Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
taxlady said:
I'm reading, off and on, Anne of Green Gables on my iPhone. I never read it before. It is really well written. I am enjoying it a lot.

I loved the whole series. L.M. Montgomery was a wonderful author.

Last edited:
Guantánamo 10 Years After: By: Emma Reverter

Buon Giorno,

This is a non fiction work based on the prison that was created under the Bush Administration after the September 11th, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Centres.

Journalist Emma Reverter reveals the secrets behind this concentration camp.

I about to begin the book in Spanish and it is called:

Guantánamo Diez Años Despues

Have nice wkend.,
Ciao, Margaux.

I'm reading a kindle freebie "Don't Let Me Go" about a young girl whose mom is going through drug and alcohol addiction. The girl makes friends with a ragtag group of folks in her apartment building who band together to take care of the girl. One of the folks is agoraphobic. The girl bonds with him and seems to help him with his anxieties. I'm about 1/3 into it. Really good.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread lately as I've been reading so much. I'm now working on the Eve Duncan series by Iris Johansen. It's stand alone stories, but I got tired of reading about happenings from other books so I finally looked up the order they were written and am working my through my latest batch.

Funny I just finished Iris Johansen's What Doesn't Kill You which was a bit better than her And Then You Die... and Eight Days to Live, but I made a note to never read another of her novels. Not exactly bodice rippers but I think there are plenty of better novels out there.

Recommendation: Stephen White's latest "Alan Gregory" novel is out next month, Line of Fire. Gregory is a psychologist, just like the author, and White has unusual perceptions about psychological characters and psychological thrillers. Sadly this is the planned penultimate volume of the 21 novel series. White says he will be writing new projects that do not involve the Alan Gregory character.

The release announcement must have been well hidden (or I'm the only White fan awake in Los Angeles) because I reserved my copy at the LA Public Library in a sub-20 spot, and if LAPL buys as many copies as previous Steven White novels then I expect them to buy 200+ copies, so I'll get to read the novel within about a week of the publishing date.

The publishing date of this novel is August 7, 2012, mere weeks from today. Are there any other White enthusiasts here on the forum? ... Any who read the reviews and are attracted to the series should begin with the first published volume and should continue in chronological (publishing date) order. Although the novels can be enjoyed separately, but there is a progressive character ensemble development.

Last edited:
jabbur said:
I'm reading a kindle freebie "Don't Let Me Go" about a young girl whose mom is going through drug and alcohol addiction. The girl makes friends with a ragtag group of folks in her apartment building who band together to take care of the girl. One of the folks is agoraphobic. The girl bonds with him and seems to help him with his anxieties. I'm about 1/3 into it. Really good.

Thanks for the rec, Jabbur! It was $3.99 without Prime, but I ordered it anyway. Reviews are stellar.

Right now, because it is hot and not something that inspires me to read anything intellectual, I'm going for the latest #1 Ladies' Detective Agency novel. I love them.

My latest books hadn't arrived yet, so I checked the downstairs community library and someone else has donated a whole shelf of murder mysteries. I grabbed a bunch! These are authors I don't recognize, but I've been finding a lot of new favorites this way.

Just started -Ender in Exile- by Orson Scott Card. The second timeline book in the Ender saga. Great si-fi series. I recommend it to everyone.

I've just started book #3 of a military sci-fi series called "The Lost Fleet". Mindless stuff, really, but kind of fun. It's full of space heroes, villains, distant worlds, and epic shoot-em-up battles. I'm hoping it will carry me into vacation in another week.
I'm now up to book #6 of this series, which is the final book. The characters and story pick up in another series called "Beyond the Frontier". So that's next on my reading list.

I'm reading Deep Creek by Dana Hand; tells the story of Chinese miners back in Gold Rush days. Coincidentally, last night a radio program told of gold miners in the Peruvian Amazon jungle, who are apparently living the same hardscrabble existence today as those 1800's miners.

Fun! When I was a kid, my parents bought World Book Encyclopedias. Over the course of two years, I read all of them from cover-to-cover. I just love that sort of stuff.

Actually, I did too! Dad couldn't bring a reference book home without me sitting down to read it cover to cover.

Claire said:
Right now, because it is hot and not something that inspires me to read anything intellectual, I'm going for the latest #1 Ladies' Detective Agency novel. I love them.
I've been listening to those books on CD while I'm driving. I drive an hour one way to my weekly chiropractor appointment so I have 2 hours to listen. I've been enjoying those stories. I'm listening to "Tea Time for the Traditionally Built." I accidentally picked up an audiobook by the same author with similar box design but it wasn't part of the detective series. I got bored listening to it. Maybe it is better in print. I'll have to check for it at the library. I don't remember the full title but it has "Muddy Saturday " in it.

Back
Top Bottom