"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #1271
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Fiona, I've noted Jack Whyte down for future reference. Never heard of them. You might like, if you haven't, The Crystal Cave series by Mary Stewart (Stuart? Can't remember), the King Arthur tales told from Merlin's point of view.
Oh yes, read them all, they are all over there on the fourth shelf.

The Jack Whyte books are well embedded in possible history. How it could have really happened. I love them.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #1272
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh yes, read them all, they are all over there on the fourth shelf.

The Jack Whyte books are well embedded in possible history. How it could have really happened. I love them.
She would love that, I'll definitely check Amazon and the library. She's always questioning me about if I think this or that could really have happened. Of course, can you imagine how long Once and Future King will take to read aloud?
__________________

__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #1273
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
She would love that, I'll definitely check Amazon and the library. She's always questioning me about if I think this or that could really have happened. Of course, can you imagine how long Once and Future King will take to read aloud?
A lot longer than it takes me to read to myself I bet I've read that one 12-15 times.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #1274
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
I finished The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, and went back to my unfinished (this time around) Angels & Demons. Now I'll have to get (and read again) The DaVinci Code so I'll have the whole set.

In addition, I just placed my first order with Abe Books for 8 Robert Heinlein books (for starters), including my favorite Stranger In a Strange Land which has been overdue for rereading for a Loooong time. I may just have to read it twice just to catch up.

In addition, I ordered Friday, Revolt in 2100, To Sail Beyond The Sunset, The Cat Who Walked Through Walls, Beyond This Horizon, Have Spacesuit Will Travel, The Rolling Stones, and Time Enough For Love!

I'm going to be in heaven when they come!
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #1275
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
right now am reading obsession by john douglas and mark olshaker. john is guy that pretty much invented the profile identification of criminals. very, very thought provoking. next is the west memphis three. it is about three teenagers convicted of killing three young boys. the writer thinks they are innocent. all are in prison, one death row, and the other two in for life. i have read first chapter. will finish before i have an opinion.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #1276
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I finished The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, and went back to my unfinished (this time around) Angels & Demons. Now I'll have to get (and read again) The DaVinci Code so I'll have the whole set.

In addition, I just placed my first order with Abe Books for 8 Robert Heinlein books (for starters), including my favorite Stranger In a Strange Land which has been overdue for rereading for a Loooong time. I may just have to read it twice just to catch up.

In addition, I ordered Friday, Revolt in 2100, To Sail Beyond The Sunset, The Cat Who Walked Through Walls, Beyond This Horizon, Have Spacesuit Will Travel, The Rolling Stones, and Time Enough For Love!

I'm going to be in heaven when they come!
Makes me feel good just reading the titles!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #1277
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Makes me feel good just reading the titles!
Doesn't it? I knew you'd get a kick out of this since I know you love Heinlein just like I do.

I didn't really bother to pick and choose except for SIASL, I want them all and at those prices I just might get them. I can't wait to start rereading them.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #1278
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Just finishing up The Human Stain - one of the very vivid characters is a ruined Vietnam vet. Also nearly half through Enslaved by Ducks about a couple's home menagerie of mostly birds - parrots, ducks, geese - but also rabbits. I trade off with this one when Stain gets too intense. Up next is Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #1279
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Doesn't it? I knew you'd get a kick out of this since I know you love Heinlein just like I do.

I didn't really bother to pick and choose except for SIASL, I want them all and at those prices I just might get them. I can't wait to start rereading them.
SIASL and Time Enough For love, I read those at least every 2 years.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #1280
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
I'm definitely behind on my rereading. I also want to get the Lazarus Long series. I loved those. Then there's the Future History series....
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm going to make a meatloaf tomorrow and was wondering SizzlininIN Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 23 02-17-2005 12:50 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.