Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My nephew had Asperger's, I was the one who led folks in the right direction from a Psych chapter in nursing school. Unfortunately we were too late to make his childhood easier. We found the book at Costco, a lady saw Shrek looking at it and told us how much it meant to her and how good it was. If Shrek had put it back I would have put it in the cart. He's been asking me some very insightful questions about my nephew just from reading the book.

My niece didn't get diagnosed until her mid 20's. We always knew she was different and had some repetitive behaviors. She seemed to function well in school academically but was always socially awkward. It was sometime during her junior year of college things came to a head and she was asked to leave school. I'd guess it was about a year later she finally got her diagnosis and proper therapy. After reading the book, I could see so much of her in the author. I think if her mother hadn't died of cancer when she was 13, she may have gotten diagnosed sooner.

Nephew made it three years in college before he had his meltdown, we never found the right med combo for him and the headaches he had. The dots connected for us when he was in Junior High and had failed at being re-integrated into the normal classroom.

I find it interesting when teachers and administrators find out a kid has a spectrum diagnosis. They automatically think the kid belongs in special ed, because they have a "diagnosis" and are a bit odd. Not always the case. We've always had odd kids, they just think differently, and that's not a bad thing! These kids need support, routine, knowlege of expectations and what's coming next.

Last edited:
I just finished The Legacy by Katherine Webb.
The Legacy by Katherine Webb | 9780062077301 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

I love historical fiction and this book had the added benefit of knowing what happened generations later in present day. It's really unlike anything I've read before, although it takes some time to get into the swing of that. This was a very satisfying read, and one I'll long remember.

I've decided I just can't read a book during baseball season. Any other time I can sit down and read for a couple hours and in a few days a book is done. When "play ball" starts it seems my reading time becomes my baseball time. Guess I'll stick with magazines and newspapers until the end of the season...

Steve has just started reading the new Dan Brown ebook Inferno..he said it is very good thus far, I may have to read it too :)

'Game of Thrones' by George R R Martin. I am on book 3 of 7!! Loving' them. There is a TV series of them but don't want to see that as the characters in my head are always different to someone else don't you think??

Right now I'm reading "The Hangman's Daughter" which is a murder mystery set in the 1600's Germany/Bavaria. A midwife is accused of the murder and is tried as a witch. The hangman and a physician are trying to prove she's not a witch. Very interesting reading.

Jabbur, that sounds really good. I love books like that.

I just finished "The Salt Bride," a Georgian romance. Very good. Yesterday I downloaded "Sh*t My Dad Says." It's just like it sounds :) It started as a Twitter feed and is now a book. I read a sample and laughed out loud a couple of times, so I had to buy it.

'Game of Thrones' by George R R Martin. I am on book 3 of 7!! Loving' them. There is a TV series of them but don't want to see that as the characters in my head are always different to someone else don't you think??

I agree with you on that menumaker. I watched one movie based on a Rita Mae Brown; when I saw who they cast for the lead all I could think of every time she was onscreen was "Really?". This is also the reason I don't listen to books on disc. When I read a book I "hear" the characters' voices. Even if the author themself reads his/her own book they never sound like "my" character sounds! :LOL:

Jar City: A Reykjavi­k Thriller [Paperback] Arnaldur Indridason

A crime novel that takes place in Iceland. The first of the series. I think this author has won the Golden Dagger Award for mysteries for this series. I'm going to crank up my a/c and pretend that its not so hot outside!

Jar City: A Reykjavi*k Thriller [Paperback] Arnaldur Indridason

A crime novel that takes place in Iceland. The first of the series. I think this author has won the Golden Dagger Award for mysteries for this series. I'm going to crank up my a/c and pretend that its not so hot outside!

I usually read Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett in the summer when it's hot...thanks for something else to read on a hot day!:)

Just finished "Flatscreen", weirdly interesting, and restarted "The Devil in the Kitchen", which is proving to be fun.

I ordered "Bad Monkey" by Hiassen, but I'm saving it. All are Kindle.

Last edited:
I am reading a crime novel '' Helsinki Blood'' by James Thompson. It's very good .It's the fourth book by this author I have read.All take place in Finland but author is American so the translation waiting time is eliminated. [Sometimes it takes several years]The first book is set farther north from Helsinki in the arctic circle of Lapland. I seem to be reading a lot of Scandinavian crime novels lately.I Also like Arn. Indridason from Iceland. I used to like the'' Jesse Stone'' novels, but since Robert B. Parker passed, the new authors first book was not quite as good. Also liked the Steig Larsson 3 part series. mysterychef

Right now I'm reading Tempest at Dawn. It's about the convention in Philadelphia when our constitution was created. It's a novelization of the facts but so far it's been interesting reading.

Back
Top Bottom