"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #1661
Executive Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 4,884
I have completely run out of books, Borders is gone, and I didn't see anything interesting on the supermarket book rack, so I am catching up on my Food & Wine, Cooking Light, Healthy Cooking, and Everday Food magazine subscriptions.
__________________

__________________
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #1662
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
I went to the library yesterday and picked up two Jamie Oliver books: jamie's italy and jamie at home. The second book is based on his TV show of the same name.
__________________

__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #1663
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
I have been reading the four hour body lately by tim ferris

really good book on different type of foods that enhance your body and well being
__________________
tastypastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #1664
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
almost through with "father forgive me" true story of nun murdered in ohio. don't know if the priest was convicted or not.will let you know and will list the author then.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #1665
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
can someone recommend a book that i will be reluctant to finish, feel sad to leave? i miss that kind of book ending--the one that feels like bidding goodbye to a dear friend....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #1666
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta
can someone recommend a book that i will be reluctant to finish, feel sad to leave? i miss that kind of book ending--the one that feels like bidding goodbye to a dear friend....
I just started Elizabeth Peters' "Crocodile on the Sandbank", I am liking her style so far. She has a series, all available on Kindle. About a very independent feminist, circa 1890, who travels. Sorta Miss Marple-like.

Back to work, not much time to read now.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #1667
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I just started Elizabeth Peters' "Crocodile on the Sandbank", I am liking her style so far. She has a series, all available on Kindle. About a very independent feminist, circa 1890, who travels. Sorta Miss Marple-like.

Back to work, not much time to read now.
school can act as a very effective stimulant for book reading, actually....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #1668
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

school can act as a very effective stimulant for book reading, actually....
Ah, I would agree, but right now there's too much stuff going on, Vit. Been in the education biz for over 28 years. I'm exhausted.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #1669
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Ah, I would agree, but right now there's too much stuff going on, Vit. Been in the education biz for over 28 years. I'm exhausted.
my ex was a h.s. social studies teacher, and it always seemed like school year beginnings were marked by huge commotions and upheavals, thankfully followed by a period of settling down and settling in. i hope you have that quieting time at yours, dawg. hey, 28 years, you're a "seasoned" educator by now, then....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #1670
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

my ex was a h.s. social studies teacher, and it always seemed like school year beginnings were marked by huge commotions and upheavals, thankfully followed by a period of settling down and settling in. i hope you have that quieting time at yours, dawg. hey, 28 years, you're a "seasoned" educator by now, then....
Thanks for the support, Vit! You would not believe all the crap...anyway, check out Elizabeth Peters.

The one book I read over and over as a kid and a young adult was " Gone With the Wind", always hoping for a different ending. Probably my favorite movie too.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm going to make a meatloaf tomorrow and was wondering SizzlininIN Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 23 02-17-2005 12:50 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.