Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have just finished reading Gordon Ramsays Humble Pie...very short book but good!

I have just started the new one by JK Rowling The Cuckoo’s Calling...her alias Robert Galbraith

It's not often that characters from a book stay with you after you finish reading but I have to say that is the case with Almost Heaven by Chris Fabry. It was a lovely book. Lots of drama but simply told. Takes place in the West Virginia mountains and includes the main character's guardian angel's observations as well. It is a beautiful story and very thought provoking getting you think about God's relationship with us. I'll be getting the sequel June Bug as soon as my new credit card arrives!

It's not often that characters from a book stay with you after you finish reading but I have to say that is the case with Almost Heaven by Chris Fabry. It was a lovely book. Lots of drama but simply told. Takes place in the West Virginia mountains and includes the main character's guardian angel's observations as well. It is a beautiful story and very thought provoking getting you think about God's relationship with us. I'll be getting the sequel June Bug as soon as my new credit card arrives!

Their are several series that will always be with me. The first one is "My Friend Flicka" by Mary O'Hara. The sequel was "Thunderhead." The Bicentennial Series by John Jakes. The "Exiles" and all the eight sequels that followed. And Barbara Braddock has had some great series. These make you impatient for the next book to follow to become available.

When the Bicentennial Series was in the making, every morning going to work, you could see every one on the subway had a book in hand and was intently reading it. The whole train car was totally silent. Same going home at night. During the lunch hour, parks and any benches in the area had readers sitting there intently reading. It was a series that grabbed the nation and made readers of a lot of folks that would never think of picking up a book. :angel:

I'm reading the Kindle edition of "Seriously, I'm Kidding," by Ellen DeGeneres. Thankfully, there haven't been many people at the pool lately, cuz I'm laughing out loud!

Just finished "Bad Monkey" by Carl Hiassen, another fun read.

It's not often that characters from a book stay with you after you finish reading but I have to say that is the case with Almost Heaven by Chris Fabry.... I'll be getting the sequel June Bug as soon as my new credit card arrives!

Unless you absolutely want a hard copy for your own personal collection, why not head to the library and get a copy there? Even my library system has it, so EVERYBODY must have it by now! :LOL: I'm a terrific library patron...after baseball season is over.
hide.gif

I am currently reading a crime novel by Robert Crais called ''Suspect''. I thought when I picked it up it would be another ''Joe pike'' hero book. This is about a German Shepard ''Maggie'' who was a military dog that has just returned from Afghanistan. Her and a L.A.P.D. officer meet at a K-9 training center. Both have many physical and physiological problems to overcome. Her military training becomes a great asset to solving a case that involves murder and corruption.''Interesting and informative''

Last edited:
I was just introduced to Robert Crais by Vitauta -- the book was Two Minutes, which I thought was a cracking good read. A fast-paced page-turner. I'm eager to try another, so thanks!

Thanks to Kindle I am re-reading a book I read when I was very young. "Tales of Secret Egypt", by Sax Rohmer.
It 's almost like traveling back in time. Not sure what happened to that book.
Strange how things like that can get away from you.

I love Robert Crais books. I've read everything he has written and I think Suspect is his best ever.

Thanks to Kindle I am re-reading a book I read when I was very young. "Tales of Secret Egypt", by Sax Rohmer.
While sorting out my books to send to the charity shop I re-read all of the "Romney Marsh" stories by Monica Edwards which I had collected in my childhood and teens. They were written between the late 1940s and the 1960s but I was surprised to see how well they have stood the test of time. The plots the books were structured round have relevance today and the activities of the children in the books were very believable. They also read very well to an adult (not just because of nostalgia) and, as a former teacher, I think this is the test of a good children's book.

Didn't Sax Rohmer write the Dr Fu Manchu stories? I used to terrify myself by reading them under the bedcovers with a torch when I was about 11. Later, in my teens, a Sunday afternoon radio comedy show on the BBC - "Round the Horne" - had sketches involving a fiendish Oriental criminal mastermind Dr Chu En Ginsberg MA (Failed), played by the unforgettable Kenneth Williams (he of the "Carry On" films doing his best to be sinister in one of his usual silly voices), accompanied by his concubine Lotus Blossom, played in a deep cockney voice by Hugh Paddick. Appearing in the show in short sketches he was the villain in adventures such as "The Man with the Golden Thunderball", which also spoofed James Bond. (Sorry, this will probably be lost on the non-Brits around here.)

