, but at least I'd given it a fair 'go' as Aussies would say!
Old 08-15-2005, 11:31 AM   #120
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
By the way, how DOES the web site do their ads? I'm amazed. As I was writing this I got an ad for a new Merlin book. I haven't even hit "post" yet, so I suppose it is coincidence. At least the ads that appear on the top are always appropriate, as opposed to when I used the TVFN ones that showed buff gorgeous women on the side and told me I was fat and needed to go on a diet.
No coincidences, I think there is something in place that recognizes the words you type and advertises accordingly. I was just on a thread talking about smelly tupperware and the last post suggested kitty litter as help. The ads below were all pet related and urine removal related. Sheesh!

As to books, I am finally going to break down and read the DaVinci Code. I am not sure why I have been resisting, everyone tells me how wonderful it is. I am out of library books so now seems to be the time. LOL.