"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #1401
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I just finished David Baldacci's Absolute Power and started The Deeds of the Disturber an Amelia Peabody mystery by Elizabeth Peters. I've been considering a Kindle. I'm waiting for it to come down some in price to the $100 range. When they came out with the $114 I was about to jump on it until I realized it had ads on it. Figure I get hit with enough of those on TV, newspapers, junk mail and magazines. Don't want it with my books!
As I understand it you don't get ads while reading. Only between books, but since I don't have the "sponsored" Kindle I can't verify that. Mine is first generation.

I do think Amazon should throw ya a bone and toss in some book purchases with the thing.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #1402
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
As I understand it you don't get ads while reading. Only between books, but since I don't have the "sponsored" Kindle I can't verify that. Mine is first generation.

I do think Amazon should throw ya a bone and toss in some book purchases with the thing
That was another turn-off for me, and the fact that the books cost about the same as a DTB. I feel that's a ripoff.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #1403
Chef Extraordinaire

That's how I understood it, too, Frank. I figured it would be like the non-obtrusive ads I have on a lot of my Droid's free apps. Still, if I purchased a Kindle, I think I'd spend the extra 20 bucks or whatever it is to not see them. Just for the fact that I will be using the Kindle a lot more. I want to turn it on and see book, not ads.
I bought one for my sister and she loves it. I've almost pulled the trigger on one for myself a few times. I used to read a lot, recently read an online book, and I think the Kindle would be nice on those nights I can't find anything to watch on 300 channels
I like that it will read in low light, cuz as a lot of us know, the older we get, the lower the lighting gets I don't understand the book pricing though. A lot of books there's not much savings at all, and that just doesn't seem right.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #1404
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
Well I belong to a Christian book club that is $13 a month. Plus I trade in mine for store credit.
I trade for store credit, too. Since I have store credit, I can't stay out of the bookstore!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #1405
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's how I understood it, too, Frank. I figured it would be like the non-obtrusive ads I have on a lot of my Droid's free apps. Still, if I purchased a Kindle, I think I'd spend the extra 20 bucks or whatever it is to not see them. Just for the fact that I will be using the Kindle a lot more. I want to turn it on and see book, not ads.
I bought one for my sister and she loves it. I've almost pulled the trigger on one for myself a few times. I used to read a lot, recently read an online book, and I think the Kindle would be nice on those nights I can't find anything to watch on 300 channels
I like that it will read in low light, cuz as a lot of us know, the older we get, the lower the lighting gets I don't understand the book pricing though. A lot of books there's not much savings at all, and that just doesn't seem right.
Really depends on the books you are buying. I was able to save half on my nursing books and most of my reference books (dictionaries, etc.) were $1. Novels, especially new ones, some are half hardcover price, but only a dollar or two off the paperback price.

I especially like the convenience of finding a recommended title and being able to get it, ASAP, before I forget the title.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #1406
Chef Extraordinaire

Having a book instantly available is certainly a perk.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #1407
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Stubbs
Well my husband says if u like to read it a good thing
Old 06-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #1408
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Having a book instantly available is certainly a perk.
Books vs Kindle...my argument, using Taber's Medical Cyclopedia.

If I pick up Taber's I can find what I am looking for faster with a DTB than the Kindle, that's where the convenience ends. The Taber's is heavier than the Kindle; if I lose the page, I have to find it again, actually minor inconveniences. However, with the Kindle, it instantly bookmarks the last page I am reading, it's small enough I can hold it for longer periods, I don't have to hold it open to read it. AND, the best part...I have the rest of my nursing and reference books in my hand if I need them and some lighter reading for my lunch break.

I know, I sound like a Kindle commercial...I still buy DTB's...why? Because I love the feel and smell of a book.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #1409
Chef Extraordinaire

I just received an email from Amazon... no doubt because they track what I am looking at, lol. 114 for the ad Kindle and 189 for the non-ad... I thought it was a lot closer in price. That's a pretty big difference. I think I'll hold out for a while longer.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #1410
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Stubbs
Well at least im not the only one that likes the smell.