Last edited:

Thanks, Hoot. I checked Amazon, it's free for Kindle!

I'm reading "Become a Frugalista in 30 Days-Money-Saving Secrets for the Frugal Family Manager" by Susan Heid via the Kindle app on my tablet. It is a great read. Many things you already know, but as a package it is quite enlightening.

Things have gone way to far along for me to have any hope to catch up to this topic. In May I signed the deal to move into my new house, I moved in June (cleared out my storage unit on the first day of summer), I was fixing things in July and now starting to slow down in August. (I had my first day off from heavy labor earlier this month.)

Each night I would read a few more pages from my first purchased ebook: Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane. It's an urban fantasy and I really enjoyed this book! Although I totally destroyed it by reading it over a period of about 6 weeks, 8-10 pages at a time. I kept thinking I might restart at page 1 and read as I usually do, an hour or two at a time... but didn't. Instead I worked hard every day and then read some of the novel when I went to bed, and since I was so tired I rarely lasted more than 15-20 minutes.

Now reading my first J.K. Rowling novel, The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Gailbraith. That's right, Rowling wrote the novel under a pen name. And I'm enjoying it!!! (Also in Kindle format.) It's ironic that I tried to read Rowling's first non-Harry Potter novel The Casual Vacancy in June (during escrow) but just couldn't focus, and had to return it to the library because there was a long wait list.

So I'm treating Cuckoo a bit better and seem to get about 20-30 minutes per night, as I am settling into my new life in my new home, and as my new home settles down.

I hope to read all the Harry Potter novels one day, and as far as that goes, catch up to the final movies too. And then read The Casual Vacancy, just to see what book she came up with. As soon as Rowling announced her latest and last Potter novel would end the series I predicted she would turn to adult fiction, just because I knew that such a prolific author couldn't just wind down and grow gardenias for the rest of her life. I'm pleased that my prediction was accurate.

So I'm enjoying The Cuckoo's Calling and after about 100 pages I know my faith Rowling could write adult novels was accurate.

Also, I know Stacia Kane has several sequels to Unholy Ghosts and I'm not going to even consider reading them until I get my concentration back. I'm looking forward to reading a great series!

I've been interested in lots of genres during my reading career and lately I'm really enjoying urban fantasy. (Rowling's novel is a suspense genre, not even a hint of fantasy.) Kane looks like she's got a great series going (according to my Internet friend who recommended it) and I'll have plenty to read until my next urban fantasy favorite author releases a new novel.

Now if only George R.R. Martin could get busy on the 6th (of 7 planned) Game of Thrones novel... Fantasy of a different sort...

Last edited:
Greg, I can relate completely. If you can't concentrate you find yourself reading the same paragraph over and over. I have also had some books that I just couldn't get into. After ten pages or so I just give up.

One time I got a book from the library about the Krupp Family in Germany. They were the ones that provided all the arms for WWI and WWII. They also built "Big Bertha". This book had over 1,500 pages. I would take it to work and read it on the subway. Man, that book was so heavy. But I really got into it. Folks would look at me like I was a real nut. Folks even would ask me what was I reading. The answer always surprised them. The only answer I ever got was "Oh". But you could not distract me while I was reading that book. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reading a crime mystery novel ''Her Last Breath'' by Linda Castillo. Police Chief Kate Burkholder is investigating a tragic fatal car accident. It takes place in the largely Amish town of Painters Mill Ohio. I have read an other book by Castillo called ''Breaking Silence''. Kate being from an Amish family herself makes for an interesting situation. I like the atmosphere and tension between Kate and Her community. Linda Castillo has written Eight more books I hope to read in the future.

One time I got a book from the library about the Krupp Family in Germany. They were the ones that provided all the arms for WWI and WWII. They also built "Big Bertha". This book had over 1,500 pages. I would take it to work and read it on the subway. Man, that book was so heavy. But I really got into it. Folks would look at me like I was a real nut. Folks even would ask me what was I reading. The answer always surprised them. The only answer I ever got was "Oh". But you could not distract me while I was reading that book. :angel:
E-Readers are a great resource in these cases.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom