Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got back from a family emergency. We drove for three days coming and going. In the 3+weeks we were gone I read:

The Hot Kid by Elmore Leonard. Don't think it's one of his best, but still good.
Ian Rankin's Fleshmarket Close Pretty good
Deadly Advice by Roberta Isleib. I like "cozy" mysteries for brain junk food, and this fit the bill.
A Reliable Wife. by Robert Goolrick. Very interesting
The September Society by Charles Finch. This is a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Sir Peter Whimsley. Great fun.

These are all books I bought at the library guild's annual used book sale. I usually work it, but wasn't sure my leg was up to it. As it was, I bought 22 books for $20. Obviously I went through half of them this trip. A friend in California and I exchange books we think we'd like, and a couple of these qualify. She sent me a half-dozen books when I was laid up with a broken hip. Book friends are the best friends!

Just started The Innocent, David Baldacci. Good so far!

I have yet to read a bad book by Baldacci. The first one of his I read was Wish You Well set in the Virginia mountains. Not his usual mystery/thriller genre but then I had nothing to go on since I hadn't read any of his other books. I then started reading more of his works and have enjoyed every one I've read. Complex characters, compelling story lines, wonderful settings.

I have yet to read a bad book by Baldacci. The first one of his I read was Wish You Well set in the Virginia mountains. Not his usual mystery/thriller genre but then I had nothing to go on since I hadn't read any of his other books. I then started reading more of his works and have enjoyed every one I've read. Complex characters, compelling story lines, wonderful settings.

I just have to see his name on a book...have to be careful I don't buy a second copy.:rolleyes:

jabbur, interesting that you should mention baldacci's wish you well.:) i've been a longtime fan of baldacci. i was thrilled at finally be able to share a book of his with my aging mother. she liked the book a great deal--was probably surprised at such a fine author never publishing another book. sorry mom, david.:) as a fellow virginian, i am proud and pleased to share a "residence" with such a great talent as baldacci. i'm also proud that john grisham is a fellow virginian-- holds frequent local book-signings, and such. i have read about half of his writings, but i'm afraid it has been mostly out of a rather perverse sense of loyalty...in contrast, ii picked up my addiction to baldacci before ever knowing that he was from virginia, and before i myself lived here.

Last edited:
Vitauta - I was introduced to his writing through the UVA magazine. My son was a student there and the magazine did a short blurb on him (he got a degree from UVA and usually mentions the University in some fashion). I picked up Wish You Well first and have been hooked ever since.

Just got back from a family emergency. We drove for three days coming and going. In the 3+weeks we were gone I read:

The Hot Kid by Elmore Leonard. Don't think it's one of his best, but still good.
Ian Rankin's Fleshmarket Close Pretty good
Deadly Advice by Roberta Isleib. I like "cozy" mysteries for brain junk food, and this fit the bill.
A Reliable Wife. by Robert Goolrick. Very interesting
The September Society by Charles Finch. This is a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Sir Peter Whimsley. Great fun.

These are all books I bought at the library guild's annual used book sale. I usually work it, but wasn't sure my leg was up to it. As it was, I bought 22 books for $20. Obviously I went through half of them this trip. A friend in California and I exchange books we think we'd like, and a couple of these qualify. She sent me a half-dozen books when I was laid up with a broken hip. Book friends are the best friends!

Welcome back. I missed your post.

Vitauta - I was introduced to his writing through the UVA magazine. My son was a student there and the magazine did a short blurb on him (he got a degree from UVA and usually mentions the University in some fashion). I picked up Wish You Well first and have been hooked ever since.

that's so cool, jabbur! i suppose we dedicated baldacci followers have taken many different paths to get to him, but i'll bet most of us ultimately reach the same destination, and catch a severe baldacci habit.

...all roads lead to rome :)

My first Baldacci was the first Camel Club story. The Innocent is breaking my wrist...I highly recommend this title.

After reading Wish You Well and seeing all the comments about how different it was from Baldacci's usual stories, I had to go get one to see the contrast! True Blue was the next one I read.

Reading Lee Child's Jack Reacher books now.
If you like that genre, I highly recommend them.

And I just don't see Tom Cruise in the title role...

Sparrow, my hubby loves Stephen King :)

I dont think he is into vampires though...but I am, will look into it, thanks :)

I'm still on a Heinlein kick. I'm currently read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. It's fun seeing how most of his books take place in the same "universe".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom