Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You would have loved Gillian's discussion with Carl Hiaasen. I loved the book. My sister-in-law hated it. I can't wait to see the movie.

Here is a hysterically fun discussion between Gillian Flynn, Megan Abbott and Laura Lippman about their love for Lifetime Movies. It was one of the major highlights of the past weekend.

Audio Archives | Megan Abbott, Gillian Flynn, Laura LippmanFatal Vision: The Imprint of True-Crime Movies | Key West Literary Seminar

Thanks for this, Phinz! I do plan to listen to it in its entirety!

I just finished the latest James Patterson Women's Murder Club offering, 12th of Never, and I have started Alex Cross, Run by the same author. I have NYPD Red and Private: Berlin waiting in the wings.

When I get down to the last one, I will probably order a bunch of Clive Cussler books, and by that time Dan Brown's Inferno should be available in paperback

I was listening to "Open Book" (a book review programme on BBC Radio 4) this afternoon. The programme has a snippet at the end where writers are asked to name "The book I'd never lend". Today it was Jeffrey Deaver ("The Bone Collector"). His choices were Robert Frost's poems and (of more interest to DC) the other was his grandmother's 1936 edition of "The Joy of Cooking".

A sensible man of very good taste

I'd like to read that, but it isn't available for Kindle. Oh, pooh!

Which reminded me of different trilogies, different time and place, I read (and re-read) years ago.

The Balkan Trilogy by Olivia Manning.
The Levant Trilogy , same author

Read them many years ago and they were serialised on the radio fairly recently. Enjoyed both but felt that if I'd been Harriet I might have murdered Guy quite early in the proceedings!

Last edited:
Finished up "Dinner With the Smileys" last night. Delightful, warm, and real. Enjoyed every chapter, sniffled through a few stories. Now I want to start inviting people I know of but don't know over for dinner...except Himself hates to socialize, especially with people he doesn't know. What a wet blanket! :LOL:

I'm just about to start "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone". I gave TB the movie bundle for Christmas and we just have the last two left to watch (for the third time, but this time in a shorter period of time so they flow better). The commentaries with the writers and JK Rowling got me interested in reading the books. I know they are skewed to a much younger audience than me, but I just love reading! I was able to get the whole series of books on my tablet's Kindle app.

I'm just about to start "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone". I gave TB the movie bundle for Christmas and we just have the last two left to watch (for the third time, but this time in a shorter period of time so they flow better). The commentaries with the writers and JK Rowling got me interested in reading the books. I know they are skewed to a much younger audience than me, but I just love reading! I was able to get the whole series of books on my tablet's Kindle app.

The books "grow up" LP, and they are worth the read.:)

Oh, I'm not worried. I am really looking forward to them. I have the Chronicles of Narnia in both book and audio form and still go through them once in awhile. Good literature is not age exclusive! :)

Perfect, you will enjoy the stories, then.:)

Laurie, even though the Harry Potter series started for young readers, the characters and plot are good enough that many adults enjoyed them as well. I know I did!

I'm currently reading an Agatha Christie mystery starring Hercule Poirot "Hallowe'en Party" which I'm slogging through. After the fast paced mysteries that are written today, this one is fairly pedestrian. Interesting plot though. Just tough sitting through all of the interrogations Poirot does.

When the first Harry Potter book came out, I read an excerpt in Newsweek magazine and was hooked. Loved them all.

One of our exchange students gave me JK Rowling's latest for Christmas - "The Casual Vacancy." So far, pretty interesting .

I like youth books. just finished Days of Blood and Starlight as Audiobook and now Dustlands waits for me - both books for the young readers...

I seldom write a review for books but I just did at B&N. Just thought I'd pass it on.

I just read the last page, and I'm forever changed by this trilogy of books so beautifully told about a remarkable woman. I'm nearly in tears and missing her already. Nancy E Turner painted such a rich picture of Sarah Agnes Prine that I'll be forever affected by the memory of her. Don't miss reading these episodes in order..."These is My Words", "Sarah's Quilt" and "The Star Garden". If there were 10 stars to rate these books I would have used them.

If you like historical fiction these books are a really great read.

I seldom write a review for books but I just did at B&N. Just thought I'd pass it on.

I just read the last page, and I'm forever changed by this trilogy of books so beautifully told about a remarkable woman. I'm nearly in tears and missing her already. Nancy E Turner painted such a rich picture of Sarah Agnes Prine that I'll be forever affected by the memory of her. Don't miss reading these episodes in order..."These is My Words", "Sarah's Quilt" and "The Star Garden". If there were 10 stars to rate these books I would have used them.

If you like historical fiction these books are a really great read.

These sound fascinating, will look for them. Thanks Kayelle!

Back
Top Bottom