Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mudbug said:
Wastewater management plan (with 5 appendixes) for a facility in the Midwest and a closeout report for a cleaned-up Superfund site in the mid-Atlantic area.

But I'm bringing a bunch of good trash to read at the beach. And I can't wait.
Andy M. said:
You're going to love it! What a fantastic ending, you'll never guess how it's going to turn out! I couldn't put it down.
mudbug said:
LOL, Andy. And didn't you love Appendix 3????!!! 200-plus pages of manufacturer's literature.

Can't wait for the movie.
Nah, save your money, the film really stinks right up till the ending where they're all singing "Shall we gather at the river" :LOL:

Although I did like the fact that they used The Doobie Brothers original version of "Black Water" for the opening theme.

~ Raven ~

claire, licia-

try reading Dee Henderson's books. mystery/romance genre. I really like the interplay between the characters. Some even made me laugh out load. She has a couple of different series.

also try Francine Rivers.

Both are Christian writers, but it's not "in your face".

raven-
I could never get past Deuteronomy....
I should try the plain english (easier to read) versions. I think we have one.

lol on the wastewater book comments.....

oh - also started reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Does anyone know if this is a true story?

Last edited:
currently reading Stephen King's series, the dark tower... on "The Wolves of Calla"

Here are some of my favorite authors;
M.C. Beaton
Peter Robinson
Hennig Mankell
Georges Simenon
Martha Grimes
Ruth Rendell
Ann Granger
As you can see I love mysteries. JoAnn

I've always liked Danielle Steele books too Sizzlin :) I bought a book about two months ago and havent read it yet "in her shoes" by Jennifer Weinner. I've been debating whether to get the dvd first or read the book. I typically like to read the book and use my imagination first, and then see how the movie compares. I think it's time to read that book on my front porch, on a nice sunny day, or even a warm rainy day for that matter :)

What are you reading now?

What is everyone reading? Favorite author?

I love to read and a bookworm...most recent read was "The Englisher" by Beverly Lewis. Love to read cookbooks too. Favorite author: Too many to pick just one...Lewis, Koontz, King, Sparks, and on and on.

Current reads: Frieda and Min - Pamela Joonte
Saveur Cooks Authentic Italian
The Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean - Paula Wolfert

My favorite author is James Patterson. I read all his books over and over again.

Right now I'm only reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

I usally read 5 or 6 books at a time but not this time.

Still trying to finish up the beach books I took to OBX - Janet Evanovich, and one of the Ladies Detective Agency series. Also have to polish off the Stephen Jay Gould book of essays I borrowed from a colleague at work.

When the weather cools off a bit, I wil re-read at least one Jane Austen book.

I love Jane Austen too.
Just now I'm reading P. D. James' The Lighthouse
This summer I've re-read all the Harry Potter books
and all the Diane Mott Davidson mysteries. Have ya'll read those? Cooked any of the recipes?

Here is what I am currently reading:

The Field Guide to Geology by Davis Lambert. Basic geology reading, but a good refresher nonetheless.

Feather River Country Adventure Trails by Tom DeMund. I have made a goal to hike at least two of the local trails this summer, so I am reading this book to decide where to go.

Rockhounding California by Gail A. Butler. This is just to find some interesting rock formations in the local area.

I love sparks!!!! I own and have read all of his books. I also love Jane austen. I am reading Emma right now which is her only novel I haven't read and I am also reading david copperfield.

I have a few faves. Time Traveler's Wife by Niffenegger (sp?) is the ultamite fave. Harry Potters. Lord of the Rings. I know I have plenty more but I can't think of all them now.

Right now I'm reading the fifth Harry Potter. Next is Cloud of Sparrows.

Just finished Espresso Tales by Alexander McCall Smith. I love his 'Scotland Street' series and other Edinburgh-based books. Have found his African detective books are not to my taste, though.

I haven't read much books since I came to Italy, I still have too much trouble reading in Italian and books that I would like written in English is not always available. I now have collection of e-books that I downloaded from internet, but it is not exactly the same reading them on a monitor... :neutral: (I like reading books sprawled out on a sofa or bed...)

James Herriot has always been close to my heart and I never get tired of his lovely stories.
I also like crime novels, Bruce Alexander, Colin Dexter (the famous Inspector Morse series, though I never really liked the series on the telly...), Reginald Hill, Stuart Kaminsky (of the Rostnikov series) and Donald Westlake, the author who writes those hysterically funny crime novels, most famously the Dortmunder series. Another my old standby which I never get tired of is the Sharlock Holmes series by Conan Doyle.

I'm finishing "When French Women Cook", by Madeleine Kamman. What a great read. re-reading "Love And Kisses and a Halo Of Truffles", James Beard's letters to and from Helen Evans Brown. "Leone's Italian Cooking", Gene Leone, them of the famed restaurant in New york.

SierraCook said:
Here is what I am currently reading:

The Field Guide to Geology by Davis Lambert. Basic geology reading, but a good refresher nonetheless.

Feather River Country Adventure Trails by Tom DeMund. I have made a goal to hike at least two of the local trails this summer, so I am reading this book to decide where to go.

Rockhounding California by Gail A. Butler. This is just to find some interesting rock formations in the local area.

Sierra, don't know if I've recommended these to you before, but anyway -
you need to read Norman Maclean - "Young Men and Fire" (abut smokejumpers) and "A River Runs Through It" (waaaaaaay better than that awful movie)

BakersDozen said:
most recent read was "The Englisher" by Beverly Lewis. Love to read cookbooks too.

Hey I just finished that one also! Along with the first one "The Preacher's Daughter". Can't wait for the 3rd and final... It comes out in September, I believe.

corazon90 said:
I have a few faves. Time Traveler's Wife by Niffenegger (sp?) is the ultamite fave.

Did you ever get my message on the previous book reading thread? I had got it from the library and read it. Very good read and I thank you for the recommendation....:flowers:

urmaniac13 said:
I now have collection of e-books that I downloaded from internet, but it is not exactly the same reading them on a monitor... :neutral: (I like reading books sprawled out on a sofa or bed...)

James Herriot has always been close to my heart and I never get tired of his lovely stories.

I can't read online either.... have to be curled up in comfy chair or in bed...
Love James Herriot - have all of them.

lately have been reading some Louis L'Amour. Got hooked on him in the 8th grade when one of my teachers had us go through "Down the Long Hills" chapter by chapter.
have also read a few a friend gave me by Luanne Rice.

now have tons of cooking magazines to look through....:-p but reading a novel is so much more relaxing....

mudbug said:
Sierra, don't know if I've recommended these to you before, but anyway -
you need to read Norman Maclean - "Young Men and Fire" (abut smokejumpers) and "A River Runs Through It" (waaaaaaay better than that awful movie)

Mudbug, I have read them a few times. They are some of my favorite books!! :) The movie was OK, but the book is definitely better.

My favorite series of books are by Anne McCaffrey about the Dragonriders of Pern. I could read those books over and over again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom