Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve and I have seen and read all Harry Potters, they are really good...glad you enjoyed the 1st book Rad :)

I'm finishing a Baldacci...The Forgotten and then starting another called, The Hit. I'm going to finish it if I have to duct tape myself to my chair.

You probably won't need duct tape. His books are hard to put down. I've been on a Baldacci binge for awhile now.

You probably won't need duct tape. His books are hard to put down. I've been on a Baldacci binge for awhile now.

My problem is I have places to be all weekend...so I'm only getting in small amounts of time to read. I can see three Baldacci's I need to read "next".

And I found an Andre Norton I hadn't heard of, two stories in one volume - The Forerunner Factor.

i just 'bought' the first eight chapters of db's 'the hit' in kindle, for FREE. in effect, i have constructively delayed payment for this ebook by at least 24 hours, possibly longer. sometimes i even amaze myself with my clever financial maneuverings....

I recently finished "The Last Election" which was about the Mayan calendar and how it affected the US election of 2012. The characters initially were described very much like current folk in DC but taken just a hair more exaggerated. But it veered into novelization pretty quickly.

Right now I'm reading "The Ex Who wouldn't Die" kind of a humorous murder mystery.

I am curious. Have any of you read any books in the far past that have stayed in your memory to this day? For me the first one was My Friend Flicka by M. O'Hara. That book turned me on to reading during my early school years. And the next one was Five Smooth Stones . A story of an interracial relationship during the fifties. The ending left me stunned. It goes into the 60's and the last sentence was the main character being shot at the same moment Kennedy was shot in Dallas and at that very same moment the interracial baby of his was born. That book has stayed in my mind all these years. There have been others, but not like these two. :angel:

Last edited:
I am curious. Have any of you read any books in the far past that have stayed in your memory to this day? For me the first one was My Friend Flicka by M. O'Hara. That book turned me on to reading during my early school years. And the next one was Five Smooth Stones . A story of an interracial relationship during the fifties. The ending left me stunned. It goes into the 60's and the last sentence was the main character being shot at the same moment Kennedy was shot in Dallas and at that very same moment the interracial baby of his was born. That book has stayed in my mind all these years. There have been others, but not like these two. :angel:

As a youngster I loved The Biography of a Grizzly by Ernest Thompson Seton. And all the Tarzan series by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.

At the time I thought Huckleberry Finn had a pretty wild life. Being allowed to read it made me feel pretty grownup. Maybe that was my Grandmother's idea when she told me that it contained some things that a child my age might not understand. I got my nose in that book and started turning pages! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

five smooth stones--one helluva book, addie. i found myself searching for a book as good as fss for a long while after, not finding one....

As a youngster I loved The Biography of a Grizzly by Ernest Thompson Seton. And all the Tarzan series by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

I'm sure I read all of ER Burroughs when I was in 7th and 8th grade...Tarzans and the Mars books. Loved them. I know I spent a year reading all the Louis L'Amour books, too.

I remember reading all the stories made into movies by Disney, "My Side of the Mountain", "Charlie the Lonesome Cougar" etc. Many of the books you mention, Addie, I read so long ago I don't remember the stories that well. At a young age (6-9) I was reading 2-3 books (novels) a week, more in the summer months. The books I remember the most have some aspect of Science Fiction in them.

"Gone with the Wind" will always hold a special place in my heart. I read that book one summer in junior high school. Mom said it was a good book for me to read. It was the longest book I had read up to that point. Coincidentally, just as I finished the book, a movie house near by was showing the 1939 movie. Mom decided we needed to go see it. We left Dad home with the little kids and just Mom and I went. What a special memory that is.

five smooth stones--one helluva book, addie. i found myself searching for a book as good as fss for a long while after, not finding one....

Ann Fairbairn wrote only two books. The other one is That Man Cartwright. Amazon has it and you can get it on Kindle. Again she tackles one of life's unjustices. Immigrant farmers. I am going to have to get it myself. :angel:

"Gone with the Wind" will always hold a special place in my heart. I read that book one summer in junior high school. Mom said it was a good book for me to read. It was the longest book I had read up to that point. Coincidentally, just as I finished the book, a movie house near by was showing the 1939 movie. Mom decided we needed to go see it. We left Dad home with the little kids and just Mom and I went. What a special memory that is.

As good as the movie was in an effort to stick to the book, there is nothing like reading it. To bad she only wrote that one book. :angel:

GWTW was Mom's and my fave too, Jabbur, and we went to see it together at our home theatre with my good girlfriend and her mom. Will always remember that, it was really special.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom