Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just finished listening to "Garlic and Sapphires" by Ruth Reichl. It was fun to listen to, tho got a little repetitive... anyone else like that one?

Also listened to Robert Heinlein's "Farnham's Freehold"... which I read many years ago... I still enjoyed the story, but it sure seemed dated. Some have mentioned reading Heinlein lately. Can't remember when I've heard characters in a book use the word "shan't" so much... :)

Also listened to Robert Heinlein's "Farnham's Freehold"... which I read many years ago... I still enjoyed the story, but it sure seemed dated. Some have mentioned reading Heinlein lately. Can't remember when I've heard characters in a book use the word "shan't" so much... :)

Heinlein is an annual favorite in this house. Shrek and I never get tired of the stories. I would say, "Farnham's Freehold" is a favorite, but actually it's Heinlein that is the favorite.

Last edited:
Sharon: "Here are some thumbnail descriptions, but really you'd do better to look up the descriptions on Amazon or Goodreads or such!"

I usually read the descriptions on my local library website. Ditto Amazon. I didn't know about Goodreads, so thanks for the tip. And more titles 'n stuff - goody!

An Unmarked Grave by Charles Todd
the Dog Stars by Peter Heller
NW by Zadie Smith
Criminal by Karin Slaughter
Odd Apocolypse by Dean Koontz
Breakdown by Sara Paretsky

OK, finished (well, kind of) all but one. NW was one of those very few books I just could not get into. It doesn't happen often, but when I got to a page where the words were just scattered across the page I gave up.

Dog Stars I thought I wasn't going to like, but wound up liking, if that makes any sense. I really have a dislike of books where you can't see, very plainly, who is saying what in dialogue. but in the end I liked the book and was glad I persevered.

Odd Apocalypse is part of a series. I'm normally not into the paranormal or extra-sensory or whatever you want to call it, but I like Koontz's take usually and have developed a liking for poor Odd. It wasn't my favorite of the Odd books, and I'd recommend taking this series from the start, or at least earlier in the series, or you probably won't like it.

Karin Slaughter and Sara Paretsky's novels are just what I want from series mysteries. You know the characters and style and are reading for the pure enjoyment of getting lost in the story.

I've just started An Unmarked Grave, called to renew the books and found that the computer crashed and I can have the books as long as I want. Huh. Not a problem anyway, I'm such a library lover and they know it. So the books will go back probably on Monday and I'll tell you about the next batch!

Let me know how you like it. I know it is selling well but some of the reviews say it is a ho-hum book. Okay but not great.

I will Jab :)

So far, it is ho-hum...not really getting into it as yet, about a quarter way through it!

Does not seem to flow as well as her HP books :neutral:

An Unmarked Grave by Charles Todd

Have you read any of the other books by Charles Todd? I see there are quite a few by this mother-son writing team - and new to me... It's always great fun to find a new series of books.

If you like "historical mysteries" you might enjoy the Maisie Dobbs novels by Jacqueline Winspear. I just discovered her and really enjoyed the first one (titled Maisie Dobbs) It reminded me a little bit of Dorothy Sayers.

Let me know how you like it. I know it is selling well but some of the reviews say it is a ho-hum book. Okay but not great.

Jab, I have stopped reading it...I could not get into it and the storyline did not interest me either :rolleyes:

Have you read any of the other books by Charles Todd? I see there are quite a few by this mother-son writing team - and new to me... It's always great fun to find a new series of books.

If you like "historical mysteries" you might enjoy the Maisie Dobbs novels by Jacqueline Winspear. I just discovered her and really enjoyed the first one (titled Maisie Dobbs) It reminded me a little bit of Dorothy Sayers.

No, I hadn't read others by Todd. But yes, I love Maisie Dobbs, have read them all. I can see the Sayers thought. I really do love mystery series; they are, for the most part, my "brain candy". I mean, you know the characters and can just slide into them. But then, I was a huge fan of Trixie Beldon and Nancy Drew!

Jab, I have stopped reading it...I could not get into it and the storyline did not interest me either :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input Kylie. I've been curious about it but didn't want to spend the money! If it ever comes up as a freebie for the kindle, MAYBE then I'll tackle it.

I just finished Neil Gaiman's "American Gods". Quite interesting. I had read Good Omens that he wrote with Terry Pratchett and it is in a similar vein to that so I enjoyed it.

Currently reading "The Last Justice" by Anthony Franze (a freebie from Amazon) about an attack on the Supreme Court with 6 of 9 Justices killed. Just getting started but can see many threads that will have to come together in the end.

No, I hadn't read others by Todd. But yes, I love Maisie Dobbs, have read them all. I can see the Sayers thought. I really do love mystery series; they are, for the most part, my "brain candy". I mean, you know the characters and can just slide into them. But then, I was a huge fan of Trixie Beldon and Nancy Drew!

Coincidentally, I'm about 2/3 through Charles Todd's A Long Shadow. It's an Inspector Rutledge, and I like it a lot. So An Unmarked Grave goes onto my list, too. Thanks, Sharon & Claire. Oh, and I'll see if my library has the Ruth Reichl. And Maisie Dobbs.

One more thing -- I enjoyed reading Salt and would like a recommendation for something similar. Suggestions, anyone?

Back
Top Bottom