Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
Glimpses of the Moon by Edmund Crispin

"Professor Gervase Fen is in Devon working on his masterpiece critique of the modern novel, but keeps getting distracted - by the local animals (several pigs, a mildly insane cat, a horse with sleeping sickness), by the spectacular failures of the local electrical board, by the vicar's practical jokes, by the retired major yearning for another jolly war. Oh, and by the dismembered body, found in a nearby field, whose head keeps turning up in the most unlikely places."

http://www.amazon.com/Glimpses-Moon-Gervase-Fen-9/dp/1937384039

I am SO beyond tired of books that have phrases like "she stared into his steely eyes and felt something lurch in her stomach"!! (That was from a book called Hidden by Kendra Elliot that was supposed to be a mystery where the only real mystery is why was it ever published and why people gave it hundreds of 5 stars!)

So I'm going back to some real writing. Glimpses of the Moon has a piquant English sense of humor also and is a bit old fashioned. That's quite all right with me! So far no steely eyes or lurches in the stomach.

Glimpses of the Moon by Edmund Crispin

"Professor Gervase Fen is in Devon working on his masterpiece critique of the modern novel, but keeps getting distracted - by the local animals (several pigs, a mildly insane cat, a horse with sleeping sickness), by the spectacular failures of the local electrical board, by the vicar's practical jokes, by the retired major yearning for another jolly war. Oh, and by the dismembered body, found in a nearby field, whose head keeps turning up in the most unlikely places."

Glimpses of the Moon: Gervase Fen #9: Edmund Crispin: 9781937384036: Amazon.com: Books

I am SO beyond tired of books that have phrases like "she stared into his steely eyes and felt something lurch in her stomach"!! (That was from a book called Hidden by Kendra Elliot that was supposed to be a mystery where the only real mystery is why was it ever published and why people gave it hundreds of 5 stars!)

So I'm going back to some real writing. Glimpses of the Moon has a piquant English sense of humor also and is a bit old fashioned. That's quite all right with me! So far no steely eyes or lurches in the stomach.

Thanks for the nice review Cave. It's a real help when people say something about what they're reading instead of just leaving a title.

Thanks for the nice review Cave. It's a real help when people say something about what they're reading instead of just leaving a title.
You're welcome---- it's not that hard to copy paste a review and give the url to it. Come on, guys. :)

Someone on the movie thread said "I liked it.":LOL: No reference to what he or she liked either. More giggles.

Last edited by a moderator:
just wondering if any of you are enrolling in that new kindle free book program? i'm having a hard time determining if spending $10 a month for unrestricted access to the huge kindle library would be a practical deal for me. it sure is a mighty tempting one. if i do decide to go with a trial kindle subscription, i will cancel my hulu+ membership to help offset the cost.

I am so un-enamored with the Kindle that I wouldn't even consider it. I just cannot give up my dead tree books.

just wondering if any of you are enrolling in that new kindle free book program? i'm having a hard time determining if spending $10 a month for unrestricted access to the huge kindle library would be a practical deal for me. it sure is a mighty tempting one. if i do decide to go with a trial kindle subscription, i will cancel my hulu+ membership to help offset the cost.

I'm thinking about it, Vit. I already get a lot of cheapies and freebies from BookBub, and just signed up for more on DigitalBookSpot. I may look into the 30 day free trial.

Am reading Agatha Christie's Make Mine Murder! In the book there are 3 stories. Appointment With Death~Peril At End House and Sad Cypress.

I don't have time to make good use of it. Plus.. do I need an actual Kindle device (not the app) like the lending library? Cause I have a prime membership and can't use the lending thing because I don't have an actual Kindle anymore.

I am so un-enamored with the Kindle that I wouldn't even consider it. I just cannot give up my dead tree books.

Heretic. :)

Do you listen to music on dead tree vinyl too?

I don't have time to make good use of it. Plus.. do I need an actual Kindle device (not the app) like the lending library? Cause I have a prime membership and can't use the lending thing because I don't have an actual Kindle anymore.

Heretic. :)

Do you listen to music on dead tree vinyl too?

frank, i'm quite certain that you don't need to have an actual kindle device in order to use the kindle free service. i don't have a kindle reader myself, but have been purchasing kindle books for my pc for years. and, the way amazon has set it up, you are actually 'buying' your kindle book selections for $00.00, not borrowing them. i'm not sure if i will make adequate use of this kindle free feature either, but i think i'll just give it a go and find out.

I felt the same at first and I still love my dead tree books. Cluttered book shelves are a necessary part of my decorating scheme. But I've warmed up to it because:

1. Instant gratification. I see a book I want and it's downloaded within a minute. No need to wait for it in the mail or go out and try and hunt it down in a store.

2. Being able to enlarge the font is really nice. My eyes sight is declining. I ordered a book on Amazon recently and when it came in the mail the font size was so small it was unreadable for me, unless I wanted a headache. I donated it to Goodwill and will down load it so I can read it without a magnifying glass.

3. I love reading in bed but it disturbed DH when I would turn pages, etc. Now I can just turn the page with a click of the forward button, no need to shift hands, rustle sheets, etc.

Keep it in mind, especially if you start noticing the small font issue is starting to effect your reading pleasure.

I felt the same at first and I still love my dead tree books. Cluttered book shelves are a necessary part of my decorating scheme. But I've warmed up to it because:

1. Instant gratification. I see a book I want and it's downloaded within a minute. No need to wait for it in the mail or go out and try and hunt it down in a store.

2. Being able to enlarge the font is really nice. My eyes sight is declining. I ordered a book on Amazon recently and when it came in the mail the font size was so small it was unreadable for me, unless I wanted a headache. I donated it to Goodwill and will down load it so I can read it without a magnifying glass.

3. I love reading in bed but it disturbed DH when I would turn pages, etc. Now I can just turn the page with a click of the forward button, no need to shift hands, rustle sheets, etc.

Keep it in mind, especially if you start noticing the small font issue is starting to effect your reading pleasure.

I sooo agree with all your points mm.

Before my kids gave me my Nook Tablet, my life long reading for pleasure was over......zip, done. Although my glasses/contacts allowed me to read small print, it had become a chore rather than a pleasure to read an interesting book. That's just bunk, when technology has given me such pleasure again, and the light is always perfect. Dead tree books hold no pleasure for me anymore and dusty book shelves are a PITA for this old gal.

I'm sure at some point font size may be a problem. I stopped reading in bed a couple years ago due to chronic insomnia, bed is for sleep (or sex) only, so reading in bed is out.

You have good points, but I love my dusty books.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom