"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #131
Everymom

eek.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:41 PM   #132
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Yep.. all the time. Books are my "drug" of choice.
I love it.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:15 PM   #133
Everymom

OK, I have spent the day nose down in Eleven on Top, and have laughed out loud in the coffee shop (receiving odd looks from the old duffers playing cards). I have laughed all day and my sides ache. Janet Evanovich never fails to amuse the heck out of me. This is a perfect summer read. Quick, funny and just all around light hearted.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #134
Head Chef

I just started Life of Pi.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:18 PM   #135
Sous Chef

I thoroughly enjoyed Life of Pi. Great book.Sandyj
Old 08-18-2005, 11:27 PM   #136
Master Chef

Loved The life of Pi. pretty strange, but I thought it was great. The most interesting book I'm reading right now is The Shadow ofthe Wind. Luckily, it was sent to me from a friend who I share "odd" books with, because the ladies I read to might be interested. I loved so many books recomended in the same genre.

I guess what I'm getting at is ... how many of you have read books that are translated into English? Some are better than others. I've read many (the given is that I cannot read a novel or anything else in any language but English), and sometimes I love it, sometimes I get frustrated. For example, I've read the Maigret mysteries translated by two different people, and one set are great, another frustrate the holey hades out of me. Translations are interesting and frustrating. Anyone got a comment on that? Umberto Eco comes to mind. Right now it is The Shadow ofthe Wind (Great). Asian-to-English might be the hardest. Anyone out three interested?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:01 AM   #137
Sous Chef

More Books...

I know what you mean about the translations, but I was thinking about some books I've read by writers for whom English is not their first language:

"Hanna's Daughters" by Marianne Frederickson was translated from Swedish into English, French, you name it....even Chinese, and it was a best seller everywhere. This book resonated so for me. It's the story of several generations of Swedish women. I was reminded of the women in my own family, and I think this must have been true for people all over the world.

Works by Chinese writers often seem to translate beautifully. I am in awe of the prose - how can it be that good when it wasn't even written in English? I'll try to think of some names for you.
"God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy - a young writer from India. Actually, she probably did write this in English, and English is probably not her first language. I had to mention it, it was just beautiful.

"Interpreter of Maladies" by Jhumpa Lahiri......
Old 08-19-2005, 10:11 AM   #138
Executive Chef

I love the novels of Isabel Allende (no, NOT because we share a forename!) which are translated from Spanish to English.

I first read her novel 'House of Spirits'. I don't remember who does her translations, but a Spanish-speaking friend tells me that they are very 'near' to the originals.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:19 AM   #139
Master Chef

Question

My other hobby besides cooking is reading. Here is my current reading list:

Graced by Pines-The Ponderosa Pine in the American West by Alexandra Murphy (Pines are living constants in the landscape. They hold the West's history, both in the rings of their heartwood, hidden with like human memory, and in the outward manifestations of their daily living--in their blackened fire scars, the borings of beetles and woodpeckers, the goshawk nests high in their wolfy crowns, the wind-sculpted drape of their branches, and the stumps, smooth as tables, left by logging. By apprehending this history, we come to know the pines, and in turn, to know the West.) This is my favorite paragraph of the book. It is so true, pines and other trees are the living history of an area.

Eldest by Christopher Paolini (Darkness falls....Swords clash....Evil reigns.)

The Birds of America by John James Audubon (My mom gave me this book. It was given to her by my great great aunt. It was printed in 1946.)

What are you reading?

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:23 AM   #140
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I am trying to improve my reading skill (or lack of.. should I say...) in Italian, so I am tackling an Italian translation of some Sherlock Holmes short stories. I can only read as Beavis and Butthead would do..."C-c-c-a...r...o Watson, eh um uh huh huh, a quuuuaaaantoooo...uh huh huh, uh huh huh...parrrrreee p-p-p...e...r me....eh heh heh..."...well as you can imagine it is going on a snails speed, but it helps that I know these stories by heart. I just hope it will improve into at least a turtle's speed eventually...
I would also like to get my hands on some more recent releases of Donald Westlake, John Dortmunder series in particular....