Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one reading 3 or 4 books at once.
Right now it's the third 'Hunger Games', 'Pride and Prejudice' on my Kobo because I'm seeing the play soon, and also a very interesting book called 'A Train in Winter - An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship and Survival in World War Two'. Extremely interesting - just wish I had scads more time to keep up! Got some more ideas from you all now! Thanks!

Thanks for the input Kylie. I've been curious about it but didn't want to spend the money! If it ever comes up as a freebie for the kindle, MAYBE then I'll tackle it.

I just finished Neil Gaiman's "American Gods". Quite interesting. I had read Good Omens that he wrote with Terry Pratchett and it is in a similar vein to that so I enjoyed it.

Currently reading "The Last Justice" by Anthony Franze (a freebie from Amazon) about an attack on the Supreme Court with 6 of 9 Justices killed. Just getting started but can see many threads that will have to come together in the end.

I am so glad you liked "American Gods", it's a favorite of mine and the same thread runs through his book "Anansi Boys" loved that one, too!

Thanks for the input Kylie. I've been curious about it but didn't want to spend the money! If it ever comes up as a freebie for the kindle, MAYBE then I'll tackle it.

Your very welcome Jab :)

I thought it was going to flow like her HP books did, but it felt all jerky, going from one character/group of characters to another, it just didnt feel right to me and I had a really hard time trying to enjoy it

Yes, a freebie on the Kindle may be a good idea to try it out :)

I heard a radio interview today with Emma Thompson, who has written a new Peter Rabbit book, following up in Beatrix Potter's style. She read portions of it aloud, and actually I would like for her to read it to me tonight for a bedtime story. So sweet! I'd probably sleep better than with the murder mysteries I usually read before I hit the hay. :sleep:

"The Big Bang -A history of explosives" by G.Brown. A fascinating book that traces how explosives have been of great benefit to mankind as well as being used for warfare. From Greek fire to nuclear fusion.

"The Big Bang -A history of explosives" by G.Brown. A fascinating book that traces how explosives have been of great benefit to mankind as well as being used for warfare. From Greek fire to nuclear fusion.

This is a must buy for my husband! Thanks for the hint.

Coincidentally, I'm about 2/3 through Charles Todd's A Long Shadow. It's an Inspector Rutledge, and I like it a lot. So An Unmarked Grave goes onto my list, too. Thanks, Sharon & Claire. Oh, and I'll see if my library has the Ruth Reichl. And Maisie Dobbs.

I didn't realize that I have, in fact, read other books by "Todd", just the Rutledge ones, not the other series.

OK, I wasn't able to get to the library for a few days, so went into my own "stash" of books and read Preaching to the Corpse by Roberta Isleib, Mary Stewart's The Ivy Tree (revisiting an old favorite from childhood!), and started Ian Rankin's Set in Darkness.

The books I picked up at the library were:

Telegraph Avenue (Michael Chabon)
San Miguel (T.C. Boyle)
The Lower River (Paul Theroux)
You Might as Well Die (J.J. Murphy)
A Sunless Sea (Anne Perry)
Salvation of a Saint (Keigo Higashino)
The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken (Tarquin Hall)

I usually start with the book that seems the most easy and frivolous, then work up to ones that might be more challenging (this is a 2-3 week progression). I'm not sure about Higashino's book. I read several series that are translations, and some I love, and some I find, well, for lack of a better word, dense. I haven't really enjoyed books translated from Russian or Japanese. Turkish ... a couple of authors I like, but some are rather, well, like the Russian books (let's all go out and commit suicide). The rash of Scandinavian authors I rather like, except for the last book (I don't feel like searching right now for the author's name, but it is, if memory which isn't much serves me, is something like a girl kicking a hornet's nest. I really didn't like it, although I liked the author's previous books. Maybe I'll try it again, after all, it isn't like he's going to write another book!

I didn't realize that I have, in fact, read other books by "Todd", just the Rutledge ones, not the other series.

The Todd book had lots of twists & turns at the end. Good book, and I look forward to more Rutledge tales.

A big thank you also to Sharon for Jacqueline Winspear's The Mapping of Love and Death, which introduced me to Maisie Dobbs. I'm about one third into it. I have borrowed a couple of characters (actors) from Downton Abbey -- I picture Downton's Mary for Maisie and Matthew for James, even if the physical descriptions in "Mapping" don't necessarily match. I'm the casting director for movies in my head, so I get my pick. :)

Oh, my own stash of books? I went to the library's annual book sale. I usually work the sale, but wasn't sure if my hip would let me this year. So I went from physical therapy to the book sale and bought 22 books for $20. Other women may dream of designer clothes or sports equipment, but I toted home a huge stack of books. There are usually three categories of books; hard-back, regular paper-back, and I've heard them called trade books (why?) or book club editions, that is to say, better paper-backs. Most of what I bought were in the latter category. Obviously, I'm well-known with the library, and it is a fun social event as well. So there are 20 books in my guest room, just waiting for me. I only read them when I can't get to the library, or am travelling. Books, books, and more books!

The Todd book had lots of twists & turns at the end. Good book, and I look forward to more Rutledge tales.

A big thank you also to Sharon for Jacqueline Winspear's The Mapping of Love and Death, which introduced me to Maisie Dobbs. I'm about one third into it. I have borrowed a couple of characters (actors) from Downton Abbey -- I picture Downton's Mary for Maisie and Matthew for James, even if the physical descriptions in "Mapping" don't necessarily match. I'm the casting director for movies in my head, so I get my pick. :)

I really like Maisie Dobbs. Like Rutledge, it is interesting to read books of an era that is largely forgotten, the WWI and between the wars.

OK, I wasn't able to get to the library for a few days, so went into my own "stash" of books and read Preaching to the Corpse by Roberta Isleib, Mary Stewart's The Ivy Tree (revisiting an old favorite from childhood!), and started Ian Rankin's Set in Darkness.

The books I picked up at the library were:

Telegraph Avenue (Michael Chabon)
San Miguel (T.C. Boyle)
The Lower River (Paul Theroux)
You Might as Well Die (J.J. Murphy)
A Sunless Sea (Anne Perry)
Salvation of a Saint (Keigo Higashino)
The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken (Tarquin Hall)

I usually start with the book that seems the most easy and frivolous, then work up to ones that might be more challenging (this is a 2-3 week progression). I'm not sure about Higashino's book. I read several series that are translations, and some I love, and some I find, well, for lack of a better word, dense. I haven't really enjoyed books translated from Russian or Japanese. Turkish ... a couple of authors I like, but some are rather, well, like the Russian books (let's all go out and commit suicide). The rash of Scandinavian authors I rather like, except for the last book (I don't feel like searching right now for the author's name, but it is, if memory which isn't much serves me, is something like a girl kicking a hornet's nest. I really didn't like it, although I liked the author's previous books. Maybe I'll try it again, after all, it isn't like he's going to write another book!

My goodness, Claire! More names to put on my to-read list. Have you ever looked at Nancy Pearl's Book Lust? So many books, so little time.

Although technically I can't say I'm reading these (yet) because I began the Winspear book first, my last trip to the library also netted these:

Loon Lake by E. L. Doctorow
Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi
The Wives of Henry Oades by Johanna Moran
Birds of America - a collection of short stories by Lorrie Moore

A few pages into Mr. Fox shows it to be odd, quirky, and fairly entertaining so far.

Although technically I can't say I'm reading these (yet) because I began the Winspear book first, my last trip to the library also netted these:

Loon Lake by E. L. Doctorow
Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi
The Wives of Henry Oades by Johanna Moran
Birds of America - a collection of short stories by Lorrie Moore

A few pages into Mr. Fox shows it to be odd, quirky, and fairly entertaining so far.

Doctorow is still writing? I never used to be into short stories, but am thinking about it. Haven't much read the past few days, but, then, haven't had a few real insomniac nights. That said, I have no idea what time it is, I think maybe 3 a.m. and I've been up for a couple of hours. Staying off the computer is a really, really, good idea for insomniacs who actually would like to sleep!

Doctorow is still writing? I never used to be into short stories, but am thinking about it. Haven't much read the past few days, but, then, haven't had a few real insomniac nights. That said, I have no idea what time it is, I think maybe 3 a.m. and I've been up for a couple of hours. Staying off the computer is a really, really, good idea for insomniacs who actually would like to sleep!

Loon Lake was copyrighted by Doctorow in 1979. There are 9 other titles listed as written by him - I don't know which one is "freshest."

I don't usually get short story collections either, but thought I'd try out the author since that was the only one of hers on the shelf right now.

can someone give me a review of j.k.rowling's new book, the casual vacancy? anyone read it already? it's $14.99 for the kindle copy at amazon, so i'm holding off for a bit....

I'm about to read Sheila O'Flanagan- Someone Special. I buy most books at fleamarkets and garage sales. I read the back of this one and I think I may have already read it! Hate it when that happens :(

Back
Top Bottom