Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My GF was reading that and I haven't been able to drag out a final opinion from her yet.

What be yours?

I am on a waiting list at the library with 2 people ahead of me. I will give you my opinion when I'm finished. I read Fatal Beauty and that left me with the opinion that she is not guilty, but these books are written from Amanda's point of view. I would imagine a book written from the Kercher family's camp would make her appear very guilty.

This is such a long shot. Back in the 80's I read a book about a young woman who had a relationship with a guy from a wealthy family. She got pregnant. He talked her into having an abortion which left her unable to have children, then he dumped her. She made up her mind to get revenge. She worked her way up to become head of her own corporation and little by little brought his family's company down, without him knowing her identity, until the end when she let her identity be known. This was back when I first got into serious reading and didn't really pay attention to authors names. I don't recall the title of the book or the author, but something makes me think the title of the book was just one word.

Maybe someone recalls that story.

My GF was reading that and I haven't been able to drag out a final opinion from her yet.

What be yours?

Haven't finished it yet, Greg, and do admit that I waver back and forth as I read. I think Casey Anthony's case (and O.J.'s) re-established a worm of disbelief or at least suspicion in court decisions and, yes, pretty faces as well. I'll report back when the book is done, but I may not have a firm decision as to guilt even then. Please post your GF's thoughts when she has decided, if she doesn't mind.

I think the post about whose point of view we're hearing is well taken.

Carol, there were several dozen people ahead of me on the library's waiting list. It didn't take very long, but then I don't know how many copies were circulating. Hope yours is available soon.

Carol, there were several dozen people ahead of me on the library's waiting list. It didn't take very long, but then I don't know how many copies were circulating. Hope yours is available soon.

My waiting list is for an e-book from the library's website. The bad part about that is each person can have the book for 14 days. At that point, the library just takes it back. Because you don't have to actually go into the e-book and return it, most people don't do it. They just let it go until the library takes it. I usually return them when I'm finished in case someone else is waiting for it, but then I am just a nice, considerate person.

Thanks for the comments about the Amanda book. My GF is involved in the health care insurance business (including Obamacare) and she hasn't even had time to chat with me, let alone about books...

I'm still working on the Anne McCaffrey series The Rowan. I'm a couple of pages from finishing book 4 and will probably start book 5 before going to bed tonight.

I'm on the last book of the Dire Earth Cycle...good books if you like apocalyptic type books. I better hurry, Shrek is almost done with the second one and will be anxious to start the third. I love finding a new author.

Thanks for the comments about the Amanda book. My GF is involved in the health care insurance business (including Obamacare) and she hasn't even had time to chat with me, let alone about books...

Hey, Greg - been wondering about how it's going re your settling into your new house. Is there an update in another thread I can check on? I imagine everything is out of boxes by now. You know . . . . inquiring minds (and nosy people).

I'm on the last book of the Dire Earth Cycle...good books if you like apocalyptic type books. I better hurry, Shrek is almost done with the second one and will be anxious to start the third. I love finding a new author.

I've started The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. It's the second book of a trilogy, beginning with Oryx and Krake (she has just published the third book, so I'm trying to get ready for it). Grim, grim. I'm balancing it with chapters of David Sedaris' Aesop's-Fables-like small book, Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk. Crazy, man.

I know Atwood isn't new, (did you know she is Canadian), but this book is surely apocalyptic.

I've started The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. It's the second book of a trilogy, beginning with Oryx and Krake (she has just published the third book, so I'm trying to get ready for it). Grim, grim. I'm balancing it with chapters of David Sedaris' Aesop's-Fables-like small book, Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk. Crazy, man.

I know Atwood isn't new, (did you know she is Canadian), but this book is surely apocalyptic.

Thanks, Lizzie...I'll certainly look Atwood up.

Well, I thought I'd read a few pages of the 5th of the Rowan series, Lyon's Pride, last night, and didn't get to bed until 1:30 AM. Exciting stuff.

I was on the waiting list for "Waiting To Be Heard" on the library's e-book website. I received an email stating that the ebook is available and on hold for me, but when I went to the website this morning, it is down. So I went on the regular website and reserved the actual book, and another one. I will go to the library some time today to get them, and also ask them when the website will be back up. I get nervous about this because I fear that at some point, lending e-books will not be permitted. Social Security does not provide enough money to be paying for ebooks. I will be shattered!!!

I'm half way through the last of the Rowan series. My latest order for used books arrived so I'll be following up with 4 more Jeffrey Deaver books.

I was on the waiting list for "Waiting To Be Heard" on the library's e-book website. I received an email stating that the ebook is available and on hold for me, but when I went to the website this morning, it is down. So I went on the regular website and reserved the actual book, and another one. I will go to the library some time today to get them, and also ask them when the website will be back up. I get nervous about this because I fear that at some point, lending e-books will not be permitted. Social Security does not provide enough money to be paying for ebooks. I will be shattered!!!

I hope you get to read it before the finish of the new trial that is ongoing in Italy. A 'guilty' verdict this time would muddle the whole matter.

I hope you get to read it before the finish of the new trial that is ongoing in Italy. A 'guilty' verdict this time would muddle the whole matter.

I called the library and they were not aware that their website is down. They are now "working on it."

I should have it today or tomorrow. I would expect any book coming from the Knox side of the story will make her appear innocent, and any book coming from the Kercher side to make her appear guilty. I read reviews on Amazon for both books, and even the people reviewing the Kercher family book seem to feel that Amanda is innocent. It's really a tough call. I tend to think she's innocent.

Last edited:
I'm in between books. Trying to read some oldBen Bova stories, but they are so dated they are ridiculous. Back to the stacks...

There are three authors whose books I read long ago. There are a couple at the end of each of their series still waiting for me. For the last two winters I've not gotten around to it. Decided rather than find someone new to read I'll pick between the three previous series and load up with the first few books from one of them. Now to decide between Rita Mae Brown, Lilian Jackson Braun, or Margaret Truman. Decisions, decisions...

Back
Top Bottom