Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although it's impossible to ever know the number, no doubt many a reader will read your post, say "Oooo. That sounds good," and grab up a pencil to add this selection to their list of future reads, as I will.

Now where did that list of books go???:wacko:

i'm quite astonished at the sheer lyrical beauty of the book recently authored by a good friend of mine. it's probably as well written as anything i've read in the past year. i'm referring to mike romeling's "tale of the taconic mountains". and, in his own words, "hey, did i mention that it goes for less than a gallon of gas today? just sayin.' the book is equal parts mystery, history and paranormal, and the kindle version is a bargain at under four dollars....

At the recommendation of my best friend, I just began reading Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James. Apparently it caused quite a stir within the literary community but, so far, I don't see any reason for any uproar. If it doesn't pick up very soon, I may return it to the library.

At the recommendation of my best friend, I just began reading Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James. Apparently it caused quite a stir within the literary community but, so far, I don't see any reason for any uproar. If it doesn't pick up very soon, I may return it to the library.
It is worth the read once you get into it. I am on the 2nd book right now Fifty shades darker. I am almost done & ready for the 3rd book:)

Hey Mystery Fans

An article in the newspaper announced this year's Edgar Allan Poe Awards (Edgars) winners. Details & more at the website mysterywriters.org; if you're interested in Florida writers, try mwaflorida.org.

Snip, have you read all of her Shopaholic series?

Don't think I've read them all. The Confession of a Shopaholic Series was co authored by Sophie Kinsella wasn't it? I read it long ago, can't remember all the details.
I read Confessions of a shopaholic, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan and Shopaholic ties the knot.

I've read the Stephanie Plum series completely, Metro Girl and finished Motor Mouth last night. Love them all so far :)

Last edited:
did you catch that fancy cross-referencing move of tin's this morning? love that! makes everybody scramble to see what they've been missing.:)

alix and pf must have season seats for that bay window... and they claim that watching construction work on the back deck is the main attraction--yeah, right....:)

did you catch that fancy cross-referencing move of tin's this morning? love that! makes everybody scramble to see what they've been missing.:)

alix and pf must have season seats for that bay window... and they claim that watching construction work on the back deck is the main attraction--yeah, right....:)

We like hollering work suggestions to Thor, like..."take off your shirt":angel:

We like hollering work suggestions to Thor, like..."take off your shirt":angel:

we must make sure to invite the work crew to our big spring bar-b-que that's in the works for when all of this work is over and done with. can't you just see Thor working that grill, putting his brand marks on some big juicy rib and strip steaks, lord, sucking on a beer can, hot doggg....:)

I used to read a lot but stopped for a while. I'm always busy.
We just joined the Library and I've started reading Motor Mouth by Janet Evanovich. Not bad so far. I've read lots of her other books and loved them all, hopefully this one just as good!

Snip, when my sister had her children, she stopped reading for awhile, because she said that she got so involved with the book, that it was one or the other. Her kids are now in their teens and she can now relax a bit and read!

Just finished "Hiss and Hers" by M.C.Beaton, and almost am done with "Never say Pie" by Carol Culver. Next in the chute are "Delusion in Death" bye J.D. Robb, "Invisible Murder" by Lene Kaqaberbol & Agnet Friis (the latest in authors in the Scandinavian translation murder mysteries) and "The 100-year Old Man Who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson, and Cop to Corpse by Peter Lovesey. My "modus operendus" is to start with the lightest book and work up to the darker/heavier ones. Then when I next hit the library, I'm ready for light again. Since Dad and Godmother died over holidays, I simply don't do much serious anyway for the time being. Pure escape is the name of the game! Anyway the Pie and Hiss books were what you'd expect, the "cozy" mysteries; and I always enjoy the food-oriented ones.

All of these books, except one, turned out to be exactly what I expected over the past few weeks. But I have to say that "The 100 year old man..." was the most engaging, just because it was so very unusual. I guess it started when I checked it out. I was approaching the checkout counter and overheard a librarian say that his father would be 100 years old today if he'd lived that long. Then I brought the book up and he laughed. Good humor

Turned out to be an interesting and fun book if you're into a bit of dark humor. Think Forest Gump, the sixties movie, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World" and both versions of "the Lady Killers" movies rolled into one. A little too long, but fun.

Don't think I've read them all. The Confession of a Shopaholic Series was co authored by Sophie Kinsella wasn't it? I read it long ago, can't remember all the details.
I read Confessions of a shopaholic, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan and Shopaholic ties the knot.

Sophie Kinsella wrote them all as far as I am aware Snip :)

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier. She brings the true-life story of a young woman, Mary Anning, who finds amazing fossils on the English coast near Lyme Regis in 1823. Most important were the first ever discovered fossilized remains of a "Loch Ness monster," as we think of this creature. This exhibit, a plesiosaurus, is still in the British Museum in London. Check it out on Wikipedia, and try this book. It's only a couple of years old - 2010.

Snip, when my sister had her children, she stopped reading for awhile, because she said that she got so involved with the book, that it was one or the other. Her kids are now in their teens and she can now relax a bit and read!

That's the same reason why I don't read much. I get too involved and ignore my kids :angel:

I picked up White Nights by Ann Cleeves from the library. Its part of a mystery series that takes place on Shetland Island. I'm looking forward to starting it.

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier. She brings the true-life story of a young woman, Mary Anning, who finds amazing fossils on the English coast near Lyme Regis in 1823. Most important were the first ever discovered fossilized remains of a "Loch Ness monster," as we think of this creature. This exhibit, a plesiosaurus, is still in the British Museum in London. Check it out on Wikipedia, and try this book. It's only a couple of years old - 2010.

If this is the first book you've read by Tracy Chevalier, I encourage you to read her other works. She's wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom