"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #1641
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I love Elmore Leonard and Hiassen. We loved the TV series (that didn't last long, I guess you have to have a certain sense of humor) as well. Lately my library seems to have gotten on a kick of Scandinavian murder mysteries, so just finished The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (sorry, don't know how to get that last o correctly). Right now I'm reading one of those cupcake mysteries. This time of year I want reading, light!

yes, we love these guys--leonard, vonnegut, hiaasen and douglas adams (hitchhiker's guide to the universe) - all with a quirky side we share - they make us laugh, they make us think, they remind us who we are....
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #1642
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker
I am still looking for the book "Michael Vey" written by Richard Paul Evans.
Try Amazon.com, $9.88. The Kindle price is the same. Sounds interesting!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #1643
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

yes, we love these guys--leonard, vonnegut, hiaasen and douglas adams (hitchhiker's guide to the universe) - all with a quirky side we share - they make us laugh, they make us think, they remind us who we are....
Love the quirky.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #1644
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
I think Douglas Adams would be a fine choice for that "who would you like to have dinner with, living or dead" question.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #1645
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I think Douglas Adams would be a fine choice for that "who would you like to have dinner with, living or dead" question.
what a bountiful banquet of fertile, celestial minds we would have gathered round our humble, hungry table! tinlizzie, you would be one of my honored earthly guests, with five invitations of your own, to distribute as you see fit...
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #1646
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
what a bountiful banquet of fertile, celestial minds we would have gathered round our humble, hungry table! tinlizzie, you would be one of my honored earthly guests, with five invitations of your own, to distribute as you see fit...
If I slept on these I'd no doubt change them out for five more, but here goes:
Teddy Roosevelt, for stories of his travels and his general enthusiasm for life
Michael Palin, ditto, plus gossipy Python stories
Ben Franklin - I just watched the miniseries on his life (what a guy); seems like he would be approachable
Werner Herzog, just a fascinating personality with a unique outlook (I recently saw his documentary of monks creating a sand mandala)
Dame Judi Dench - to represent the feminine view (with such a long career in film, she must have many stories to tell, if she would - Sean Connery, etc.......)
- five already. Does this mean I can't have Douglas Adams?
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #1647
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
If I slept on these I'd no doubt change them out for five more, but here goes:
Teddy Roosevelt, for stories of his travels and his general enthusiasm for life
Michael Palin, ditto, plus gossipy Python stories
Ben Franklin - I just watched the miniseries on his life (what a guy); seems like he would be approachable
Werner Herzog, just a fascinating personality with a unique outlook (I recently saw his documentary of monks creating a sand mandala)
Dame Judi Dench - to represent the feminine view (with such a long career in film, she must have many stories to tell, if she would - Sean Connery, etc.......)
- five already. Does this mean I can't have Douglas Adams?
very interesting selections, with some surprising ones. dame judi dench? really? what, oprah wasn't available? jk, jk! (oprah--bless her) yes, tinlizzie, doug can still come....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #1648
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
very interesting selections, with some surprising ones. dame judi dench? really? what, oprah wasn't available? jk, jk! (oprah--bless her) yes, tinlizzie, doug can still come....
As I hinted, I was not above using Dame Judi to get to Sean Connery... And your five?
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #1649
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Just finished Murder in Little Egypt, the True Story of a Filicide, by Darcy O'Brien. An amazing book and one of the characters, Marilyn Leonard, sold her house here in our area to my younger brother. She signed the book I read and wrote a short note to him.

It's a true-crime account of a family murders in the southern Illinois area known as Little Egypt. It's central character is Dr. John Dale Cavaness, a native son who practiced medicine in the Little Egypt area of southern Illinois. For a time one of the most beloved men in the area, Cavaness led a secret life--he abused his family, squandered his considerable income on drink and drugs, and eventually killed two of his sons, presumably to collect the insurance.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #1650
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
If I slept on these I'd no doubt change them out for five more, but here goes:
Teddy Roosevelt, for stories of his travels and his general enthusiasm for life
Michael Palin, ditto, plus gossipy Python stories
Ben Franklin - I just watched the miniseries on his life (what a guy); seems like he would be approachable
Werner Herzog, just a fascinating personality with a unique outlook (I recently saw his documentary of monks creating a sand mandala)
Dame Judi Dench - to represent the feminine view (with such a long career in film, she must have many stories to tell, if she would - Sean Connery, etc.......)
- five already. Does this mean I can't have Douglas Adams?
i had no idea how HARD this guest list was going to be to make! swear, i must be the world's most indecisive person, i think. and continuing to agonize over my choices right now as i type...ok, ok, here goes: mark twain, emily dickenson, j.k. rowling, michelangelo, shakespeare and beethoven. anybody else willing to share your dinner guest list with us? do we need a new thread for this?
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm going to make a meatloaf tomorrow and was wondering SizzlininIN Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 23 02-17-2005 12:50 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.