Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm half way through "White Knights" by Ann Cleeves. A Shetland Island mystery. And I'm a quarter of the way through a audible book called "A Fatal Winter," the main character is a vicar named Max Tudor. Very english country house murder. Perfect for my noctural rambling/insomnia episodes.

Kylie1969, if this is your virgin reading of the Hobbit I envy you. I think the Hobbit is one of the reasons why I'm such an evid reader. Wonderful book. (BTW, I have it on audible too. Can't wait to get to that one. I think I've read it like 6 times.) Enjoy. =o)

Yes MM, this is the first time for me and I am really enjoying it and having recently seen The Hobbit at the pictures....twice.....I am noticing that they have closely stuck to the book for the film as when I am reading some lines, it is exactly what the actors have said for example :)

Reading THE MILLS OF GOD by Deryn Lake. In a sleepy village in England it becomes a place of terror and night shadows. The new vicar and Inspector Tennant try to find a serial killer.

Went to the library and got Gooseberry Patch's BIG BOOK OF HOLIDAY COOKING. There are recipes for year round celebrating. It is a beautiful cookbook, with lots of great tips along with the recipes.

I'm reading the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly.
Ex-cop turned private investigator, with a very interesting
meta-physical, evil incarnate on earth twist.

The Inquisitor's Key-A Body Farm Novel, by Jefferson Bass (yes, I know they are two people). In the UK the book title is, The Bones of Avignon.

I just read "The Queen's Gambit" by Walter Tevis for the 3rd... maybe 4th... time. Read about it! From a review by "HeadButler" Jesse Kornbluth:
"I believe that you will care about Beth Harmon more than any fictional character you've encountered in years and years.
I believe that you will grasp the wrench of loneliness --- and the power of love --- as if this book were happening to you.
And I believe that you will weep, and cheer, and, at the end, raise your fist like a fool for a little girl who never existed and a game only nerds play."
the complete review

i'm, like, not a junkie for every big scandalous murder trial that comes along, truly i'm not. but i got all caught up with this very sad and bizarre case of casey anthony's. i followed it closely while the trial was ongoing, and now, 1 1/2 years later, i couldn't help but return to the scene of the crime.
sharon--too bad we can't trade books when we're done....:)

I'm sure neither book can say "what really happened" - which is what we want to know! I didn't know many of the details before reading the book - just that the verdict was a shock to many. I thought the Ashton book was not particularly well written. He really didn't hide his disdain for Baez. Don't know if I'll opt for another $4.99 for "Presumed Guilty" (the Kindle price for both books). Let me know if you think I should! :)

I have a thing for mysteries (I guess the proper term is crime fiction). I like both the "cozies" and the darker ones. In the latter category are the Scandinavian authors who seem to be coming out of the woodwork. Right now I'm reading "Phantom" by Jo Nesbo (Norwegian), and just finished "Lethal Investments" by k.o. dahl (another Norwegian). But there seem to be a lot of Scandinavian authors in this genre lately. And I like most of them, so far.

Duma Key Steven king... I am almost finished then I am going to read the last book in the Wheel of time series started by the late Robert Jordan.

I have a thing for mysteries (I guess the proper term is crime fiction). I like both the "cozies" and the darker ones. In the latter category are the Scandinavian authors who seem to be coming out of the woodwork. Right now I'm reading "Phantom" by Jo Nesbo (Norwegian), and just finished "Lethal Investments" by k.o. dahl (another Norwegian). But there seem to be a lot of Scandinavian authors in this genre lately. And I like most of them, so far.

Claire; These are two of my favorite authors from Sweden:

Henning Mankell- all of his Insp. Kurt Wallander (they have made for TV some mysteries from his books on PBS).

Hakan Nesser- Insp. VanVeeteren

Claire; These are two of my favorite authors from Sweden:

Henning Mankell- all of his Insp. Kurt Wallander (they have made for TV some mysteries from his books on PBS).

Hakan Nesser- Insp. VanVeeteren

I've read (and seen, on BBC/PBS the Mankell/Wallander series. Not read anything by Nesser. I particularly like to keep up with the Swedish, since I have a Swedish friend.

I'm sure neither book can say "what really happened" - which is what we want to know! I didn't know many of the details before reading the book - just that the verdict was a shock to many. I thought the Ashton book was not particularly well written. He really didn't hide his disdain for Baez. Don't know if I'll opt for another $4.99 for "Presumed Guilty" (the Kindle price for both books). Let me know if you think I should! :)

Yow, sharon, i owe you a big apology! my intention was to get back to you right after finishing the baez book, but i forgot, and it's probably a moot question for you by now.
just in case you are still interested, of the two poorly written books about the casey anthony trial, the baez one was by far the more interesting one.

what made the reading of both books especially tedious was that neither baez or ashton seemed able to resist the temptation of retrying their lengthy, ponderous cases for a second time in their books. and both were guilty of attacking each other voraciously through character assassination and petty one-upsmanship. as a result, neither one came across as very credible when it really counted.

i must say, one thing resulting from my reading 'presumed guilty', was that my opinion about the verdict in this case underwent--not a reversal, but a major change. the reason being that i learned quite a bit of information about casey, her family, and about case evidence in general, to which i had not been privy at the time of the trial.

eventually, i imagine a 'casey' book will find its way into print, but as you already stated, we will likely never know the true facts regarding this tragic death.

Back
Top Bottom