"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #1501
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
finishing up "By Their Hand" while waiting for my books by mail from the library. it is like having your own public library.
__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #1502
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
I grabbed A Clash of Kings (on my kindle) last night.
__________________

__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #1503
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I grabbed A Clash of Kings (on my kindle) last night.
I have too many choices facing me when I finish what I'm reading, I can't decide what I want to read next. How was Game of Thrones? I did not watch the TV program.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #1504
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
The book was true to the show... errmm.. the show was true to the book. The book was more detailed. I found Martin's writing style detailed but straight forward. He isn't flowery, just complete.

Face paced when it needed to be. Very similar to R A Salvator in style, but smoother.
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #1505
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Finished Face Changers, it was as good as Thomas Perry's stuff usually is. I'm now into Odd Thomas. I have LOL'ed a few times and I'm only a few pages into it.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #1506
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
The book was true to the show... errmm.. the show was true to the book. The book was more detailed. I found Martin's writing style detailed but straight forward. He isn't flowery, just complete.

Face paced when it needed to be. Very similar to R A Salvator in style, but smoother.

Thanks, Frank!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #1507
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Started the Marion Zimmer Bradley Darkover trilogy, A World Divided: Star of Danger, The Bloody Sun and The Winds of Darkover.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #1508
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
finishing up "By Their Hand" while waiting for my books by mail from the library. it is like having your own public library.

actually is is "by their father's hand" guy in calif. that thought he was jesus, had many children with his daughters . he shot and killed nine of the kids, cause the law was asking questions. really a scum bucket guy.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #1509
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
I think on this one, it depends on how often you buy new books. I almost never do. I buy used, when I do buy, and mostly use library books. I have several hundred books around the house, a big reference library of odd sorts. But I'm slowly getting rid of a lot of all of them. I'm even thinking of asking two friends who collect cookbooks to come and pick over my collection. That'll be a heart-breaker, but in fact, can't remember the last time I used a recipe aside from a dozen or so favorites, so eventually they will have to go. I'm one of those people who don't like a lot of stuff around that is not of use to me.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #1510
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I think on this one, it depends on how often you buy new books. I almost never do. I buy used, when I do buy, and mostly use library books. I have several hundred books around the house, a big reference library of odd sorts. But I'm slowly getting rid of a lot of all of them. I'm even thinking of asking two friends who collect cookbooks to come and pick over my collection. That'll be a heart-breaker, but in fact, can't remember the last time I used a recipe aside from a dozen or so favorites, so eventually they will have to go. I'm one of those people who don't like a lot of stuff around that is not of use to me.
I have lost the use of 6-8 inches of the perimeter of most rooms in the apartment because of bookcases. And there are still stacks of books that don't fit into bookcases. I have over $300 worth of credit at the used bookstore, it used to be more...much more. Books are an addiction.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm going to make a meatloaf tomorrow and was wondering SizzlininIN Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 23 02-17-2005 12:50 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.