"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #1451
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i'm way too obsessed with the ongoing casey anthony trial, and need a really good, riveting book to separate my from this addiction. anybody got one?
You might be interested in the Body Farm series - just yesterday I caught a clip on TV news of one of the Anthony trial experts who's associated with the Body Farm in TN. He testified as to forensics in the case.

The books are basically mysteries. Listed as written by Jefferson Bass, they are co-written by two men, Jon Jefferson, and Dr. Bill Bass, who founded the UT Anthropology Research Facility -- The Body Farm --that scientifically studies decomposition of corpses. Maybe won't keep you on the edge of your seat, but they're very well written and authoritative on the subject.

Liz
__________________

__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #1452
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
You might be interested in the Body Farm series - just yesterday I caught a clip on TV news of one of the Anthony trial experts who's associated with the Body Farm in TN. He testified as to forensics in the case.

The books are basically mysteries. Listed as written by Jefferson Bass, they are co-written by two men, Jon Jefferson, and Dr. Bill Bass, who founded the UT Anthropology Research Facility -- The Body Farm --that scientifically studies decomposition of corpses. Maybe won't keep you on the edge of your seat, but they're very well written and authoritative on the subject.

Liz
patricia cornwell and i traveled the 1990s together, sharing some nine books and following dr. scarpetta around. don't know why i stopped reading her, but i see she's doing just fine without me....thanks for this Jefferson Bass tip - it's a gem! what good news--some half dozen of the body farm ebooks are a bargain at $7.99 !! all i need to do now, is decide which one to download first. of course you realize this will do nothing but feed into my already raging anthony trial obsessions....thanks
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #1453
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
patricia cornwell and i traveled the 1990s together, sharing some nine books and following dr. scarpetta around. don't know why i stopped reading her, but i see she's doing just fine without me....thanks for this Jefferson Bass tip - it's a gem! what good news--some half dozen of the body farm ebooks are a bargain at $7.99 !! all i need to do now, is decide which one to download first. of course you realize this will do nothing but feed into my already raging anthony trial obsessions....thanks
If you liked Patricia Cornwell, you will LOVE Jefferson Bass. None of what they have written has ever butted heads with what I learned in Anatomy and Physiology class.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #1454
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
If you liked Patricia Cornwell, you will LOVE Jefferson Bass. None of what they have written has ever butted heads with what I learned in Anatomy and Physiology class.
in that case, i just may have hit the mother lode here!!
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #1455
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i'm way too obsessed with the ongoing casey anthony trial, and need a really good, riveting book to separate my from this addiction. anybody got one?

i too am watching it on and off. certainly doesn't have the quality announcers of the old court t.v.what channel are you watching? mine is on a cable channel. i miss the court tv channel.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #1456
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
I am reading "I Have Lived A Thousand Years" written by a woman that survived auschwitz and forced labor in a german factory, in germany. tough to read, but i have been doing research on this topic.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #1457
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i too am watching it on and off. certainly doesn't have the quality announcers of the old court t.v.what channel are you watching? mine is on a cable channel. i miss the court tv channel.
i don't have cable, but i am watching it online cnn.com/live (9:00a.m.-5:00p.m.)
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #1458
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i don't have cable, but i am watching it online cnn.com/live (9:00a.m.-5:00p.m.)
That's good to find out. Think I'll tune in later this morning. Way back when, I was glued to the set watching the OJ trial spin out - recorded a good bit of it, but for some reason haven't really wished to revisit that unhappy bit of history. These cases are stranger than fiction, aren't they?

One of the Body Farm novels was Bones of Betrayal, which led to my doing Google time on the secret doings there in East TN when they were rushing to develop the atomic bomb. Ver-r-r-y interesting.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #1459
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 415
I am at the end of reading Unbroken. Japanese POW true story. Powerful stuff.
__________________
Barbara
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #1460
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
i'm happily, busily making a reading list for myself from the authors and books you guys are recommending. here's a news flash for ebook readers: amazon has an offering of some 600 book titles from 99c--$2.99 for "summer readers". here's some authors that caught my eye: pat conroy, andre dubus, william styron, alan d. foster, ian fleming, jack higgins, robert b. parker, kurt vonnegut, to name just a few...good stuff, huh?
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm going to make a meatloaf tomorrow and was wondering SizzlininIN Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 23 02-17-2005 12:50 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.