"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-16-2011, 12:52 AM   #1251
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
... "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," by Douglas Adams, on my Kindle.

Copy cat.

I just grabbed the complete set today on the Kindle and started them.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #1252
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Copy cat.

I just grabbed the complete set today on the Kindle and started them.
Exactly, you made me do it...made some room on my wish list. I distracted Shrek with a new Clive Cussler, nabbed the set, a nurses drug book and a medical terminoloy text...he never knew what hit him (or his debit card).

Old 01-16-2011, 02:18 AM   #1253
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I never even knew what a library was until I was in the sixth grade (went to public school too!) To this day I feel the lack. So a couple of times a year I read a children's book. Just now I am reading "Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie". It's a story about pioneer life. ( You cannot imagine what a wonderous feeling it was to walk into a library the first time and finding that I could check out as many of those wonderous things as my little heart desired. I think I got about 30 the first time. No exaggeration.)
I, too, read children's or young adults' books on occasion. My old ladies love to revisit books from their childhoods as well. One I'm thinking of looking up is A Wrinkle in Time. It was the first Sci-Fi book I ever read, and I have no idea how old I was when I read it. No girl, and maybe many guys, can ever forget The Secret Garden and Anne of Green Gables.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:35 AM   #1254
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I, too, read children's or young adults' books on occasion. My old ladies love to revisit books from their childhoods as well. One I'm thinking of looking up is A Wrinkle in Time. It was the first Sci-Fi book I ever read, and I have no idea how old I was when I read it. No girl, and maybe many guys, can ever forget The Secret Garden and Anne of Green Gables.
I could point and say, "It's over there, on the third shelf..." but, this might be more helpful. It's still in print. A Wrinkle in Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #1255
Master Chef

I had a few books in mind for my ladies this year, but then yesterday she mentioned something about the final scene in King Arthur's tales. She has a sort of fixation on King Arthur (also Joan d'Arc), so when I see something new on those two subjects I pick it up (I live at the library, ha-ha, and Amazon is my second best friend). Anyway, caregiver brought me Morte d'Arthur. I skimmed it and said No, this isn't what she wants. She has a copy of Once and Future King around here somewhere (finding books in her house can be a nightmare; she's of the persuasion that you never give a book away). Luckily caregiver found it immediately, I found the scene she wanted and read it. Then Caregiver asked if I'd read it next. She's often told me that she's learned more from my reading aloud to the ladies than she ever learned in school. OK, we can do that. Long books are quite an undertaking to read aloud, but we can give it a go. Sure beats the inspirational//religious tomes that the caregivers hint towards (not, NOT, to my ladies' or my own taste). We'll see how it goes. For myself I'm struggling to finish Parrot and Olivier in America. Not really to my taste, don't know why I'm finishing it. Booker prize winners are often not to my taste.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #1256
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I had a few books in mind for my ladies this year, but then yesterday she mentioned something about the final scene in King Arthur's tales. She has a sort of fixation on King Arthur (also Joan d'Arc), so when I see something new on those two subjects I pick it up (I live at the library, ha-ha, and Amazon is my second best friend). Anyway, caregiver brought me Morte d'Arthur. I skimmed it and said No, this isn't what she wants. She has a copy of Once and Future King around here somewhere (finding books in her house can be a nightmare; she's of the persuasion that you never give a book away). Luckily caregiver found it immediately, I found the scene she wanted and read it. Then Caregiver asked if I'd read it next. She's often told me that she's learned more from my reading aloud to the ladies than she ever learned in school. OK, we can do that. Long books are quite an undertaking to read aloud, but we can give it a go. Sure beats the inspirational//religious tomes that the caregivers hint towards (not, NOT, to my ladies' or my own taste). We'll see how it goes. For myself I'm struggling to finish Parrot and Olivier in America. Not really to my taste, don't know why I'm finishing it. Booker prize winners are often not to my taste.
I think I need The Once and Future King on my Kindle...I am an Arthur Freak, too! She may like the Arthur books By Jack Whyte, if she would like new stories and just a bit closer to actual history. I loved them.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #1257
Master Chef

I love this thread! When I need new books to read, I come here and see what everyone here is reading and can make a list of ones I want to read! I'm on a Stephen King run right now. DS gave me The Stand which I have started and am enjoying and have Insomnia next. I avoided his books because of Carrie (a bit too creepy) but so far The Stand is intriguing.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #1258
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I love this thread! When I need new books to read, I come here and see what everyone here is reading and can make a list of ones I want to read! I'm on a Stephen King run right now. DS gave me The Stand which I have started and am enjoying and have Insomnia next. I avoided his books because of Carrie (a bit too creepy) but so far The Stand is intriguing.
The Stand, the best Stephen King in my opinion. Enjoy!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #1259
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The Stand, the best Stephen King in my opinion. Enjoy!
That or The Shining.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #1260
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
That or The Shining.
Or the Novella: Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption

From the book: Different Seasons