Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This one doesn't seem like it's going to be the Marley-type story, and my wife has said as much. She read it first and she would not have put it in my lap so soon after losing our beloved Havana if she didn't feel it was uplifting.

Thanks, Phinz...I'll take a look at it.

My favorite reading matter is American historical novels Dawg. These books will go down as some of my very favorites like "The Proud Breed", "Follow the River","From Sea to Shining Sea".

You might like Conrad Richter's 'Ohio Trilogy' stories of the American frontier.

I will warn you. I know what's coming in the story (the same thing that took Havana) and it will probably upset me, but we have to deal with that every time we take another living being into our life as a companion, be they 2 or 4-legged.

I will still read it...I have a need to read these kinds of books.

Thanks for the tip Lizzie, I'll look into them.

About dog stories..I hate to cry when I read cuz I can't see. With a movie, seeing isn't so important. :(

Last edited:
I finished the book last night. I cried like a baby, but the rest of the story was so much more uplifting that it was worth it.

Now I'm reading The Maltese Falcon.

Finished the Agatha Christie book and just started 2 different books. One is "Confessions of a Prayer Slacker" on how to improve my spiritual life and the other is James Patterson's "10th Anniversary" one of his Women's Murder Club series.

Just finished reading a book by Marjorie Edelson. "Malkeh and her children".
A historical novel about Russia from about the time after abolishing slavery in Russia, 1861, till about mid 1920's. An impressively well researched book. It fallows a Jewish family and everybody connected to them thru those turbulent years. If you are interested in history and that period of time. I strongly recommend you read it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Last edited:
For some reason the early part of "Jane Eyre" does it for me every time I read it. Yet I know it has a happy ending. How weird is that?

I don't think it's weird at all. Something sad is sad, even if things end up happy later. You are empathizing with the moment of the book, not the book as a whole. Nothing weird about that.

I do have books to read when I want to cry. The end of Marley and Me is good for that.

Loved that book, PF. The ending just about killed me because our dear, sweet Justin had the same condition as Marley. Can you say, "Cried like a baby?" It didn't help, either, that Justin looked a lot like Marley. Double-whammy!

You're welcome Dawg. I put the Amazon site here hoping you'd see it. I use B&N for my Nook and got it at the same price. Looks like a fun read!

Ruth Reichl, Gourmet's editor in chief, is the author of the best-selling memoirs Tender at the Bone, Comfort Me with Apples, and Garlic and Sapphires, and the forthcoming Not Becoming My Mother and Other Things She Taught Me Along the Way. She is executive producer of the two-time James Beard Award-winning Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie, which airs on public television across the country, and the editor of the Modern Library Food Series. Before coming to Gourmet, she was the restaurant critic for the New York Times, receiving two James Beard Awards for her work. She lectures frequently on food and culture.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom